Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 05:54 AM

160 posts, read 147,064 times

Advertisements

No internet no tv no thing, your basic needs will be met and thats it. You have pencils and paper. Exercise, think, meditate, fantasize, what else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 06:56 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
No internet no tv no thing, your basic needs will be met and thats it. You have pencils and paper. Exercise, think, meditate, fantasize, what else?
What could you do?

I don't watch TV and I think I could go without the internet forever, not just a year. Pencils and paper? That's all there was in my day. I could do plenty with those. Does this means you can't go outside? If I could go out to the yard, there are plenty of projects there for me to work on.

If I could have my dogs, things would be fine. You did not mention communication with family; I would worry about my wife, our daughters, my grandchildren. Mature people tend to have close family.

Otherwise, a year would go by pretty quickly, judging from the last several!

Old 12-17-2016, 07:40 AM

160 posts, read 147,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
What could you do?

I don't watch TV and I think I could go without the internet forever, not just a year. Pencils and paper? That's all there was in my day. I could do plenty with those. Does this means you can't go outside? If I could go out to the yard, there are plenty of projects there for me to work on.

If I could have my dogs, things would be fine. You did not mention communication with family; I would worry about my wife, our daughters, my grandchildren. Mature people tend to have close family.

Otherwise, a year would go by pretty quickly, judging from the last several!

What can you do with pencils and paper for tens of thousands of hours..

You cant go outside. You have one dog, what would you do exactly. You cant communicate with anyone, your completely alone.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:41 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
Quote:
Sounds like an ideal prison design!

Old 12-17-2016, 08:08 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,060,166 times
Quote:

Under your stated conditions I would guess the situation may fall harder on the younger generations who, on average, tend to rely more on technology (texting, social media, gaming, etc.) as a way of socializing and communicating. "Old Schoolers" still know how to use a pencil sharpener, among other skills that may fare them better.

Would be interesting to put this to the test.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:27 AM

993 posts, read 767,353 times
Quote:
I'd find it freeing. Especially if I had a dog. I'd try to minimize my worry about family because what the heck could I do about it?

I don't watch TV now, no internet....no problem. Outside of missing my husband and family I think I'd be ok. Living without music and books would be hard. But if I had unlimited paper and pencils? I'd write, draw, walk, design.

It would be interesting to try for a month.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:32 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I'd find it freeing. Especially if I had a dog. I'd try to minimize my worry about family because what the heck could I do about it?

I don't watch TV now, no internet....no problem. Outside of missing my husband and family I think I'd be ok. Living without music and books would be hard. But if I had unlimited paper and pencils? I'd write, draw, walk, design.

It would be interesting to try for a month.
Living without music and books would be very hard for me. I guess I would write stories whose plots would have something to do with music and musicians. I've had an idea of a somewhat fantasy/mystical story about Richard Wagner and the king of Bavaria floating around in my head for a long time, so I would start writing that.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:17 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,421,470 times
I'm not sure how anyone could say they would be just fine alone in a house with pencil and paper for a year. It would be beyond boring, close to torture for me. Hell in prison you at least get to kill time with TV.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:27 AM

993 posts, read 767,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm not sure how anyone could say they would be just fine alone in a house with pencil and paper for a year. It would be beyond boring, close to torture for me. Hell in prison you at least get to kill time with TV.
Ha! Yeah, I felt that way at one time too.

Three years ago I fell and suffered a brain injury. Until about 2/3 months ago, I spent 80% of my time in bed with earplugs and an eye mask to block light and noise....extreme migraines, fatigue, confusion otherwise. I learned to meditate out of desperation. I was forced to learn how to quiet down. I'm not saying it's better than being active, but I did adjust. It's different and offers a rich perspective. No one was more surprised than me. Being an introvert helped.

Now that I'm able to be up and around, I'm carefully choosing my exposure to noise especially. No TV ever....but I never watched it. And we moved from lower MoCo near the beltway to west of Frederick in a quiet country locale. Heaven. Not all that far from you if you live in Mt. Airy.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:36 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,246 times
Interesting challenge. So you cannot even go outside? Hmmm... With only papers and pencils, I would draw, write down my thoughts, definitely meditate, practice math, write songs and sing them (that would solve the no music dilemma), write stories and read them out loud, design buildings or other objects, study my dog's behavior (and draw his/her portrait), and exercise/do sit ups with a vengeance. At the end of one year---I should be a pretty good artist, in shape, a decent lyricist and dog whisperer--not to mention somewhat enlightened and wiser for the wear. One would hope.

By the way, you'd have to let the dog outside to do their business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness