Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 01:14 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times

Advertisements

I discovered these two channels recently. The people who have made them are intelligent, knowledgable, and articulate. I suggest that you view my links. If you like them watch more. The first video satisfies a common question from the tyro in a way you may not expect. The second two are hard core survivalist. If you're one of the good guys you'll enjoy them all.

The man who has the DemolitionRanch channel is a veterinarian. He also has VetRanch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4FQgrU2fYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wW5KR1pDxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5iJZjw8k40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 02:56 PM

They squeal about self-sufficiency but they don't even have enough interest to watch youtube channels. They wish to do only what's trendy even in producing food. They certainly have no interest in real self-sufficiency as exemplified below.

Cody has made a hundred videos on bees and honey; he really is a beekeeper. They all think that he's a nasty doomer or survivalist, however, because he makes videos on manufacturing black powder. That's probably why they won't look at his other videos. They're afraid of having information that isn't approved for good liberals. They know that they should buy lye at a store. That's what real homesteaders do.

I won't stop in my attempt to attract new people and bring back some of my old friends. I miss ognend, bigpaul, and Openmike as well as a host of others who disappeared long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT_vhBymkYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4VEZk9ccWg

Old 03-09-2016, 03:55 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I miss ognend, bigpaul, and Openmike as well as a host of others who disappeared long ago.
I think what you really miss are the flaming and trolling -- you, who authored the thread, "The attacks must stop". This board is different than it was back then. We have attracted new people, and they are interested in a variety of subjects, none of which you care to contribute to.

I looked at your video material. You know that I am pro-gun. You claim that these videos are for "survivalists". A survivalist is not just The Rifleman! A true survivalist is a man of many talents. A lot of those talents have been discussed on this board, in just the past few weeks.

There is a gun forum here on C-D...this is not it. There is also a political forum...this is not it. You criticized the changed content here as "slop". This is the moderators' choice, not ours. This board had to be calmed down, and it has been. Some of the old crowd likely will find it boring. Can't please everyone.

You know, I'm sure, where to find your "friends".

Old 03-09-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

I looked at your video material. You know that I am pro-gun. You claim that these videos are for "survivalists". A survivalist is not just The Rifleman! A true survivalist is a man of many talents. A lot of those talents have been discussed on this board, in just the past few weeks.
As I stated, one of these men has made a hundred videos on beekeeping. The other has another channel on veterinary medicine. They both are familiar with many topics that I am not. I wish to learn. I do that be investigating topics which are new to me. Limiting oneself to only topics on which someone considers himself an expert limits that individual's potential for knowledge and ultimately his ability to survive.

There's more to a self-sufficient life than being a gardener and a handyman.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:54 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinzas View Post
The other things are not in danger of being outlawed. Guns are, especially efficient fighting rifles.
Agreed.

There is a gun forum here on C-D. This is not it. People who come here to discuss self-sufficiency and preparedness can be - and have been - alienated by firearms discussions.

Not everyone buys in totally to "survivalism". Let the preparedness folks have a peaceful forum.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinzas View Post
The other things are not in danger of being outlawed. Guns are, especially efficient fighting rifles. The lack of the other things will not result in your death in less than one second. The lack of a gun DOES so result, several times a day in the US. My favorite 2 channels are GrierWolf and Dave Canterbury, but NativeSurvival is very close. He has more stuff than Grier, but I dont agree with as much of it. :-)
Guns are of critical importance.. Without them it's rather silly to make any plans to survive disaster. We saw what happened to the unarmed after Katrina. I've treated several different weapon concepts in the past and have a few more ideas. My next will probably be focused on the Brown Bess Musket. Since we can make our own powder although not without danger, knap our own flints, and cast our own bullets without any assistance from the grid, the flintlock might be considered our last ditch survival gun. There's a decent amount of introductory material in Fox Fire 5, a book I highly recommend.

Guns are appropriate on this forum if in a survival context. Since precious metals and hard investment threads are also appropriate it's reasonable to treat guns and other weaponry as investments. Semiaiautos that look like assault rifles often have little to recommend them and would seem to appeal to the least knowledgable who usually read the gun forum while a mint Colt Cloverleaf would likely stir more hearts here.

Here's a list of suggestions for this forum. Our moderator hasn't posted in a while, but neither the administrator nor the senior moderators have seen fit to disavow it through deletion.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...e-posting.html

I like and respect people who are intelligent, highly educated, and prosperous. Socially acceptable backgrounds are important as well. Most others simply bore or irritate me. Dave Canterbury wouldn't be an acceptable dinner guest, but Cody of Cody's Lab or the veterinarian from DemolitionRanch certainly would. Jeff Williams would be most welcome as well. He seems largely self-educated, but that's still educated. I'll post his latest production at the end.

Primitive technology is interesting, sometimes useful, and connects to the general history of technology.

If you believe that someone is trying to bully you, imposing his or her ideas on what this forum should be, please report it. The owners of city-data.com are the only ones who can decide that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qijikMDN5nc

Old 03-13-2016, 03:09 PM

Try buying .22 long rifle or air gun pellets five years after zombie apocalypse. The time for experimentation is before the fact when life is calm and peaceful, not when the streets are full of riotous mobs. If the big one never happens I've lost nothing. I've gained because I've learned. The individual who won't experiment is confined to what is generally known.

Even good experimenters can suffer from lack of information. I've linked to a production of Royal Nonesuch, a bright young man. It's sad that he's forced to do what others have done before him. Ruger tested its Old Army before release with very heavy smokeless powder loads; they had no problem. Some years ago an NRA publication described using 5 grains of Red Dot in a black powder load to reduce fouling. It works and there are no ignition problems.

I haven't found one possible solution, then refused to try anything else. In fact, I'm not looking for that golden solution simply because I don't believe that it exists. I try one thing after another. Some ideas prove to be practical; some don't. It really doesnt matter because I can learn as much from a failed experiment as I can from one that is successful.

It's far better to have found and tested several weapons system than it is to rely on one just as it's far better to have developed different food storage plans rather than rely on one that may turn out to require something that's no longer available.

Someday I need to discuss my research using a Shiloh Sharps chambered in .45-120-550. It's very different from either a .338 Lapua or a Barrett chambered in .50 BMG, but it can accomplish some tasks that those two cannot.

When a person.loses the desire for knowledge he has begun his decline into senility and death. It may happen at the ages of 25, 65, or never. I've chosen to strive for the last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpQrFkucaaQ

Old 03-13-2016, 07:21 PM

Stocking ammo probably will be a better way for most. However, things don't always work out the way someone may wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness