Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 05:45 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

I have never had prime and never plan to. I opt for the free shipping on items over whatever the amount is...$35? Something like that. Even the free ground shipping has always arrived super quickly.

If I can't get what I want on Amazon with free shipping - without Prime - I look on Ebay for a seller selling it for the same price with free shipping. There's enough competition out there now, that I can find what I want. I'm willing to wait to get my stuff. But, as I say, even without Prime, my shipments have still come more quickly than their estimated time.

I looked into the movies on Amazon, but didn't like how some are free and some are not. On Netflix, whatever they have, I can stream included in my subscription.

And when a TV show's new season arrives but is only available on DVD on Netflix, I add the DVD subscription for a month, and marathon the "new" season. For instance, I just added unlimited DVD rentals, so I could watch the latest season available on DVD of Justified and Nurse Jackie and a couple of others. I'll watch all the new seasons I care about, then drop the DVD membership. They even keep my DVD queue in the meantime. Love my Netflix :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 06:28 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Main reason I got Prime was because their new partnership with the post office sux.

I forget the term for it but you Think your package is coming UPS- then it's delayed or sent back because it actually was handed off to the post office who have little stake in delivering a competitor's packages on time.

If they raise the fee I won't renew Prime.
Actually Prime still does it. USPS in general gets a monthly stipend to finish the delivery. Amazon, using Fedex or UPS, delivers your package to the Post Office for your zip code with the understanding that it will be delivered that day. If the two business day window is missed (not due to weather), then you make a simple contact to Amazon and they refund part of what you paid for the item. That benefit alone makes it well worth the fee.

So if the do raise the yearly fee, then they'll have to add a new benefit to keep their customer base.

For example I did an order last week and it was shipped out of three different warehouses across the country. It arrived via Fedex, UPS and Smartpost (USPS).

Old 02-02-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet*tea View Post
how do you complain? I had something late one time (i'm a prime customer....just joined a couple of months ago) and couldn't figure out how to contact them. I was trying to find a number to call but couldn't find it.

1-888-280-4331

Old 02-02-2014, 11:14 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
BTW you don't need an actual kindle device to read titles...you can use your smartphone.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:05 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
There was an article that says that Amazon was already in the black with Amazon prime, when the program 1st started they were in the red. They needed a certain amount of subscribers in order to get it in the black. Now they are making a profit with prime I see no reason why they should raise the price other than pure greed.

I would definitely cancel prime if they raise the price. I don't watch their streaming stuff and I buy only if there is a free ship deal or lower cost shipping deal for marketplace offers.

There are many other websites that offer free shipping so Amazon better watchout if they dare to raise the price of prime.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:16 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I don't see myself raising it as long as the quality of service remains the same or gets better. However, if they raise the price and it gets worse (cost cutting on top of price increases)... then I might reconsider.

I'm sure Amazon has enough data in this area to know what they are doing.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Prime will not save you from the Smartpost/Surepost stuff. I had a an item be shipped that way and was late. Complained saying it was their fault because they used such a service. Got $5 credit. Woo. Really would have been better if package arrived on time (was a Friday so delay became all weekend because it was shipped to the office).
That "such a service" has been used by other companies for a few years and they can be and are delayed just like any other company because of weather, mechanical problems with machines, accidents, illness, etc.

We have used amazon prime for years and it has been quite a convenience for us. We have always lived rural, outer edge of smaller towns and I would give up something else before I would the prime membership. I am not always physically able to drive the 25+ miles to go into the closest bigger city and get necessities so the ability to order from amazon and have the item delivered to our door is not something I am willing to give up.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Prime will not save you from the Smartpost/Surepost stuff. I had a an item be shipped that way and was late. Complained saying it was their fault because they used such a service. Got $5 credit. Woo. Really would have been better if package arrived on time (was a Friday so delay became all weekend because it was shipped to the office).

That was completely the fault of your Post Office. As I stated in another post, it is supposed to be delivered by USPS that day by contract. I'm guessing Amazon got a load of complaints similar to yours, since I haven't gotten a small package delivered that way in close to three months.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:44 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times
I'll keep it. They have kept the price $79 for at least 5 years. They have been good to me.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:23 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Now they are making a profit with prime I see no reason why they should raise the price other than pure greed.
Didn't realize we had the CFO for Amazon on our forums.

I find it quite remarkable that with the cost of everything going up these days, that you can unequivocally state that their rate increase is due to "pure greed." That's quite remarkable - everything is getting more expensive for everyone except Amazon. That's quite a bubble they're in, eh? Maybe you can tell me how to create my own costs-never-go-up bubble. That would be very, very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products