Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM

398 posts, read 746,684 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there's been numerous topics on this already but long story short- I recently started my e-bay selling business and all my products sold are brand-new (sunglasses).

One buyer bought a pair and upon receiving it, immediately opened a case against me saying it is fake, item not described, blah blah.
I said my item is authentic and if you are unhappy, return with tracking for a full refund.
I get the returned item, and it is NOT the pair I sent him! This one is clearly old, worn-out, and has a layer of dust collecting on it.. not to mention it's not even the SAME DAMN STYLE.

Obviously with e-bay Moderator cut: language removed buyer protection and money back guarantee, they are going to refund him regardless. I tried contacting their customer service line and been transferred 5 times with 15 min wait in between each transfer.

So.. my question is, what can I do? I already reported the buyer to IC3.gov, can I bring this to the small claims court? or General Attorney Office? Thing is, he is in a different state than I am so I'm not sure how it will work.

I'm not so mad about the money loss, it's just the principle. I HATE dishonest people and really want to do something that will give them a slap to the face and nothing would be better than a letter arriving at their door steps.

And as a side note, I will still be continuing to sell on e-bay. Why? Because of the 20 sales, I bump into 1-2 scammers like this. But the leftover 18 sales still give me a nice chunk of profit in pocket to keep wanting to come back.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-19-2014 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Welcome to retail.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
You can file a complaint with your post master general and a police report in the town which you shipped the item to.

Then contact Ebay and Paypal's fraud protection/Security departments and tell them your going after the buyer legally.

Also contact the buyer that your pursuing criminal action and possible civil action as well. Heck you have there address.

If it's under 400 bucks chalk it up to experience and raise your prices to recoup your losses.

At least file the reports even if nothing comes of it. You were a victim of fraud.

Again press Ebay and Paypal on this issue shoving the reports in their faces.

How do you know a buyer is lying? Their lips are moving.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 PM

398 posts, read 746,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You can file a complaint with your post master general and a police report in the town which you shipped the item to.

Then contact Ebay and Paypal's fraud protection/Security departments and tell them your going after the buyer legally.

Also contact the buyer that your pursuing criminal action and possible civil action as well. Heck you have there address.

If it's under 400 bucks chalk it up to experience and raise your prices to recoup your losses.

At least file the reports even if nothing comes of it. You were a victim of fraud.

Again press Ebay and Paypal on this issue shoving the reports in their faces.

How do you know a buyer is lying? Their lips are moving.
File a complaint with the post master general? USPS? Why would they care if they're just the carrier

And how would I pursue criminal and/or civil action?

Old 09-17-2014, 06:07 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
Yes, be sure to report this to ebay. It sounds like a pro-scammer and it's likely they have done this before. eBay will kick them off eventually.
If they opened a case on you, there should be a place in your ebay Case Log or Resolution Center where you can dispute the claim. Let ebay know what happened, and provide pictures.
If nothing else, it will put this thief on their radar.
Good luck!

Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
File a complaint with the post master general? USPS? Why would they care if they're just the carrier
Mail fraud is a federal crime.
https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times
Even if you don't win, you should still report it, so that Ebay will look to see if this person made similar claims with other sellers--because, I wonder how either you or the buyer could prove your/their respective claim, i.e. how does he/she prove that the item received was that old thing, and how do you prove that thing was not what you sent them? If this person did the same many times, then your claim would be more convincing (esp. if this didn't happen to you often).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products