Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 PM

651 posts, read 1,417,322 times

Advertisements

Sorry to double post, but the edit function has expired.

Too many people, not just cityboi, believe that they can run down to the grocery store when disaster appears to be heading their way. There are several problems with this mentality. First, why assume that you will have enough warning to prepare? The public had no warning for 9/11; hurricanes paths are not always accurate; earthquakes happen without warning; the '93 blizzard was not forecast, and the list goes on. During the '93 blizzard my home was without power for 2 weeks and we were unable to drive anywhere for about a week. I was a teenager at the time and my mother didn't prepare. We were lucky in that she had just done her big 'monthly' shopping trip before the storm hit. Otherwise, we could have been without food.

Also, even with advance warning, why assume that you will be able to get the supplies you need? I worked in a grocery store when I was younger and remember how the aisles would be cleaned out if 2 inches of snow was forecast. I recall during one food rush, the poor bread man came into the store to stock the aisles. He didn't get to stock the aisle as he was surrounded by customers yelling for bread. He resorted to throwing the bread to people and got out of there as soon as his pallet was empty. The last place I would want to be during a situation such as this is at the grocery store. Most stores keep less than 3 days worth of food on hand for normal business operations. Note, I said normal. If the store is rushed by the entire town, that food supply is gone within hours.

Finally, assuming you had advance warning and made it to the grocery store, how do you know that you have enough to ride out the situation? I didn't expect the blizzard of '93 to keep our power knocked out for two full weeks. How many people with this mentality would be able to provide for themselves for three days much less two weeks?

To borrow cityboi's phrase, being unprepared and expecting to waltz into the grocery store just before a disaster, is the 'dumbest' idea I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:20 PM

202 posts, read 821,514 times
Default so what foods are the best

If you did want to store some emergency food, what would you get? Freeze dried meals? I was thinking sugar gives you more calories. The "Into the Wild" guy always took a bag of rice and foraged for wild foods.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 PM

The best foods to get depends on the duration of your preps and your ability to rotate. Buying extra canned and dry goods at the grocery store is a good place to start. However, proper rotation is key with these items. For longer term storage, you can look into freeze dried and dehydrated goods. Your foundation for long term food storage will be items such as wheat, rice, beans and honey. They last for many years; once you have this foundation you can start to add some variety such as dehydrated and freeze dried fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc.

Remember, the 'Into the Wild' guy was found dead and emaciated in a broken down bus.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
What the emergency respeonders have found is that the Miltary prepared meals are best. They also provdie a balance with the least space and spoilage problems.The main thing is to protect them from rats and such.Water is a separate problem altogther.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 PM

61 posts, read 100,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
If you did want to store some emergency food, what would you get? Freeze dried meals? I was thinking sugar gives you more calories. The "Into the Wild" guy always took a bag of rice and foraged for wild foods.

Rawles from survivalblog says MREs are pretty good for emergency food.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 PM

61 posts, read 100,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What the emergency respeonders have found is that the Miltary prepared meals are best. They also provdie a balance with the least space and spoilage problems.The main thing is to protect them from rats and such.Water is a separate problem altogther.

Yup, also keep them in cool tempatures, their life expectancy lasts much longer.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:30 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
So I'm a troll? Because I think the idea of you pack rats storing up for the end of a mayan calender, catastrophic meteroid, nucleur warfare etc. dumb?

I live near the coast. If a hurricane is forecast, I will go to the store, buy some noodles and water and call it a day. No need to fill up a whole closet for the "big one"

But according to you, I'm a troll.
Troll? eh, I guess not. Just bear in mind that not everybody lives in a city, works in an office and counts on the local deli for meals. It's NOT about 2012 for those of us who live a ways out from things and it seems as if ANYONE who has a store of emergency supplies, beyond a couple days worth, is in the doomsday bunch to you. Many of us have been cut off before, for extended periods, and were quite glad we were prepared. Lol, believe me, when you get cut off from the outside for a spell, it's the little things you will miss. Don't take anything for granted, and you won't get taken down. Pretty simple

Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,344,782 times
Iiight.

If there is a blizzard and I cant' get out I will eat everything in my cabinet like cereal, bread, etc. That's just what I have on any reg. day. No need to stack the whole closet with stored up junk.If Irun out of that, I'll walk a couple blocks and be at the grocery store.

I've been through a Hurricane. Had no power for a week and a half. I drove to the store [with the power out] took some food [everybody was] and went home.

I just don't see the need to pack rat to survive a catastrophe. Plus I don't live in an earthquake area.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Iiight.

If there is a blizzard and I cant' get out I will eat everything in my cabinet like cereal, bread, etc. That's just what I have on any reg. day. No need to stack the whole closet with stored up junk.If Irun out of that, I'll walk a couple blocks and be at the grocery store.

I've been through a Hurricane. Had no power for a week and a half. I drove to the store [with the power out] took some food [everybody was] and went home.

I just don't see the need to pack rat to survive a catastrophe. Plus I don't live in an earthquake area.
Somehow your story doesn't ring quite right. What store has food left in 1.5 weeks of no electricity and "everybody else" taking as well ?
Stores have maybe 3 days of stock on the shelves..less when people know there is a storm coming. I lived in S. Florida and have seen the stores empty in a matter of hours BEFORE a storm struck.

Katrina had stores looted within hours of the hurricane passing.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
That's good that you keep enough food in your pantry to last a few days.

Quote:
I agree with HappyTexan's assessment on this one; I have a hard time believing that there was any food left after a week and a half at the grocery store.

Further, you are basically saying that your 'preparedness' plan relies heavily on looting. You are counting on the fact that the grocery store will have enough supplies for you to steal. You are relying on somebody, the store owner, to store supplies for you and to give them to you for free because you don't see the need to provide for yourself. Do you see any potential problems with this plan? Even if you find a store with supplies to loot, you are very likely to get injured or killed in the process.

Quote:
You can throw as many insults as you like, but at the end of the day, you are still unprepared and vulnerable during an emergency. In fact, your use of pack rat does not apply. That term implies people that keep useless junk on hand. Emergency supplies are far from useless. Those supplies are the same supplies you plan to steal during an emergency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness