Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM

408 posts, read 871,367 times

Advertisements

So, I know you do not want to be near a major urban population center if things go wonky. What I was wondering, what are the opinions out there as to how far one should live from an interstate highway for their little piece of security. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that a minimum of 10 miles is recommended. Does the group agree with that?

Also, what effect would distance from an urban area have on the distance you want to be from a interstate- i.e. would you be able to live closer to an interstate the further you get from any urban areas?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
I think the farther you are from urban areas, the closer you can be to a major highway; but you should try to avoid a town that can be easily seen from the highway, or that has a very obvious (and inviting) exit ramp regardless of how close or far the town may actually be from the road. [after SHTF, remove any and all road signs that might draw undue attention!]

If your main road just looks like some random dirt road off into nowhere, you're likely much safer than off a huge 4-lane exit with advertising all around it for businesses that are easily identifiable without even exiting.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:35 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
My opinion is about one mile as that's far enough away where you don't hear the noise but close enough for fast and easy transit. Sadly, mine is more in the 5-6 mile range from the freeway so there is some traffic on surface streets to get to the highway but still close enough to do the daily needs every person needs in the real world.

Then again, I'm not even remotely concerned with "welfare zombies" or what ever other nonsense is the boogyman de jour among the crazies.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I live 3 1/2 miles as the crow flies from a major cross county interstate. The driving distance is 6 miles. I can hear the traffic on the interstate at night even as far away as I am. I live in the middle of the country with no towns around me and I feel very safe here.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:42 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
My Site 1 is not far from the highway, but also in a small town of about 700 so I discount that one for this.
Site 2 is 1 1/2 miles off of a secondary road, 6 miles from a small town of around 900 residents, 35 miles from the nearest town of about 5000, and 70 miles from the nearest town of around 35,000.

Site 3 is 8 miles on a gravel road, then another mile of rutted mud goat trail off of pavement.

Site 2 is good for accessability, Site 3 is most secure.

Site 1 is just where I live within commuting distance of work.

I am working on Site 4 which will be only a few hundred yards from a paved road, 3 miles from the nearest town, (pop 500), 40 miles from the nearest town of 1200 and 70 miles of 2 lane highway from a larger town.

I am a long way from major population centers anyway, and for most of the year, even with a paved road, access can be tricky as blizzards or floods can close the roads at just about any time, not to mention range fires or forest fires.

Security can take many forms, I like living a long ways from large concentrations of people, and where I am, even in a SHTF situation, self sufficency is pretty much a way of life so we wouldn't have hordes of zombies coming around anyways.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
So, I know you do not want to be near a major urban population center if things go wonky. What I was wondering, what are the opinions out there as to how far one should live from an interstate highway for their little piece of security. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that a minimum of 10 miles is recommended. Does the group agree with that?

Also, what effect would distance from an urban area have on the distance you want to be from a interstate- i.e. would you be able to live closer to an interstate the further you get from any urban areas?

Please let me know your thoughts.
I live about 6 miles from an interstate. However, the exit is over an hour from a major city, plus there is plenty of water and food in that 6 miles. So I believe I am OK.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Security can take many forms, I like living a long ways from large concentrations of people, and where I am, even in a SHTF situation, self sufficency is pretty much a way of life so we wouldn't have hordes of zombies coming around anyways.
Four sites and a HUGE tinfoil hat to cover them all - you are right, security can take many forms!

(sorry, couldn't resist).

OD

Old 11-15-2012, 08:39 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
I live about 25 miles from the nearest interstate. there is a county road that my home is on, and you cannot see my home from that road. my driveway is unpaved and is made of dirt and grass.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Four sites and a HUGE tinfoil hat to cover them all - you are right, security can take many forms!

(sorry, couldn't resist).

OD
Your sense of humor needs work.

I live at my primary site, building a home for retirement at my second site, my third site is on land my family has owned for over 50 years and have built on to use, my forth site is primarily my business site.

All have purpose beyond simple bug out locations, all are productive and provide materials or qualities the others don't have and all contribute to being more self sufficent.

Just because they can serve multiple purposes has no bearing on any conspiracy theorys you may have.

I adapt and overcome which means utlizing the resources I have to maximize my production and safety from any situation.

Have a nice day and worry about your own preps.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Your sense of humor needs work.

I live at my primary site, building a home for retirement at my second site, my third site is on land my family has owned for over 50 years and have built on to use, my forth site is primarily my business site.

All have purpose beyond simple bug out locations, all are productive and provide materials or qualities the others don't have and all contribute to being more self sufficent.

Just because they can serve multiple purposes has no bearing on any conspiracy theorys you may have.

I adapt and overcome which means utlizing the resources I have to maximize my production and safety from any situation.

Have a nice day and worry about your own preps.
OK.... Everyone on this forum raise your hand if you have 3 or more properties to serve as bug-out locations

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness