Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:53 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times

Advertisements

Personally I think we'll see humans on Mars in our lifetime. It's the billionaires race between Musk and Bezos if nothing else. Assuming that succeeds and colonization is started anew, would that be a consideration? What would have to be in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 04:23 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Airs a bit thin for me.....................Maybe too much Ray Bradbury???

Old 07-21-2017, 06:44 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Personally I think we'll see humans on Mars in our lifetime. It's the billionaires race between Musk and Bezos if nothing else. Assuming that succeeds and colonization is started anew, would that be a consideration? What would have to be in place?
Absolutely not.

All life forms natural to planet earth are made up of the same chemical elements as occur naturally in the earth's crust, water, and atmosphere. Did you know that human blood is the same percentage of salinity as the oceans? We are a natural product of the planet where we originate.

Life forms (none known as indigenous to other planets in our solar system) can only be naturally supported on their native planets. Placing a human on Mars is only possible if the human is enclosed in a space suit that regulates heat, humidity, and atmospheric pressures consistent with planet earth. Anyone who supposes otherwise will meet with quick and certain death.

Would you want to live that way? In an enclosure that must mimic conditions on earth? To never be able to venture outdoors without a special, expensive suit? What happens in a power outage (other planets also have storms), when earth-like conditions cannot be maintained? What happens when shipments of food, purified water, oxygen tanks do not arrive from earth in a timely fashion, or because some earthly politician decides to curtail shipments due to cost?

Some wealthy people should not be saved from their follies.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
There's no reason why Mars wouldn't work. All the basics are there for self-sufficiency. Breathing units would be necessary until some leap of technology allows oxygenation of the atmosphere, but that's no big deal.

It could be a free country or group of countries. That's what's important to me.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
I'm a dreamer and even a musk fan. But I have serious doubts about colonizing mars anytime soon.

We can't even get a decent sized seasteading floating country going in the ocean which seems millions of times logistically easier than Mars. We haven't ever had a colony on the moon or anyone there for any serious length of time. We haven't had any sort of orbiting colonies ( Think the ISS on steroids). So those things make me think that no colonization of Mars is happening anytime soon. We may send some humans there someday, but I think failure and death is all but assured for the first ones.

It would also be horrible from a self sufficiency standpoint as it would be 100% reliant on resupplies from earth. If the resupplies ships don't come, everyone dies, and they'll take a long time to get there.

I'm all for it, and like that people are actually planning it out. However my little earthling brain just can't fathom the logistics of it actually working.

Why not just start with orbiting colonies musk? Or the moon? That seems very doable and a heck of a lot closer. We should start with a human mission to Mars then we will see about the whole colonization thing.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:33 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,303 times
Definitely a last bugout place. Probably die of starvation, radiation, or lack of oxygen before arriving, but whatever lands there stays there.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
It took us 65 yrs to advance from Kitty Hawk to Tranquility Base. We haven't been back to Tranquility Base in over 45 yrs.

Talk about "Preparedness?" To colonize Mars, you'd have to pack two of everything, and if the second one breaks too, you'd have to wait almost two years for your Amazon drone delivery of it's replacement to arrive.

Why colonize? Commercial exploitation of the planet? Shipping costs of that 1 oz of gold (value a-grand-and-a-half $) would be hundreds of millions of $.

Musk is getting rich living off govt subsidies for his boondoggle projects. Value of his stock ~$4.5B. Govt subsidies to him ~$4.5B.

Manifest Destiny was a concept that applied to the extension of the USA all the way across N.Am. It's a paradigm that just won't work in space exploration.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:40 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
I understand there's significant complications to bugging out there, but if I'm Bezos, already feared enough that he can tear down valuations of Home Depot merely by saying he's working with Sears and Kenmore, or send shares of Target and Wal-Mart on a tear down simply by buying Whole Foods, then he's got the ability to get some great engineers on this. While he's located in Seattle....which knows a thing or two about putting together aerospace craft, though their likely still upset Boeing opted for Chicago as HQ.

Anyway, the goal would be for self-sufficiency, not for trade back to the US. Basically, design your own city....and pick who you want to be able to go with.

In Musk's corner, he has reusable rockets that could supply near earth space fabrication. Once in Space, there's no cost to towing the items to Mars....just in stopping once it's there. It could be a bug out location for scientists. Once established and self sufficient....other than sentimental communications, the whole world could go nuke itself and the colony wouldn't be affected. No tax. No murderous criminals (unless they were brought). If everyone was checked prior to launch....you'd lose many diseases. The average IQ of the planet would be ridiculously high. There's no great outdoors....but then look at how kids entertain themselves today.

The difficulty in colonizing Mars is what makes it a super attractive Bug Out place. The prospect of additional growth and possibilities makes it a bad investment, but still an investment.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:23 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times
Maybe in 100 years or so. Maybe, I doubt it.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:13 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Colonizing any other planets is a ways off. First we need reliable space vehicles capable of making round trips a d of sufficient size to haul lots of equipment and supplies. Liquid fuel rockets won't cut it. We also need ships that can attain much higher speeds to make space travel practical. Nuclear power is our most advanced ced but I know of no engine design that has been adapted to produce thrust for space travel.

Setting on another pplanet is a cool concept. It's fun to dream about. But nobody has done enough dreaming to even get us truly ready for it. It seems a gimme that sooner or later we're going to have to branch out to other planets but we're not there yet. Space travel itself is not developed enough. It won't happen in my lifetime.

Funny, science fiction saw us being a LOT more advanced by 2017. Lol, not quite. We haven't built ships around HAL computers just yet. We sure haven't built hyperspace ships or even put a base on the Moon. And even if we did it would probably be dedicated for offensive military purposes. When I was a kid reading Heinlen and such I always dreamed of being a space colonist. Packing an energy weapon on my hip and wearing my environmental suit, living in a do.e on some remote and inhospitable planet with dangerous alien predators running around outside. Like Heinlens Water Seekers in Red Planet. Getting around on ice skates and vehicles using frozen canals.

Gonna have to wait a bit longer methinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness