Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 09:05 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times

Advertisements

I'm a healthy 26 year old woman, 5'11 and 125 lbs. But my hands get cold to a bothersome extent if the temp dips below 45F. I hate having to always wear gloves.

Is there any way to increase my hands' tolerance to cold? The rest of my body is fine. In fact, my average basal temp is over 99F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 11:11 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
Move to Phoenix or Miami, it usually stays above 45. Problem solved.

You sound about normal. Most people's hands get cold around there. I was cleaning some windows yesterday and it was about 45, my hands were going numb!

Old 01-08-2017, 01:50 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,490 times
Get your thyroid tested.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:17 AM

678 posts, read 438,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Get your thyroid tested.
That ^

Old 01-08-2017, 05:47 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
I doubt if it's your thyroid. Always somebody dispensing medical advice for free.

Do as I do: get a couple pairs of merino wool fingerless gloves. They are very warm, lie flat, and cover all but the last inch or so of your fingertips. That just happens to be the part that you need to use, to handle keys, sunglasses, writing pens, or whatever tools you may be using. Some of them come with a 'mitten flap' that you can pull over your fingertips. But I think the fingerless ones look cool! I wear them all winter long (yup...northern Maine) and can use my hands in comfort.

BTW, I was given a 6-pack of Atlas Therma Fit gloves as a gift. I highly recommend these for really cold wear! I had never heard of them before. It's a soft, lined cotton glove that lies flat but is really warm....then they dip the palm and all the fingers in thick, gray rubber. Waterproof, excellent grip, and not bulky. If you live in snow country, give 'em a try!

Old 01-08-2017, 06:51 AM

136 posts, read 135,784 times
You can't train your body to like the cold more. You can choose to ignore discomfort but your body is still going to react to cooler temps by protecting the core and sacrificing the extremities to some degree. Wear the appropriate safety equipment ( in this case, gloves or mittens ) to protect your extremities.
It's like the women I know who hate to wear hats because it "messes with their hair". So they dismiss practicality and comfort in the interest of fashion. Makes no sense.
5 11 and 125, you're on the thin side so I am guessing you don't tolerate cold well at all. Your hands are simply the canary in the cold mine that alert you to your overall predisposition of being cold-adverse.
If you're in a more southern climate, you'll tend to not like cold temps in general. Blood being thinner or whatever. Southern folks have a tougher time in a four season area like mine that turns cold til they acclimate and learn to dress for the weather and change their patterns of conduct to account for the realities of four seasons.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:53 AM

136 posts, read 135,784 times
You can't train your body to like the cold more. You can choose to ignore discomfort but your body is still going to react to cooler temps by protecting the core and sacrificing the extremities to some degree. Wear the appropriate safety equipment ( in this case, gloves or mittens ) to protect your extremities.
It's like the women I know who hate to wear hats because it "messes with their hair". So they dismiss practicality and comfort in the interest of fashion. Makes no sense.
5 11 and 125, you're on the thin side so I am guessing you don't tolerate cold well at all. Your hands are simply the canary in the coal mine that alert you to your overall predisposition of being cold-adverse.
If you're in a more southern climate, you'll tend to not like cold temps in general. Blood being thinner or whatever. Southern folks have a tougher time in a four season area like mine that turns cold til they acclimate and learn to dress for the weather and change their patterns of conduct to account for the realities of four seasons.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:48 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Cold hands can be a precursor for Raynaud's, a condition which can exist on its own or can be an early symptom of scleroderma or lupus. Talk to your doctor if your hands (starting with your fingers) turn white when exposed to cold, then blue and finally red when circulation comes back. Feet can also be affected.

Medication can help, but cannot cure this condition. Good gloves, biodegradable hand-warmers (available at big box stores), and avoiding smoking and second-hand smoke, and eliminating or lessening caffeine consumption in cold weather can help.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
ive got pretty bad arthritis in my hands due to making thousands of pounds of sausage in a cooler for 3 plus hours and made the mistake of running warm/hot water over hands when it should have been cold.....
I use to go scalloping in he winter time and also work in the woods for firewood.....

you can buy handwarmers that do help.....you can wear gloves.....that help

you can plan ahead.....warm your gloves in your house or car before you put them on ...going outside..

if its a circulation issue,,,, then start lifting some dumbells....(weights)...and also the resistant hand squeezers

this helps me a lot,,,it brings lots of blood to the area.....

an old time weight lifter once told me that if we don't do anything to bring blood to extremities,,,then the veins will narrow

eats lots of meat/protein...its good for the blood

Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Our eldest son has always had problems with his hands and feet being cold. In his 30s he was diagnosed with Hypoglycemia. He is not diabetic though. Once that diagnosis was confirmed, it makes sense looking at his behavior, etc, all his life [including the cold intolerance]. Now he knows about how to handle his body.

Something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness