Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times

Advertisements

We have land in the country with a well but no home when we bought it. We built a large pole barn with an apartment on the top level. It was our first building project ever and we made some mistakes in judgment. The entire place is electric because there are no natural gas lines coming out our way. If I had it to do over again, I would have built a wood fireplace, but, too late now. Anyway, the living/dining area is very small (that was our first mistake) so there is no convenient place to put a woodstove but obviously, priorities dictate that we do something.

We also just put in solar panels, but this is a rainy climate so we don't know how much we can rely upon them for generating electricity.

What is a good WOOD or non fuel stove that could fit into a smallish space? We have LOTS of trees on our 20 acres so I don't think finding wood would be a problem. Are there other things to burn for heat?

Last winter, we got caught in a bad snow storm and it took the electric company a WEEK to restore electricity. After three days with a faulty (and useless) gas generator, no heat, we were forced to admit defeat and had to ride down to the city to a hotel where there was electricity. It was a rude awakening for us to just how helpless we were. We won't be caught like that again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Check out the pellet stove, I use a free standing one in my home office (12x12ft); you might also be able to get a tax credit. One brand among several:

Harman Stoves: Your Online Fireplace, Stove and Insert Resource.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Check out the pellet stove, I use a free standing one in my home office (12x12ft); you might also be able to get a tax credit. One brand among several:

Harman Stoves: Your Online Fireplace, Stove and Insert Resource.
Pellet stoves usually need electricity...

I'd suggest a good wood stove, large enough to heat the place. An EPA certified stove will be most efficient.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Pellet stoves usually need electricity...
Mine uses gas.

The stove setup is exactly the same as my gas grill. I buy a two gallen tank of propane the hardware store, lasts for a month with the pellet use.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Any regular wood stove, Quadrafire is good, so are Jotul, Jotul makes some good small stoves.

If you are not in CA or WA, you can order many small cheap woodstoves from Northern Hydraulic.

I personally prefer a good EPA rated non-catalytic stove, but there are arguments for and against every type of wood stove.

A fireplace insert is nice if the house has a fireplace.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Any regular wood stove, Quadrafire is good, so are Jotul, Jotul makes some good small stoves.

If you are not in CA or WA, you can order many small cheap woodstoves from Northern Hydraulic.

I personally prefer a good EPA rated non-catalytic stove, but there are arguments for and against every type of wood stove.

A fireplace insert is nice if the house has a fireplace.
What's a non catalytic stove?

In terms of survivalism, wouldn't a woodstove be preferable to a pellet stove, since one would have to find and buy pellets but can always just cut down trees for wood on one's own?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:16 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
What's a non catalytic stove?

In terms of survivalism, wouldn't a woodstove be preferable to a pellet stove, since one would have to find and buy pellets but can always just cut down trees for wood on one's own?
Catalytic stoves have a catalyst that needs to be replaced now and then, I'd avoid them. They're slightly more efficient but not enough to justify the complexity and added cost and waste, IMHO.

Regular woodstoves would be best for that situation...

Old 01-12-2010, 08:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
JHust make sure you realise what is involved in cutting;drying;splittting and transporting wood long term with no fuel avialble todo any of this.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Are there any woodstoves that can use both pellets and wood, so you have a choice?

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well you have to buy the pellets and with 20 acres of woods why would you want to buy pellets ?

Plus if there's a bad storm and you need heat..the woods are right there while the pellets sit in a store miles away.

Just saying. Plus the pellet stoves require fuel..something you are looking to get away from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness