Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Valley (w/ year round river/stream) or High in Mountains
Valley 14 33.33%
Mountains 28 66.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times

Advertisements

I would normally say mountains, but something that should also have been added in, is rolling hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 04:10 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I would normally say mountains, but something that should also have been added in, is rolling hills.
Rolling hills are best (tillable, grazable, diggable),
especially if they are somewhere away from populated areas.

One of the first retreats I designed was planned for a hillside.

Only required about 4 or 5 feet of soil over whatever was underneath.

Kinda wish I had gone through with it, but I went over budget and had to scrap it.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:24 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
Almost a yr old but this thread (& a few others) is a good one w/ good info. I still contemplate a move from AZ, & no way do I like it here, but wondering what the zeitgeist at this current time is re this? Ok, hope we all can brainstorm ideas to add to a v good thread indeed & one a few buddies here, & I, have recently begun to rethink.

W/ Trump in control many have let their guard down re things as this but it is still a formidable obstacle & no real defense or workings seem to have been offered, making plausible tactics to ward off this. Preppers be prepping yet this is a still unsurmountable to many of us & me included. Just wondering, folks, the updated 2019 state of things around here...

Old 02-18-2019, 03:49 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Initially after an event, the mountains, no contest. There's water there, where do you think the streams that make rivers in the lowlands comes from?

I've lived in the mountains all my life, so I know there are hidden valleys and areas away from population centers that have good water, shelter, food resources, lots of wood for fuel, and not easily accessible especially if people don't know where it is. You can wander forever in the mountains, hidden if you have the skills.

I've got nothing against the valleys. Life is easier there, more room for crops, but also exposed. If an event happens, going to the mountains until things calm down, then go back to the valley to raise food.

Knowing your area and how to use it and live in it under all conditions will give you a better chance than evacuating to an area you don't know. That makes you vulnerable.

President Trump has given us a respite, but the dangers are still out there. Never drop your guard.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Initially after an event, the mountains, no contest. There's water there, where do you think the streams that make rivers in the lowlands comes from?

I've lived in the mountains all my life, so I know there are hidden valleys and areas away from population centers that have good water, shelter, food resources, lots of wood for fuel, and not easily accessible especially if people don't know where it is. You can wander forever in the mountains, hidden if you have the skills.

I've got nothing against the valleys. Life is easier there, more room for crops, but also exposed. If an event happens, going to the mountains until things calm down, then go back to the valley to raise food.

Knowing your area and how to use it and live in it under all conditions will give you a better chance than evacuating to an area you don't know. That makes you vulnerable.

President Trump has given us a respite, but the dangers are still out there. Never drop your guard.
Very correct!

Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
hillside rather than a mountain as we don't have mountains in England, valleys would be cold and foggy.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:29 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
You'll need a reliable source of water, sustainable supply of food-- including the ability to protect it &/or hide it and protection from the elements-- regardless of the terrain....Best is a reliable, stationary base with multiple caches & spider holes in strategic locations....Having a single solution to solve evolving problems is not wise. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Best answer to mountains vs valley--- Both.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You'll need a reliable source of water, sustainable supply of food-- including the ability to protect it &/or hide it and protection from the elements-- regardless of the terrain....Best is a reliable, stationary base with multiple caches & spider holes in strategic locations....Having a single solution to solve evolving problems is not wise. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Best answer to mountains vs valley--- Both.
Diff is the mountains act as barriers from hordes of unprepared lazy folks roaming & looking for chow, etc. Valleys & hills are easy to traverse but try going up mountains & more will discourage. Better yet, an island in mid Pacific would be best. Grow pineapples bananas, macadamias, nuts, seeds, etc. Even then end up w/ plant based diet so live longer being a vegan. I'm half saying this joiking, yet is is truer than not. So if given valley or mountain; chose high up so no one can reach you not even wolves or other wild predators w/out you seeing them if charging up your hill, from the valley where they just ate everybody. Just IMHO. Your MMV.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:43 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Watch "Jeremiah Johnson" for some inspiration.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:24 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
I have a 300 foot long driveway at an 18% grade. I have not had a trick or treater in over ten years - they are too lazy! Of course, if one is starving, they would go higher.

I think, as others have pointed out, that it all depends on what caused the 'event'. If it is a nuclear attack and we have taken too many rads; then maybe it's time to just end it all instead of struggling. All of the countries are not developing hypersonic ballistic missiles and we would have shorter times to react (if we had any time).

If it is rioting or economic breakdown, we would not have to worry about radiation; but we would have to worry about each other. Step climbs would hamper many of the lazy; but not the survivalist. A well camouflaged entrance to a cave or underground shelter could protect one from those looking for an easy meal. That said; it would not be an enjoyable existence. If one wanted to cook or heat their shelter; it would vent smoke or smell that could blow your cover. Even the difference in air temperature during the colder months could give those looking a clue.

Forts, close to water would also be hard to protect. They would have to have communities large enough to always maintain security on alert. Of course those trying to get in would eventually find a way in or starve out those inside. Survival is not a perfect system and time would change the requirements. As years went by the fuel would disappear and machinery would shut down. So those looking could not travel as far or those running could not run as far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness