Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 08:53 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,983 times

Advertisements

A simple answer is, the ammo will last a good while. What is debatable is who will have it. There are billions, if not trillions of rounds in private hands, and at least that much in military arsenals. Actually, law enforcement would be among the first to run out, due both to their higher expenditure in such times, and the fact that departments are not generally deeply stocked. If we are all running around engaging in firefights with the neighbors, it will get quiet rather quickly, but I do not intend to be engaging in such escapades, I have a fair amount of the stuff, and I plan to have it for a long time. Some young fool in a city who wants to play Rambo will either be out of ammo sooner than I, or more likely dead, and someone else possessing his ammo. Long story short, it will be a long time before there is no ammo. How long it is for you depends on how much you have, and how you use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 09:00 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,872,159 times
This may be over stating a simple idea but, keep buying as much as you can afford/spare.

It really won't go bad. You can always use it. You can never have too much. It will increase in value like an investment. And if unfortunately you are ever in a situation where you "need" a large quantity you will be glad to have it.

If you have it in excess in dire times (think extended Grid down) you can trade it for goods and services that you didn't have.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:14 AM

178 posts, read 173,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
A simple answer is, the ammo will last a good while. What is debatable is who will have it. There are billions, if not trillions of rounds in private hands, and at least that much in military arsenals. Actually, law enforcement would be among the first to run out, due both to their higher expenditure in such times, and the fact that departments are not generally deeply stocked. If we are all running around engaging in firefights with the neighbors, it will get quiet rather quickly, but I do not intend to be engaging in such escapades, I have a fair amount of the stuff, and I plan to have it for a long time. Some young fool in a city who wants to play Rambo will either be out of ammo sooner than I, or more likely dead, and someone else possessing his ammo. Long story short, it will be a long time before there is no ammo. How long it is for you depends on how much you have, and how you use it.
Yes. Like a friend of mine who was a South Vietnamese guy who was conscripted to fight for the viet cong.

I asked him how he survived. He said he ducked and hid a lot and usually ran away.

Old 05-14-2017, 03:53 PM

10,766 posts, read 5,683,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
It will be made. However if it wasent, then who would be dumb enough to sell what they had to someone who might just turn around and kill you with it..

Anyhow. People used to buy a die set and the cartridge brass and make their own ammo. My grandfather had a set for his rifle and 44. I still have them along with a die to make the bullet jackets, molds for pouring the lead and dies for making the primers. It isnt really much and most of the Items I have were made around 1850 when there wasent much in the way of accurate machine technology.
You have tools made in 1850 for making bullet jackets and primers?

Old 05-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The flints that you buy for your guns are imported from Great Britain. Where will you obtain flint in this country? Do you know how to flintknap?

Please be specific.
There are American flints.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You have tools made in 1850 for making bullet jackets and primers?
Sometime around then I couldnt tell you exactly when. They were my great grandfathers. He worked for Henry then Newhaven as a blacksmith. I even have balls of wrought iron that they pounded the dies out of.
With hammers. I know you dont like hammers and think they are inferior and a CNC machining center and 200 ton punch press is required but well, that is the way they made things back in the day.

Last edited by Joewy; 05-14-2017 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Sometime around then I couldnt tell you exactly when. They were my great grandfathers. He worked for Henry then Newhaven as a blacksmith. I even have balls of wrought iron that they pounded the dies out of.
With hammers. I know you dont like hammers and think they are inferior and a CNC machining center and 200 ton punch press is required but well, that is the way they made things back in the day.
Jacketed bullets were first made in 1882 - not any time close to 1850, and they weren't loaded in Henry rifles.

Got any more tall tales to tell?

Old 05-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Jacketed bullets were first made in 1882 - not any time close to 1850, and they weren't loaded in Henry rifles.

Got any more tall tales to tell?
Who said they made jacketed bullets then. Not me. Jacked bullets werent MASS PRODUCED until 1882. dosent mean they werent made. But I dont know anything about that.
Im saying you can hammer a jacketed bullet into a mold and expand it to fit a 357case.
Like I said. I have dies for 44's. Rim fires to be exact. I also have casting dies for volcanic bullets which is what preceded them. I even have some volcanic rifles. Want to buy one? Im sure you couldnt afford one.
Naw I wont sell. I already promised everything to a museum.

This is why I stopped going to gun shows years ago. Because people in this hobby are just like you.
Because they havent either tried it or read about it on google, it dosent exist or it cant be done.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Who said they made jacketed bullets then. Not me. Jacked bullets werent MASS PRODUCED until 1882. dosent mean they werent made. But I dont know anything about that.
Im saying you can hammer a jacketed bullet into a mold and expand it to fit a 357case.
Like I said. I have dies for 44's. Rim fires to be exact. I also have casting dies for volcanic bullets which is what preceded them. I even have some volcanic rifles. Want to buy one? Im sure you couldnt afford one.
Naw I wont sell. I already promised everything to a museum.

This is why I stopped going to gun shows years ago. Because people in this hobby are just like you.
Because they havent either tried it or read about it on google, it dosent exist or it cant be done.
Just responding to what you said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy
It will be made. However if it wasent, then who would be dumb enough to sell what they had to someone who might just turn around and kill you with it..

Anyhow. People used to buy a die set and the cartridge brass and make their own ammo. My grandfather had a set for his rifle and 44. I still have them along with a die to make the bullet jackets, molds for pouring the lead and dies for making the primers. It isnt really much and most of the Items I have were made around 1850 when there wasent much in the way of accurate machine technology.
Keep changing your story if you want to, doesn't really matter to me. But don't be surprised when people call you on it.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Just responding to what you said here:

Keep changing your story if you want to, doesn't really matter to me. But don't be surprised when people call you on it.

Sorry, ment cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness