Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times

Advertisements

Seems to be an irritating trend at the cash in supermarkets these days whereby the person behind you will start unloading their shopping basket before you have finished unloading yours creating chaos when their stuff is now totally jamming the conveyor belt and you have to figure out where to put the rest of your stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
If you put the cart behind you so it is in front of the customer behind you they cannot do that.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:07 PM

13,139 posts, read 21,055,284 times
I see this often and its manly due to the first customer trying to unload their cart while standing by the cashier to see what is being rung up. That leaves a gap between their items and the end of the conveyor which is a sign for the next customer to start loading their stuff in the free space. If your that close to the cashier where there is space enough for others to load their items on the conveyor, just ask the cashier to stop the conveyor and put the customer separator bar down and use that blank space to place you items as you monitor the cashier. Or you can just unload your cart at the top of the conveyor until you are finished which would block anyone else from using it until you are done.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I see this often and its manly due to the first customer trying to unload their cart while standing by the cashier to see what is being rung up. That leaves a gap between their items and the end of the conveyor which is a sign for the next customer to start loading their stuff in the free space. If your that close to the cashier where there is space enough for others to load their items on the conveyor, just ask the cashier to stop the conveyor and put the customer separator bar down and use that blank space to place you items as you monitor the cashier. Or you can just unload your cart at the top of the conveyor until you are finished which would block anyone else from using it until you are done.
I wonder where they think i'm going to put my cart of groceries.as its obvious if one actually looks i'm not done unloading my cart.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 AM

16,081 posts, read 21,199,453 times
Why is there free space on the belt if you still have groceries in your cart. I tend to assume when someone stops putting items on the belt that they are finished unloading, since that's the way most people do it.
Even if I could see items still in your cart (and with the newer plastic carts that's not always the case) how would I know whether those items had already been scanned and put back in?

Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 AM

22,634 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems to be an irritating trend at the cash in supermarkets these days whereby the person behind you will start unloading their shopping basket before you have finished unloading yours creating chaos when their stuff is now totally jamming the conveyor belt and you have to figure out where to put the rest of your stuff
Having a hard time picturing that.
There is no way anyone can put things on the conveyor... until I am finished and move my cart forward.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:11 AM

13,139 posts, read 21,055,284 times
I think the OP is not loading the conveyor from the top of the checkout aisle but rather bringing the loaded cart with them into the checkout aisle so they are standing pretty much right next to the cashier. As they load the conveyor from the spot where the cashier is, everything behind them is empty allowing the next customer in line to load the conveyor. What is probably also happening is the conveyor is in motion and any gap in the OP's loading triggers the sensor for the belt to move forward causing the next customer's items to collide with the OP's items. Like I said earlier, this is often because the customer wants to watch each item being rung up, or chit chat with the cashier, or is new to this country and hasn't figured out how to load a conveyor.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,331,801 times
I wait for the person ahead of me to finish before I start unloading. It's not rocket science.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I think the OP is not loading the conveyor from the top of the checkout aisle but rather bringing the loaded cart with them into the checkout aisle so they are standing pretty much right next to the cashier. As they load the conveyor from the spot where the cashier is, everything behind them is empty allowing the next customer in line to load the conveyor. What is probably also happening is the conveyor is in motion and any gap in the OP's loading triggers the sensor for the belt to move forward causing the next customer's items to collide with the OP's items. Like I said earlier, this is often because the customer wants to watch each item being rung up, or chit chat with the cashier, or is new to this country and hasn't figured out how to load a conveyor.
Some of what you say is true ,i do stand beside the cashier and load my groceries as fast as possible which is the way most people do it,where else am i supposed to stand?,i dont talk to the cashier,seems some people are just in too much of a hurry and cant wait for the person in front of them to finish unloading their cart.
As for "or is new to this country and hasn't figured out how to load a conveyor" not sure what the implication of that is but i assure you i'm not new to the country and in 70 yrs of grocery shopping i know how to load a grocery store conveyor.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:56 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i know how to load a grocery store conveyor.
If you did, you would not have the problem you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products