Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 PM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,117 times

Advertisements

You are being driven from your home on short notice.
A tsunami? A volcano?
An invasion?
A civil uprising?

You have a partner and a vehicle.
You are not sure if you will ever be able to return.
What do you take to get to safety in a remote rustic cabin on high ground 4 hours away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 02:53 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
This is what bug-out bags are for. Many people put a great deal of thought into them. It's a 72 hour survival kit, and often encompasses more than one "bag". The one thing about it is, it should always be ready to "grab and go".

YouTube has a ton of vids showing the contents of many people's bug out bags.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:08 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
In addition to my go bag, I'd grab some extra food water, guns, ammo, flashlights, blankets, etc. If you have a spouse, you should both have a go bag containing essentials. Expect that you will have to abandon your car; the highway will be a parking lot unless you got a jump on everyone else. If you have a cabin, you should have supplies at and/or near the cabin.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
What do you take to get to safety in a remote rustic cabin on high ground 4 hours away?
I'm already there. I took everything.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:44 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
You are being driven from your home on short notice.
A tsunami? A volcano?
An invasion?
A civil uprising?

You have a partner and a vehicle.
You are not sure if you will ever be able to return.
That's easy, you take the prepared modules (bags, containers, barrels, whatever) along with anything else special that isn't packed that you want. But, that's child's play.

Take it to a more realistic approach. You are out at a wedding, funeral, church, dinner or the kids game and suddenly you have to get, and your home is no longer in play, Now, what do you have with you or what can you get that you need? That's what separates the Barbie and Ken preppers from real life!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:25 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
For those of us that routinely face situations where we may have to evacuate, you keep a lot of tools, camping gear and other supplies always in the vehicles. The cabin is always stocked, and we have backup places owned by friends and family where we could go, or they could come to me if needed.

All locations are within 2 1/2 hours travel from my worksite house by vehicle, and can also be reached by foot or boat in less than a week.

Valuables like family pictures, make several copies and store in several places. Same with other important documents that you can have certified copies of the originals, keeping the originals in a secured place where they are safe even if it could take some time to access them in a disaster, they are still safe for recovery when the disaster passes.

Not rocket science, just a little preplanning and forethought.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:14 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
My work truck is always pretty ready.

Spare pistol and ammo.
Zombie knife/machete
Bolt cutters ( to cut through roadway fencing or gate locks)
Flint n steel
Shovel
Hand axe
Jumper cables, air pump
Duct tape
Gloves
Rope
Walking stick (I never have it for impromptu hikes, so carry it behind backseat now.
Blanket
Mag light
Map books, state topographical, national Rand McNally.

Jeeze, looking at my list I hope I'm not mistaken for a kidnapper...

When our house was threatened by fire the priority was guns, papers, photos, most valuable of art collection of about 20 pieces. We have two trucks.

In a zombie apocolypse I'd swap the art for ammo and food and take all we had, plus our bail out trunks of camping gear.

Last edited by jamies; 12-13-2015 at 01:05 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
20 minutes? No problem. I back up to the travel trailer, which is already supplied with everything, including dog kennels. The dogs are trained for an evacuation drill, everyone, all at once, run as fast as you can and jump into the car.

I grab my purse, the computers, and the guns. I still have 15 minutes, so what I grab next depends upon what the emergency is.

Depending upon what the evacuation is for, though, I am better off staying here. I'd only be leaving if it was for a wildfire. For a wildfire, my credit cards will get me through, because that is just for a couple of days.

I can see the local volcano, but it can't reach me. The river level would have to rise over 600 feet to flood my neighborhood. Civil unrest, I'm better off right where I am. Pandemic? Stay where I am. Space aliens invade, I will have to play it by ear.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:55 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Pack my car? I live in the middle of 10 acres at the edge of forest service land. I'm already here.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:04 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,417,945 times
Bug out bag that is already packed and ready to go, firearms, extra ammo, a few gallons of water, recently filled gasoline can, couple of pillows, extra blankets. Maybe a few other items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness