Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2023, 06:29 PM

32 posts, read 22,640 times

Advertisements

Do you have preps in place at work?

My workplace is a particular challenge because there are many vulnerable people under the care of staff. Staff would be expected to stay until all of them were back with their families. So while I have a get-home bag in my car, there is no saying when I would be able to use it.

No one would have any idea of what to do in a serious earthquake, especially the admins. We went through planning sessions over 10 years ago and even then the plans were hopelessly impractical and convoluted. It was a clownshow and everyone clearly expects someone to save us. And yes, we would probably be prioritized by the community if they are able.

My work preps by the end of this summer should be:
A travel Berkey, although I do not know where I'm getting water to purify in it or whether I would really trust the water produced.
A handheld ham radio (I'll take the exam this summer).
A get-home bag with supplies
I now have an Ecoflow River which I suppose I could keep at work in case of power outage.

The things that worry me the most:
1. Warmth if we are stuck outside in cold and/or wet weather.
2. Water--we have water packets and little snack kits. At least we did 10 years ago.
3. Sanitation! I think it will get very ugly very, very fast.
4. Mass psychological trauma, me included

Ideas anyone? I can't prep for everyone, but I want my own kit to be more thorough at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 10:15 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofichill View Post
I carry a go bag to work with IFAK, knife, meds, water bottles, a couple of days of ready-to-eat food, cold weather overshirt (just in case; likely for someone else) as I have never worn a coat in Texas, and other things. Since everyone carries a bag, it doesn't attract attention. There are no prohibitions on weapons that I can find, but I don't walk around with anything at work other than knife and flashlight.
For sanitation, I suggest the compressed wipes/toilet paper disks. You can carry 10 in a tube the size of a candy bar and all you need to do is just add a bit of water. I also suggest having a silcock key in your bag to access water if you had to walk. Anker or similar mobile phone charger, compass (learn basics of land nav on YouTube), and a frenel lens and Bic lighters (minis) for fire starting. Small bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol for wounds and cleaning.
Those compressed disks are a good recommendation. I picked up a big bag of them years ago for just a couple of dollars. Each disk expands into a sort of washcloth. Sorry but I can't think of another way to describe it other than somebody reverse engineered tampon technology to make something that looks like a breath mint expand into a washcloth when it gets moist. They are thin, but strong. Not going to tear apart like a paper towel.

I didn't notice a flashlight in your go bag. Now that most cell phones have one they aren't always on people's mind. But one can buy a small flashlight that has a built in plasma torch, a still small but slightly larger one that does that plus can charge your cell phone, a larger one yet that will even jump start your car. (I haven't seen a jump starting flashlight yet that has a built in plasma torch, but they will charge your cell phone, or plasma torch flashlight).

Old 07-05-2023, 10:45 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
If the time ever comes (and, hopefully, it will not), you need to decide for yourself when it is time to leave work.

I keep dry socks, water, a winter coat, etc. in the trunk of my car all of the time. They don't take up much room.

For a carry bag, look at a fold up poncho and some emergency "space" blankets if you are concerned about the weather.

Do you have an office that you can keep some things stored in?

Old 07-06-2023, 03:51 PM

1,063 posts, read 910,905 times
pack of playing cards.
wife was stuck at her office due to weather (4PM to 6AM)
and she was involved in a marathon poker session.
it made the time go fast since there was no power
and all the phones/laptops died within hours.
the emergency lights (battery powered)
stayed on and they were in the hall but
that was ok since the center of her
building stayed within tolerable
temperature limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness