Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:11 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Ha, man do I feel dumb re this topic. I must have been in quite a mood to go this awry. But I still think money sure talks even in these toughest of tough times upcoming. That's where many folks are really going to have issues. It is hard to bridge gap tween trying to homestead & self-suffice w/ land, food, etc. -- all while lacking large startup costs.

So, again I'm off my own rant & topic, haha. But I do know what I'm trying to convey, though it seems I get worse trying to design a good plan in a reasonably short time, since time is a wasting in this day & age.
Nothing of value is easy. Money is just a tool same as any other, it isn't how much you have, but how you use it.

If you want a cheaper way to start out, you can look to lease a property, or do a rent to own agreement. That cuts start up costs.
Instead of buying new equipment, learn to do your own repair and fabrication, buy used equipment at auctions and rebuild it or repair it. A lot of times farm equipment bought at auctions are perfectly fine, but thousands of dollars cheaper than buying new.

Undeveloped land is great and usually cheaper, and you can set it up the way you want it, but you may have to invest in a well, home, having power run or setting up your own generation system, all of which can cost big bucks, so a place with water and sewer at least all ready in place can be very valuable.

When I look at land, I also look for building materials on the land, what I could use to build a home or barns no matter if it's timber or rock or clay for mortar. Anything that you can use from the land to build with cuts your start up costs.

When I look at property, the first thing I look at is "what can I do with this". Can I raise crops, (dryland or irrigated), is it primarily pasture land for livestock, is there enough water for livestock or for irrigation, is there a live stream or is it all well water. Are there products on the land I can use to sell to offset the mortgage such as timber or building stone I can sell right away? Are there crops like hay already planted that I could sell, could I rent pasture? If there are fences and water in place, renting pasture is a lucrative option especially for for people that have horses as a pet. They pay big bucks for a good pasture for their animals. If you have enough resources for a rancher to pasture cattle, it's usually less per head, but you have more animals so still can be a good money maker.

Is there a deeded right of way. Is there public land close by or bordering? How far to a maintained road so I can get in and out so I can haul my production to market.
The big one, "are the covenents?" If yes, then it's a no sale.

I currently own or am partner in 3 properties, which is another option for you, getting a partner or partners. Splitting the costs may increase the amount of property you can afford, and equipment can be easily shared, as can the work so you don't need 3 tractors for instance, just one.

There are ways to accomplish your dream, but you will need to work at it, and sometimes think outside the box to get what you need.

Good Luck.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 11-16-2015 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:22 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Nothing of value is easy. Money is just a tool same as any other, it isn't how much you have, but how you use it.
Yeh, but it used to be much easier. Everyone on here whines about people not growing their own food, producing their own energy etc. but many people would, were the costs of land and start-up not so high as to be practically prohibitive.

Quote:
If you want a cheaper way to start out, you can look to lease a property, or do a rent to own agreement. That cuts start up costs.
You still have to figure out what you will do long-term for a living. Monthly payments in a rural area without jobs and customer base equal no long-term prospects. On the other hand, land around urban areas is prohibitive in cost.

Quote:
Instead of buying new equipment, learn to do your own repair and fabrication, buy used equipment at auctions and rebuild it or repair it.
I have heard this said many times. Tinkering with your old car on a weekend does not equal depending on the old diesel truck for survival a 100 miles away from the nearest mechanic.

Quote:
When I look at land, I also look for building materials on the land, what I could use to build a home or barns no matter if it's timber or rock or clay for mortar. Anything that you can use from the land to build with cuts your start up costs.
Meanwhile you got to live and pay bills....

Quote:
I currently own or am partner in 3 properties, which is another option for you, getting a partner or partners. Splitting the costs may increase the amount of property you can afford, and equipment can be easily shared, as can the work so you don't need 3 tractors for instance, just one.
Having partners is a HUGE risk. Most people are out there to ********* you out of your money.

Quote:
There are ways to accomplish your dream, but you will need to work at it, and sometimes think outside the box to get what you need.

Good Luck.
Increasingly less ways to do so. We are slowly going back to feudalism where everyone will be a tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness