Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 09:30 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,275,428 times

Advertisements

I watched a man in front of me at the Winn-Dixie store meekly hand over his driver's license to be scanned. He was told it was required for his purchase of wine.

I responded with my usual redneck/hillbilly attitude and asked why. The cashier told me that it was to verify age. I asked why he couldn't look at the driver's license (or my gray hair and age spots) to verify age. He said it was company policy.

I told him to call the manager. I asked her why. She said some of their employees were putting in fake dates of birth so people could buy alcohol. I asked how they were verifying the dob . . . were they scanning the data in the chip on Louisiana' s licenses? She refused to answer, but did say the only information they recorded was the date of birth - no other info.

I suggested they hire a better quality employee. She did not take the suggestion well.

I had the old Winn-Dixie store discount card and did a good bit of shopping there. The new card requires more information and an email address. I will not be getting the new card. I will still be shopping at Winn-Dixie. They are an excellent store. But I will also be shopping elsewhere.

Please not make comments about how available the info is. I simply do not want to make it easy for my personal information to recorded. I value my privacy.

Are any of you running into this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 10:54 AM

7,271 posts, read 4,214,344 times
Just imagine if they ban cash and move to an all digital currency. They will know even more about you and increase control over the population. 1984 is around the corner.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:54 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
For one thing, the scanning of the license is to ensure that the driver's license is valid. While the cashier may be able to easily look on the license for a DOB, he/she may not be trained to notice if the license is valid. And under many state laws, a valid ID is only valid if it has not reached its expiration date. Many stores/restaurants could lose their liquor license if they get caught selling alcohol to someone who furnished a fake and/or expired ID. That being said, scanning is also a lot more efficient. It takes less time and takes all the guess work out of it. That store employee was doing his job and my hat's off to him for sticking to policy.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:44 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I'm assumimg that your state issues Real ID licenses only (or you opted to get one with the little gold star for Federal ID, so you could fly). This is a real shame. One of the reasons that we settled in Maine (although we have properties elsewhere) is that Maine is the only state that I know of, that has opted out of Real ID licenses. As in, they don't offer one for their drivers. You either take a plain ol' regular drivers license, or you can go get a license from another state.

I have a plain ol' regular driver's license. Anybody wants to see it, can look. There's a magnetic strip on the back, with very little info. But no RFID chip to "scan". Suits me fine!

Old 04-03-2017, 03:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
[quote=Nor'Eastah;47725443]I'm assumimg that your state issues Real ID licenses only (or you opted to get one with the little gold star for Federal ID, so you could fly). This is a real shame. One of the reasons that we settled in Maine (although we have properties elsewhere) is that Maine is the only state that I know of, that has opted out of Real ID licenses. As in, they don't offer one for their drivers. You either take a plain ol' regular drivers license, or you can go get a license from another state.

I have a plain ol' regular driver's license. Anybody wants to see it, can look. There's a magnetic strip on the back, with very little info. But no RFID chip to "scan". Suits me fine! [/QUOTE

Montana also doesn't have "real" ID.
We need passports to fly commercial now.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Montana also doesn't have "real" ID.
We need passports to fly commercial now.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,275,428 times
Went back to W-D for ground meat and the manager said she checked with her superiors and was told that she could manually verify ID and DOB if the customer objected to the computer scan of the REAL id. She said she still didn't understand why anyone would object UNLESS THEY HAD SOMETHING TO HIDE. Told her my life was an open book only for God.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:18 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
As an FYI, RF ID's are not a requirement of Real ID's. That's just some tin-foil hat loony's conspiracy theory.

All States are half in compliance with REAL ID, The part they are ALL IN COMPLIANCE with is sharing your information among government agencies. That's right folks, no matter what state you are in, your information is now in a national database being used. Think about it; how in gods name is a police officer in California able to know all about you when you hand them some drivers license from a state that is not in compliance? What part of accessing information from the drivers licenses do you not understand?

The issue is that under the REAL IS ACT, the documents and process to absolutely identify that a person is who they say they are and are legal in the USA must be performed in a regulated manner. This is the issue many states are having. All the BS gum flapping nonsense your state politicians blab over sharing information is a con job on the stupid idiots of that state. All it now means to not be in compliance is the state does not want to verify that a person is not an illegal or using a fake identity, that's all it means!

Two years ago DHS completed the integration of all systems so now your DL number is enough to pull up everything in all the databases on you. All they can't do is ensure that the person issued that DL was able to prove they are actually that person.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Please not make comments about how available the info is. I simply do not want to make it easy for my personal information to recorded. I value my privacy.
I looked up the types of licenses issued in LA. According to your state, the enhanced or RealID licences were first issued in October of 2016, and that the older non-federal types are still available in that state. What this means is that you had to have chosen to receive one of those licenses with the gold star and chip, and fairly recently - within the last 6 months or so.

They never issue these without the recipient knowing. You would have had to provide more paperwork to get one - your birth certificate and SSN for starters. Most states now also require more documentation of your physical address. You would have had to be aware of this. Maybe it was sold to LA residents as being needed to board a plane.

If having your info on a chip upsets you, according to the state website, you can go back and get a regular, non-chipped license. You should consider doing this, and just using your passport to board a plane, when that is required. Passports are chipped also, but stores don't ask for them.

Don't blame Winn Dixie, or vent your frustration to us. You should have asked more questions when you renewed your license. If the chip is there, more and more people will want to scan it.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:20 PM

375 posts, read 610,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'm assumimg that your state issues Real ID licenses only (or you opted to get one with the little gold star for Federal ID, so you could fly). This is a real shame. One of the reasons that we settled in Maine (although we have properties elsewhere) is that Maine is the only state that I know of, that has opted out of Real ID licenses. As in, they don't offer one for their drivers. You either take a plain ol' regular drivers license, or you can go get a license from another state.

I have a plain ol' regular driver's license. Anybody wants to see it, can look. There's a magnetic strip on the back, with very little info. But no RFID chip to "scan". Suits me fine!
Maine is one of four states that have failed to comply with the Real ID mandate; the other three are MT, MO, MN.

LePage slams Legislature for slow action on Real ID, then vetoes bill to help veterans get passport cards - Portland Press Herald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness