Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:25 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

What would you do & makes more sense?

I know y'all think I'm looped n off my rocker (perhaps I am, but in this world its gonna help if so) but should I go another vehicle vs my Ford rig (however if grid down or EMP occurs, I'd need a no-computer one & thus pre-1981 or before) or just buy weaponry -- as in my 1st AR15 -- or simply invest in goats as they'd provide chow in times of need for survival? This is a legit question & no, I'm not half-in-the-pan while typing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Full in the pan?

Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
I vote for none of the above.

Save your cash. Cash is king right now. Don't be in any hurry to part with it, esp since you are not settled on your own new place yet. Priorities, priorities...

Old 03-27-2017, 06:46 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Don't save your cash. Horrible idea, no offense to Nor'. I have what you need. I built an EMP resistant Chevy Suburban, 350 with points and coil and a real generator rather than the alternator. It is built on a 76 3/4 ton 4x4 chassis, and I put a 91 body on it(last year for the square body). Comfortable, like a goat in the hills, and as EMP proof as anything with moving parts can be. You need it. I don't need it because I am not loading up and gong anywhere in that scenario, because nowhere would be better than where I already am, especially being one of a very few traveling the road on something other than feet... So see, Nor' is way off base on this one!

After the wheels, then you need an AR. And ammo. Got enough ammo, I guarantee the ability to trade 5.56 rounds for goats in post-apocalyptic America. And the 'Burban gets you gone with the goats before the former owner can load his magazine and attempt to get his goats back! You just win, and win, and win. Big league!

Old 03-27-2017, 06:54 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I'd go with food, cash and PM's, before cars and guns.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
What is your weapon situation like now? If you don't have any guns, get the AR. Nothing else will matter if you can't defend what you have. What good are goats or a running far if anyone can just decide to take them.

However, if you already have a few other guys and adequate ammo, maybe I would put a car ahead of goats.

Reason being it's practical, it's something you can use daily and you need a car for transportation. I know you already know, but make sure it does not need any sort of electronic fuel injection (so it must run on carberateur) no ecu computer etc. Just a boring old basic engine would be worth it's weight in gold if there was an emp.

However you could easily get an AR and goats for cost of a vehicle. You can buy a decent already built AR for 600-700 easily. Or build your own for under 600.

Don't forget ammo. Get as much ammo for any gun as you can. When you need it in the future you won't be able to get it. It will become unobtanium.

And if you have enough ammo you can use it for trading.

Good luck

Old 03-27-2017, 11:14 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
You could get a good used car, and buy an AR, a pile of mags and ammo, and a herd of goats with the difference!

Old 03-28-2017, 12:36 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
Don't save your cash. Horrible idea, no offense to Nor'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
You could get a good used car, and buy an AR, a pile of mags and ammo, and a herd of goats with the difference!
....and all this will do him how much good, when he still has no defensible homestead, no place to raise the goats, no retreat? Some things are worth saving for, and for the present, cash is still the coin of the realm, not PMs. He wants to move from AZ to a country place in some redoubt or other, and he'll never get there by being distracted along the way by pretty things!

Old 03-28-2017, 01:10 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post

What would you do & makes more sense? .......
I'd go with priorities first. If I was in your situation then I'd feel that none of those things are priorities yet. First priority is to have your own homestead property to protect and to keep those other things located at. Once you've got your homestead then start thinking about other things to get. You might find that your circumstances and priorities have changed by that time anyway.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:13 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
....and all this will do him how much good, when he still has no defensible homestead, no place to raise the goats, no retreat? Some things are worth saving for, and for the present, cash is still the coin of the realm, not PMs. He wants to move from AZ to a country place in some redoubt or other, and he'll never get there by being distracted along the way by pretty things!
My post was total tongue-in-cheek, buddy. Just having a little fun. Don't get yer back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness