Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 05:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Wait, what? That doesn't make any sense. I thought Putin was a big fan of Trump, along with the Iranians, and Russian media seems to favour Trump over Clinton, not least because he's divisive within NATO. I know it's a bit off the main topic, but I had to say it.

Donald Trump Returns Vladimir Putin's Effusive Praise - The Atlantic
Trump doesn't believe that this country must find a war. The Bush-Clinton-Obama cabal has kept this country in useless, expensive, and counterproductive wars for fifteen years straight, usually on the wrong side. It has wrecked the Mideast and the fallout is now wrecking Europe.

Ron Paul has my heart, but Don Trump has my vote. Ronald Reagan would have liked him and respected him.

People will lose interest in survivalism under Trump just as they did under Reagan. That's fine. Survivalism is a means, not an end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 08:04 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Wait, what? That doesn't make any sense. I thought Putin was a big fan of Trump, along with the Iranians, and Russian media seems to favour Trump over Clinton, not least because he's divisive within NATO. I know it's a bit off the main topic, but I had to say it.

Donald Trump Returns Vladimir Putin's Effusive Praise - The Atlantic
Yes, I apologize for the bad information. I heard about the act and just picked the first two sources to link up to which had a pretty misleading headline.

Putin is wanting to settle the area in the region, which I think is pretty cool. It will be interesting to see if anyone takes him up on it. I don't watch TV, but it actually would probably be one of the better reality shows if they filmed a group of people trying to start a town out in the middle of nowhere out there.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:07 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times
2 and a half acres ???

Old 05-18-2016, 06:48 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I wish America would do something like this. There are a lot of people buried in eastern cities with no job prospects and a lot of debt who would jump at the chance to settle and produce something on land out west. Provided there is still land out west that can be farmed or used productively.
People with no job prospects and a lot of debt who are "buried in eastern cities" likely wouldn't last one winter somewhere that's open enough to be homesteaded. I also doubt many of them would be interested in giving it a try.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:09 AM

242 posts, read 276,392 times
If you don't mind being on the border with the Mongols and Chinese, barren landscapes (are any with mature trees?) and subject to Russian laws.

It's not a bad option I suppose but the US seems to offer a lot more than desolate land that is probably less fertile than Greenland?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 AM

242 posts, read 276,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
2 and a half acres ???
Old-timers made do with just a quarter acre in some extreme cases (requires intensive gardening and bartering). Get to an acre and it eases up some. 2 and a half would be fairly comfortable. You'd need building materials shipped in unless it was chock-a-block with trees though.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:21 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times

Who can argue with this guy???? Not only is he a little off center, but he is Alaska Roosevelt (Theodore)

Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
2.5 acres?

I can picture my harvester cresting that early dawn hill now...

Old 05-30-2016, 04:50 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Anyways looks like he would like to entice 36 million people to move to the Far East to secure Russian influence on the border where the Chinese are eyeing the oil and gas reserves. The Russian government recommends people settle in groups of 200-300, and promises to build at least basic infrastructure for groups of 20 or more settlers. An individual would get 2.5 acres including children, so a family of 5 could have 12.5 acres. Any farm, hunting, guide, lodge or thrill seeking business will suffice.

And here is the best part. You can live absolutely tax free for the 5 years you're living there until it's officially yours.

And here is the other best part (except I'm happily married) there are 9 million more women than men in Russia making dating multiple women a real possibility.

I doubt my wife will be thrilled when I tell her I'm moving to Russia. Maybe in the winter, I'll just ride a snowmachine over from Alaska and find me one of those Russian wives .
The Russian Far East is pretty cool country. Go there and take a look. It is a country for tough people, but I am sure that there are many Americans that will survive and prosper there.

The only downside for American women....every American I know that went to work and live in the Russian Far East ended up with a Russian wife. That did not please the American women.

If you can find an old Playboy from the early 1990's that featured the "Women of Vladivostock"....well, that will get you packing.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:37 AM

911 posts, read 2,156,280 times
Please let me know if somewhere I won't freeze to death offers a deal like this... Philipines, perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness