Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want a SHTF event
Yes 2 2.50%
No 54 67.50%
Maybe an event, but not a SHTF event 3 3.75%
Maybe kinda sorta wake up event 6 7.50%
Death to the world 7 8.75%
Way too many people 5 6.25%
Laughing in an evil tone 2 2.50%
Putin is delivering 0 0%
New Virus in Massachusetts will do it 1 1.25%
Bring it bit*h 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 11:15 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

Isn't this the biggest anti prep attack/mindset we are accused of? Me... I just want to go on living out my dream. Life is pretty darn good! Now don't get me wrong, I do wish we (society) was less dependent on technology and government(s), but I don't want the world to suffer over it.

I live in Florida and Hurricane Ian 'seems' to have brought out the best in people. Yeah-yeah I know, there's a few bottom feeders, but for the most part I'm impressed with people in general (so far). I also know certain people have a very limited threshold for inconveniences, and I'm not saying Ian was an "inconvenience".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 11:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
I answered the question, as asked, but the fact is that we are living in a slow moving SHTF, already.

And Putin is likely to deliver another blow, probably in the next several months.
(I hope not, but just being realistic. )

(The new virus, from what I can tell, is more "click bait" material, than real threat.)

Old 10-20-2022, 12:25 PM

Stimulate conversation is the ultimate aim. Get people engaged. Polls (this one) are anonymous.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:10 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
If nuclear SHTF happen there won't be many places to hide.
Nuclear preparedness works better if you are not in the blast radius of a nuclear attack. Otherwise, there’s no going into your house and closing your doors because the house will be gone.
If you are lucky not to be within the blast radius of one of those, it may not ruin your day, but soon enough, it will ruin your whole life.

See here:
https://thebulletin.org/2022/10/nowh...everyone-else/

So, you better don't wish any SHTF event.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:21 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Being prepared is not the same as hoping it will happen.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Being prepared is not the same as hoping it will happen.
You are correct. However the unprepared accuse the prepared of wanting it to happen... you know, projection.

Old 10-20-2022, 03:36 PM

454 posts, read 305,449 times
It's exactly projection.
While some folks prep for emergencies of all kinds just to keep their families safe, others without that foresight see it as folly and because they cannot fathom someone just wanting to be prepared for an emergency, they believe we would want some misfortune to kill off a lot of people just to say "I told you so"

They see it that way because that's the way they think.

They always want people to fail just so they can feel superior in their own beliefs no matter how unintelligent those beliefs are.

I volunteer at a fire department, not because I want fires to happen, but because they do, and when there's an emergency, those folks need help, not someone with a superiority complex telling them, "I told you this would happen if you didn't do xxxx".

it's sad to see there are so many shallow petty people in this world that would rejoice at the misfortune of others.

Old 10-20-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post
It's exactly projection.
While some folks prep for emergencies of all kinds just to keep their families safe, others without that foresight see it as folly and because they cannot fathom someone just wanting to be prepared for an emergency, they believe we would want some misfortune to kill off a lot of people just to say "I told you so"

They see it that way because that's the way they think.

They always want people to fail just so they can feel superior in their own beliefs no matter how unintelligent those beliefs are.

I volunteer at a fire department, not because I want fires to happen, but because they do, and when there's an emergency, those folks need help, not someone with a superiority complex telling them, "I told you this would happen if you didn't do xxxx".

it's sad to see there are so many shallow petty people in this world that would rejoice at the misfortune of others.
Well said

Old 10-20-2022, 05:09 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBear View Post

And this sick mindset is the driver of most of the politics in this country. People see helping the less fortunate, or those in need, as hurting their own situation... while seeing others torn down a peg or two, they find uplifting and empowering.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:00 PM

Prepared individuals could be excellent 'teachers' if they so choose. We are a body of people with skills, abilities and capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness