Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:41 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times

Advertisements

Too often we focus on hunting for survival food, and overlook snares. Hunting big game is great, however it expends a lot of energy and there are a lot fewer big game animals walking around then there are rabbits, squirrels, etc.

Pros of snaring:
- A snare can be as simple as some wire carried in your pack or on you. Or even simpler if you craft one out of natural materials in the field
- Set up multiple snares at once
- Use less energy then hunting big game
- More likely to get a few rabbits easily on the go, then getting a big animal
- Makes you more aware of small animal habits
- Fun

My favorite is the basic noose snare made out of wire. It weighs almost nothing to carry some wire with you. The wire can be used for other helpful things besides snaring as well. You can set a few snares and come back an hour or so later and hopefully get lucky.

It's a skill that everyone interested in long term survival should at least dabble in. Remember to always eat what you snare. Squirrels and rabbits taste surprisingly delicious, especially when you haven't eaten in a couple days.

There's a plethora of videos and articles on the internet of how to set up simple noose snares as well as more complex snares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 01:54 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Snares are always a part of my kit in the field.
Perfect way to get a meal in the wild. It takes some knowledge of the target animal to know where to set your snare, but they are very efficient at catching game. Set several and they're working while you do other stuff.

Learning to build fish weirs and fish traps from natural materials, and how to build natural traps like deadfalls is also good knowledge to have if you need it.

Good thread starter 6.7

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 02-08-2019 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Perfect way to get a meal in the wild.
It takes some knowledge of the target animal to know where to set your snare, but they are very efficient at catching game. Set several and they're working while you do other stuff.

Learning to build fish weirs and fish traps from natural materials, and how to build natural traps like deadfalls is also good knowledge to have if you need it.

Good thread starter 6.7
That's my favorite part of snares is that they are so effective at getting easy meals, while being extremely cheap and light and easy to carry in your kit.

I recently showed my 8 year old how to make and set up a wire snare, less than an hour later, he had caught two rabbits within 100 yards of the house.

Here's a video on how to make an easy snare https://youtu.be/ZP176aCpLns

I agree that knowing how to build natural traps is great knowledge to have, although I don't have much experience in that department. Setting up sticks and brush to create walls and funnels can also help your snare be successful.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM

Excellent experience for your son and a great way to put him on the road to self sufficiency.

Trapping is fantastic for learning about animals close up by learning their habits, where they go for shelter, where they feed, how they travel, observation is a great teacher.

Weirs and fish traps are in many ways similar to funneling a rabbit into a snare. Fish can't swim backwards, they have to be able to turn around, so you use water flow and barriers of stone and sticks to funnel them into the holding area. Not difficult on a small scale, and there are resources online.

Actually you may like to look at bird snares too. Ingenious ways to catch a meal.

Trapping is a fantastic way to learn problem solving and adapting what you want to do to materials available.

Most of all, have fun and some great meals for your efforts.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,325 times
Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Wait: I can't fornicate? Idols may be more fun.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
So you don't carry a snare or wire in your kit? That's a shame because it's a great addition to any kit, and with just a little bit of practice, it can mean the difference between survival and death, a meal or going hungry.

Fornication is also the ultimate survival practice for humanity as it creates all the people.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Doesn't say anything about crushing, so I guess you'll need to limit yourself to deadfalls huh? just an FYI, snares can be used as a foothold trap too, especially for larger game.
I suppose no idols means you couldn't use decoys which would make duck hunting a lot tougher too.

Don't want to fornicate with my food, so that isn't an issue.

Survival in a real survival situation may include a lot of praying, but humans are omnivorous and can eat just about anything. The only real restrictions aside from poisonous items, are the limits we place on ourselves for whatever reason. I despise broccoli and avoid it religiously, but if I'm starving, it's back on the menu.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:30 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Wait: I can't fornicate? Idols may be more fun.

No, you have to marry them first. Idols are optional.

For anyone who cant strangle their prey (not sure why that would matter, but anyway) they can make a deadfall trap (?) where a big rock falls on the bunny or squirrel. If you cant strangle or squish your prey, I guess you don't need to eat or are vegetarian.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Perfect way to get a meal in the wild. It takes some knowledge of the target animal to know where to set your snare, but they are very efficient at catching game. Set several and they're working while you do other stuff.

Good thread starter 6.7
There's a move back to fish traps for salmon in the Columbia, because catch and release of wild salmon and harvest of hatchery salmon can be done without injuring the wild fish. I just saw an article on it last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness