Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:55 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times

Advertisements

Corporate chains do... Costco, Macy's etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Corp stores do not. One upset customer call that a stores doors were closed 15 minutes before closing, gets the MOD written up and possibly terminated with cause. The customer gets an apology letter, an apology call from the district/regional manager and usually a gift card.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 PM

17 posts, read 44,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Since you've never been a manager of a big box retailer, the closing time listed on the door is the time the doors are closed and not the time everyone goes home. No manager in his/her right mind would turn down a sale because a customer (or a few) is still in the store. Most employees are in the store 30-60 minutes after closing to, finish ringing out the last few customers, tidy up, re-stock shelves, count out registers, etc. As employees finish their closing duties then they most are allowed to leave. Employees on the closing schedule are usually scheduled to be there upwards of an hour after the closing time on the door and are PAID to do so (thus leaving earlier than scheduled is a loss to the employee as they will not be paid for time they are not there). Customers are not there as a favor for you. Bad Customer Service=Lower Sales=Lower dollars available for payroll=less jobs: Simple economics. Employees are a courtesy to the customer and not the other way around.

If you can't understand any of this, then you have no place in being a retail employee.
Well said Pruzhany!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 PM

17 posts, read 44,306 times
Quote:
Macy's definitely doesn't close the doors 15 minutes before the closing time, at least not in the NYC stores that I've been to ......especially not their flagship store in NYC. In a tourist haven like New York, Macy's wouldn't dare close a store 15 minutes before the closing time posted on their website and at their doors.

I am one of those people who go to stores after work, I always make sure to check the closing time before I go and give enough time to do my shopping. I've been at store registers a couple of times as the store is closing and I don't think it's a big deal.

If someone who works retail doesn't want to service customers after the doors are closed to customers, they might want to get a job where they can clock watch and run for the door the minute it ticks closing time.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
And we find it equally annoying when some retail establishments start a countdown over the PA system 15 minutes BEFORE closing, then 10 minutes, then 5 minutes and then minute by minute. If you want us out by closing then come by and assist us in finding the items on our list(s). I think in the past it was called "Customer Service". And maybe in the present too?

Get over yourself---its time to go home! The employees have families to care for, perhaps pick up kids, catch the bus, etc. For anyone working retail, probably less than $10/hour and no benefits, the customer isn't worth hosting an all-night party for

Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:

No, they don't.

They might lower the gate somewhat to give those late shoppers coming in a heads up, but they don't turn people away and they dont' lock the doors.

If the store says it's open until 9 pm, then customers may continue to enter the store until 9 pm.

While there some employees that leave at 9pm, there are more who are working a closing shift (usually 1-2 hrs past the actual close time, depending on how much there is to do)

If you don't like late shoppers, change your shift so it doesn't annoy you and you don't annoy your customers ( the ones paying your paycheck)

Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
The last time I worked retail, I was working in a liquor store. TX has strict laws about the sale of liquor and our register tapes couldn't show any sales after 9pm. We used to quit letting people in about 8:57 because we couldn't ring them up after 9. Some people would pitch a total fit. At one point our district manager told us that we needed to go ahead and ring up customers who were in the store even if it was after 9, and I told him I'd be happy to, but I needed to get it in writing that it was company policy to sell after hours if the customer was still in the store, and also that the company would pay any fines (usually about 1K, and we were only making $6/hour) and legal costs associated with selling after hours. He said they couldn't put anything like that in writing and we could just continue doing things the way we had been doing them. The customers learned that they would have to be there before closing if they wanted to buy anything.

Of course, most stores aren't selling things that have laws about what time they can be sold.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:11 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
And we find it equally annoying when some retail establishments start a countdown over the PA system 15 minutes BEFORE closing, then 10 minutes, then 5 minutes and then minute by minute. If you want us out by closing then come by and assist us in finding the items on our list(s). I think in the past it was called "Customer Service". And maybe in the present too?
You can't be serious, "Customer Service" means helping you with an issue or an item that is on the top shelf or directing you to where the item is located in the store NOT SHOPPING FOR YOU.

Get to the store earlier, learn time management, quit browsing, get what you need, go checkout and go home. The men and women who work in these stores actually have lives as well and their real life starts when the store closes and I'm sure it does not involve you.

PS ~~ No one can "assist" you if you do not ask where the item is located.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:51 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
:: shrug ::

I have seen it happen at the two places I mentioned.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
PS ~~ No one can "assist" you if you do not ask where the item is located.
I'm guessing you don't do online surveys. Per the OPs two stores listed as Macy's & Staples the first few questions are related to customer/associate interaction. Both ask if the associate initiated the request for assistance and did the associate walk you to the product. Thus your premise in relation to CS is reversed.

Quote:
...when interactions with sales associates are viewed by customers as positive, the
number of items a customer buys goes up by 50%. "The odds of repeat visits also
go up significantly," ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703362904576219073886407268.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products