Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 AM

301 posts, read 823,942 times

Advertisements

"Death & doom" takes on many forms besides global warfare, powerful weather/climate events, economic collapse, worldwide pandemics. A more likely, immediate, closer-to-home, form is delibating illness or injury, loss of job, death of a breadwinner, destructive damage to your home, eviction. These are "doom" events that happen everday & have a higher probability of happening to many of us. These are the "doom" events that will be a bit easier to survive if we are prepared, self-reliant, self-sufficient, and informed. To re-phrase a currently popular song; "Plan like you're dying". We buy life insurance, car insurance, home insurance, etc., etc. - why not invest some time and energy in self survival-insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 AM

61 posts, read 100,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
I don't have a problem with talking about self sufficiency and preparedness. That is why I came to these boards, to find out more info.

However do have a bit of a problem for conspiracy theorists and wish there was a board just for them so they could theorize about how the world was going to end, poilitically and economically to their heart's content.

And the rest of us could talk about how to become more self-sufficent etc on these boards.

I understand your view, but it are these 'end of world' fears that help propel people to prepare.

If there was never a threat of economic collapse or a massive earthquake, EVER, would people prepare? No. When people talk about a TEOTWAWKI situation, they are preparing for the worst. Knowing full well that while preparing for the worst, you will also be prepared for smaller scale situations, earthquakes/tornadoes etc.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I know a handful of tin-foil-hat type people.

My Dw and I have each been moderators on 'Homesteading' boards.

When I retired, we bought land in a forest and have began homesteading with the intent of being near self-sufficient.

I am glad to see CD begin this sub-forum.
Do you mind PM'ing the link to your boards? Always looking for more resources.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I understand your view, but it are these 'end of world' fears that help propel people to prepare.

If there was never a threat of economic collapse or a massive earthquake, EVER, would people prepare? No. When people talk about a TEOTWAWKI situation, they are preparing for the worst. Knowing full well that while preparing for the worst, you will also be prepared for smaller scale situations, earthquakes/tornadoes etc.
That's not true. Again, some people dislike paying high prices when they run out of say, beef, so they buy a bunch of beef when it is priced rock bottom. That was they are not dependence upon their grocer so much to have sales on beef.

It is also economically beneficial to make as few trips to the store as possible since you save on gas and are less likely to impulse buy.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
That's not true. Again, some people dislike paying high prices when they run out of say, beef, so they buy a bunch of beef when it is priced rock bottom. That was they are not dependence upon their grocer so much to have sales on beef.

It is also economically beneficial to make as few trips to the store as possible since you save on gas and are less likely to impulse buy.

True, I might have overstated the fact, but I don't think just buying lots of beef because it was on sale is the same. But I feel everything was driven by some kind of disaster whether man made (great depression etc) or nature (locusts, famine, earth quakes )

Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 PM

298 posts, read 482,244 times
Not true for everyone...some of us like to can because the food tastes better and it is fun. Same thing with growing your own vegetables etc.

Also we have started canning to give some things that we have grown and canned to various family members and friends in lieu of Christmas presents. Not because we couldn't afford it but because giving things that are homemade have much more significance and meaning to the giftee and the gifter.

Tis sad that some folks have to have the threat of imminent disaster to get them to enjoy some of the simpler things in life.

Yes, the simpler things in life are hard work and need some preparation but they also have much more meaning.

Forest, I would like the link as well...we have just been on this kick for the last 4 years or so and any extra bits of useful information are much desired.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Tis sad that some folks have to have the threat of imminent disaster to get them to enjoy some of the simpler things in life.

True, its pretty sad, Glad I'm not one of them.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:03 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
Quote:
Not true for everyone...some of us like to can because the food tastes better and it is fun. Same thing with growing your own vegetables etc.

Also we have started canning to give some things that we have grown and canned to various family members and friends in lieu of Christmas presents. Not because we couldn't afford it but because giving things that are homemade have much more significance and meaning to the giftee and the gifter.

Yes, the simpler things in life are hard work and need some preparation but they also have much more meaning.

Forest, I would like the link as well...we have just been on this kick for the last 4 years or so and any extra bits of useful information are much desired.
Very well said.

I just recently got back into canning and freezing fresh produce. Back in my youth days, I will admit that I hated spending my summers in the fields/garden in the morning. I spent my evenings shelling peas, shucking corn, etc in front of my grandma's black and white. No, she didn't even have cable.

Even after becoming a single parent I didn't return to that way of life. I would pay top dollars for garbage vegetables at the grocer. You know, the hot house, tasteless tomatoes. The half wilted greens. I even owned (and still do) a deep freezer but wouldn't put it to good use.

I am so glad for my hard work this summer. I have enough for the entire winter and they taste great.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 PM

202 posts, read 821,348 times
Default all kinds of scenarios

There are so many real world events that could cause you to wish you were more prepared. How about Israel decides to take out Iran's nuclear bomb facility causing Iran to close down the straits that much of the world's oil flows through. That would immediately result in panic, then fuel shortages and crashing of all sorts of systems. I was in Hawaii when the longshoremen went on strike and there were no barges for a week. The stores were stripped within hours of stuff like toilet paper....yes, for some that is a priority...and other necessities. In Katrina, bottled water , gasoline and ice were what everyone wanted. Forget buying a generator too. People who are already self sufficient will suffer the least.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
... Forget buying a generator too. People who are already self sufficient will suffer the least.
Do you mean like homesteaders who are already off-grid?

Producing their own food?

Their own meds?

Do you mean that they would be less effected?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness