Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:49 PM

423 posts, read 289,162 times

Advertisements

How much salt needs to be stored for each 100lbs of beans ?

At 2 teaspoons per 6 cups beans (2.5 lbs) thats 2 oz. salt for 10 lbs beans.

For 100 lbs of beans that would be 20 oz. or one and a quarter pounds of salt.

Ratio is 1.25:100

1000 lbs of beans would require 12.5 lbs salt

So 1 ton of beans would requite 25 lbs of salt- just kill me now

Does white rice require the same amount of salt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:10 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
Are you trying to explode a root cellar?

...and who has access to such pots, a vinery perhaps?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:30 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Are you trying to explode a root cellar?
...and who has access to such pots, a vinery perhaps?
y'all must not be from around here LoL!

Old 04-10-2018, 11:54 AM

So a 50lb sack of salt would take care of 2 tons of beans. How convenient.

My beans (and rice) are put up in 2.5lb seal a meal packages within metal containers to keep out rodents. I have enough salt on hand to cook 400 lbs.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
So a 50lb sack of salt would take care of 2 tons of beans. How convenient.

My beans (and rice) are put up in 2.5lb seal a meal packages within metal containers to keep out rodents. I have enough salt on hand to cook 400 lbs.
I do, however, hope that you intend to cook something else besides beans

You asked about rice, I don't know the answer off hand,
but I suspect a good recipe book might be useful.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:02 PM

I tried to cook a book but it caught on fire. Also need to store freeze dried onions, chili powder, cumin, freeze dried garlic, cayenne, canned tomatos as well as chipotle peppers in adabo sauce. Some sort of keepable oil must be stored as well. I just like the feeling of security that if anything happens and in 3 days all the grocery stores will be empty, no problem. I'm a 'vegetation' anyway and beans and rice is a complete protein.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I'm a 'vegetation' anyway and beans and rice is a complete protein.
Which brings up a couple side issues:
What is the best ratio of beans to rice (nutritionally)?
And what do you think is the best kind of rice to store?

P.S.: at least one cook has told me that for rice, you need
a pound of salt for every 50 pounds of rice.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 AM

Here is this rice/salt proportion I found for 100 servings of rice (10 lbs). Rice Cooking Instructions | Riceland Foods

That would be 2 Tablespoons per 50 lbs of rice, and 15lbs of salt per ton of rice.

Last edited by BlackberryMerlot; 04-11-2018 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-11-2018, 08:55 AM

About rice:bean ratio I found this on Quora

What ratio of beans and rice equals complete protein?

Robert Carter, BS Nutrition and Food Science & Dietetics, University of Florida (2016)
Answered Apr 19, 2017

To answer your question, there is no reason that ratio of proteins from different sources should affect absorption of protein from another source. So beans should not interfere with quinoa protein absorption, and vice versa. Your question brings up an interesting one though, whether or not we need to eat beans and legumes at the same time in order to consume a “complete protein.”

Based on the evidence the complete/incomplete protein thing is a myth. It is a myth in the sense that you don’t have to consume legumes and grains at the same time, to get a complete complement of the essential amino acids in the appropriate ratios. When we eat foods with proteins, we they are broken down by peptidase enzymes from our pancreas and are absorbed as individual amino acids, or short peptides[5]. We then store those amino acids as alpha-keto acids (through a process called deamination), until we need to reaminate them to use those amino acids to build our own proteins.

Because we have the ability to store amino acids, we can consume beans and grains separately with no problems. Based on our curent understanding of biochemistry, we can also freely eat them together with no problems.

and this question

If you eat 5 cups of cooked kidney beans (50g incomplete protein) with just 1 cup of cooked rice (5g incomplete protein) will you still end up eating 65g complete protein?

Beth Goldowitz, home cook with 50 years experience
Answered Feb 25

Combining proteins is old hat. We now know that all you need to do is eat yiur rice and beans in separate meals over he course of several days. Your body will take the essential amino acids found in each food, along wth those found in nuts, seeds and dark green vegetables, and manufacture all the various proteins it needs. If you’re hungry enough to eat 5 cups of beans at one sitting, more power to you, but you can save the rice and eat it tomorrow.

Another interesting thing to google is 'limiting amino acids'.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 AM

Oh it has to be enriched white rice for storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness