Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times

Advertisements

A few months ago UPS delivered a package for someone else to my house by mistake. It took over a week to contact them to tell them to pick it up and deliver it correctly. Their website and 800 number are geared only toward packages that you have a tracking number for. Very shoddy in my opinion. At least with USPS you can go down to the post office and talk to someone in person if need be.

And Fed Ex uses USPS for some deliveries. I found out the hard way when I ordered a package online. I don't get mail at my house so they couldn't deliver it! Had to wait til it was returned to the warehouse and then get it shipped to my office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 02:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
The United States Postal Service lost my restricted delivery letter that only had to travel to a nearby county in Florida. It should have been delivered in 2 days it was mailed Jan 13. A week after it was mailed on Jan 20 it disappeared from tracking completely. I tried to file a claim and have gotten no answers. The post office that was it's destination has a long list if complaints about it online and their phone number doesnt work . I appear to be out that money. Still waiting for news it says on the website it is " delayed" .

Has anyone else had problems using USPS ?
Have you physically gone to the Post Office and showed them your tracking information and asked them what else can be done instead of relying on information online that specifically states online information updates are or can be delayed?

Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 PM

172 posts, read 239,390 times
Overall, my experiences with them have been very positive.
The only complaint is that there is a certain sort of officious, persnickity, rule-bent turd with obvious Aspergers Syndrome that always seems to find their way working behind the counter at Post Offices. People who, were they to conduct themselves in that fashion in public or at a bar, would get punched out.

Many years ago, when there was that spate of postal workers going on shooting rampages, they tried to find a reason why. The closest thing they could come up with was that the civil service exam requirements to be a postal worker at that time set the intelligence requirements too high for work so totally menial and mind-numbing, which drove some people already on the edge to total madness. There is a reason why any given post office circa 2015 looks TOTALLY different than it did in 1985 in terms of general staffing complexion.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:49 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
The United States Postal Service lost my restricted delivery letter that only had to travel to a nearby county in Florida. It should have been delivered in 2 days it was mailed Jan 13. A week after it was mailed on Jan 20 it disappeared from tracking completely. I tried to file a claim and have gotten no answers. The post office that was it's destination has a long list if complaints about it online and their phone number doesnt work . I appear to be out that money. Still waiting for news it says on the website it is " delayed" .

Has anyone else had problems using USPS ?
Yes, I have had one incoming and a few outgoing things fail to get to the intended recipient, over the last two and a half years.

My landlord wants me to pay my rent and my portion of utilities by mailing a check. I always do it at least a week early, so that if it gets lost, I will have time to respond without being late. After having things get lost this many times, I have simply lost my trust.

So you are definitely not alone.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:
Well glad to see you have all had nice experiences. Here is a link to the customer reviews at this particular USPS main post office in Ocala Fl. Which is where my letter was heading on the last part of it's journey when it disappeared .

https://local.yahoo.com/info-1463500...x=Post+Offices
7 reviews posted in Yahoo since Apr 2008 doesn't seem hardly a rating. I can't think of ONE person who has ever written ANY positive reviews for any post office, so there's really nothing to compare. However I'll take your word that they messed up in the case you posted here. By comparison however, how much mail do you send and receive every year that isn't a problem?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
I have used USPS for years.. Only used Fed Ex a few times but with no problems.. I used UPS once and that was the LAST time.....Will NEVER use them again if they are the only place to go....

Old 02-05-2015, 09:02 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBull13 View Post
Only 6 complaints out of how many THOUSANDS/MILLIONS of pieces of mail they've handled in their history.. I'd say it's a DAMN GOOD rep rate.

From my recollection, I've only had 1 piece of mail get lost.
A cheap phone cover from a seller at Amazon. So I can't guarantee that it was USPS losing it and not the seller's fault (wrong address for example.)
The seller was very quick to offer a replacement, again via USPS after confirming my address info, and I received it in a couple of days.
Those 6 complaints probably represent a small fraction of the many others who did not find that website and post their bad experiences. I tried their phone number it just gave a beeping noise and disconnected me. Just weird.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
Overall, my experiences with them have been very positive.
The only complaint is that there is a certain sort of officious, persnickity, rule-bent turd with obvious Aspergers Syndrome that always seems to find their way working behind the counter at Post Offices. People who, were they to conduct themselves in that fashion in public or at a bar, would get punched out.

Many years ago, when there was that spate of postal workers going on shooting rampages, they tried to find a reason why. The closest thing they could come up with was that the civil service exam requirements to be a postal worker at that time set the intelligence requirements too high for work so totally menial and mind-numbing, which drove some people already on the edge to total madness. There is a reason why any given post office circa 2015 looks TOTALLY different than it did in 1985 in terms of general staffing complexion.
That is a funny conclusion. Are you saying they dumbed down the postal exam ?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Yes, I have had one incoming and a few outgoing things fail to get to the intended recipient, over the last two and a half years.

My landlord wants me to pay my rent and my portion of utilities by mailing a check. I always do it at least a week early, so that if it gets lost, I will have time to respond without being late. After having things get lost this many times, I have simply lost my trust.

So you are definitely not alone.

No wonder emails are replacing letters these days.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Have you physically gone to the Post Office and showed them your tracking information and asked them what else can be done instead of relying on information online that specifically states online information updates are or can be delayed?
Yes that was the first thing I did. The supervisor told me to go online and file a claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products