Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:07 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,757,364 times

Advertisements

Which one-big box centers or regional malls? Lowe's and Target or Macy's and Target? (we have no good mall within 2 hours)

So, as most everyone knows that Baby Boomers are getting older and prefering the cheaper and big-box discount stores.

Studies show after 2020 the rate of malls being built will decrease that they almost aren't built anymore.

Malls are built to allow customers to get out of heavy traffic, to allow teenagers to hang out there eating at the food courts, playing at the arcade for boys, and shopping for girls of any age. Regional malls are a social event these days, rather than being for family shopping. Sure, maybe for each season families most go there for shopping to get clothes for the season. I also believe malls are becoming tourist attractions now.

In my nearby city, we had a mall in the 80s and it only had Gottschalks. There was an Embassy Suites outside that also generated revenue for the mall. The developers later tried getting JcPenney's added, but the City Council turned it down.

Currently, this developer is trying to build next to where the old mall used to be. He's having a hard time getting anyone to be in his center. He has too interested tenets. Macy's and Target. Macy's only goes in malls, so I'm interested to see which will triumph-the big box power center or the regional mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Um, after reading my first post I think I phrased it poorly.

Which does everyone think is better. Big box centers or regional open-air malls?

My area is going to get a Target and Lowe's big box center or regional open-air mall with Macy's and Target. I hear the Macy's and Target mall is following the "new urbanism" style. It should have a food court and arcade for teen guys, shopping for girls of all age, and cheaper prices than our downtown clothes stores. Also malls allow people to stop at the mall to rest from traffic and offer tourist an enjoyable spot.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:39 AM

324 posts, read 883,146 times
I prefer open air malls, as long as they are not strip malls. Those are so ugly! In my area they have developed these out door malls that have pretty parks or fountains in the middle. It is nice to do some shopping, eat lunch outside at one of the restaurants, and then spend some time in the park on a nice day.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
That is how shopping centers are in places like Spain or Brazil . It is so pleasant to shop there.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-24-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I prefer open air malls, as long as they are not strip malls. Those are so ugly! In my area they have developed these out door malls that have pretty parks or fountains in the middle. It is nice to do some shopping, eat lunch outside at one of the restaurants, and then spend some time in the park on a nice day.
Yes, I know exactly how you feel. La Cumbre Plaza and Paseo Nuevo in Santa Barbara and Simi Valley Town Center are malls like the ones you described, and are ones I been to that are open-air.

Ernie Dalidio (the developer) wanted to build a 530,000 sq. ft. big-box center (power center) with Target and Lowe's. But home improvement sales have been down in the city, and so Lowe's threatened to leave the project. I think Lowe's has left now, and so Mr. Dalidio is changing his project to a regional open-air mall to accomodate Macy's for replacing Lowe's. The center is also going to be under 500,000sq. ft., which will reduce traffic and enviromental harm.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:31 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,569,924 times
If I must shop, I prefer open air (lifestyle centers I think they call them) instead of the mall.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
If I must shop, I prefer open air (lifestyle centers I think they call them) instead of the mall.
Those only have one department store and then have a theater, and/or a pharmacy and grocery store. And they don't have the arcades and food courts for teens to hang out at, and they dont have the same stores malls have.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:08 PM

Dalidio Ranch
DALIDIO FAMILY TRUST -::HOME::-
Home | Vote NO on Measure J

Here are the websites about the controversial project in San Luis Obispo, California.

Personally, I just think that the retail discount big-box stores aren't doing good right now in the market. And we already have two other smaller big-box centers being built next to our Costco. Our nearest mall is about 30 minutes away in a city called Santa Maria, and the mall is called Santa Maria Town Center. That mall has gang activity going on all the time, and the mall is old, and isn't attractive anymore besides the stores it has.

I believe since our whole county does not have regional mall yet, that this project should be a regional mall around 450,000sq. ft. with Macy's and Target. I believe this developer should annex the land into the city from the county, and then pay for half of the 101 free interchange. Otherwise, he should sell his land to some one else.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 PM

does no one else care to comment? i really need responses...

Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM

233 posts, read 766,467 times
It all depends on the day or the weather... sometimes I like indoor malls for convenience, the fun of people-watching, hanging out, the smells of the food court, the atmosphere and of course the stores. Lifestyle centers (open-air shopping centers) are also good as you get to go shopping and enjoy the outdoors, but the downside is the occasional bad weather like when it's raining (heavily) and you have all that stuff you just bought and you need to get to your car, but on the other hand you get to drive from one part of the mall to another if you don't feel like doing a lot of walking. And finally I like going to the big box stores (Wal-Mart, Target) mainly for convenience and low prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products