Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 04:48 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times

Advertisements

From time to time I find food items at Aldi's (sometimes TJ's) that I just fall in food love with, which is most of the time, a "Special Buy" so when it's gone, it's gone

I absolutely loved these Lentil Veggie Burgers Aldi's recently had. Before you know it, POOF, they're gone. I have Googled the name of them, and the ingredients, trying to find out who makes them. I can't find anything at all, just a bunch of recipes, but nobody that has someting like it already made that I could find. Picture attached.

It's like the manicotti Aldi's carries once every 4-6 months. I love it. I just wish there was a way to find out who makes it to see if it's available under another name when Aldi's doesn't carry it. I hate having to stock up and stuff my freezer like there's a food shortage

This past holiday season they had some ff pumpkin yogurt. It sold out before Halloween even arrived. Once again, can't find out who made it. Found something similar, but not it.

So, is there any way to find out who makes some of the private label items for Aldi's and TJ's? Even if it's a slight ingredient alteration it would be nice to be able to find some of these favorites when their special buy is bought and gone. I know sometimes Aldi's will have the same items as TJ's, just the label has changed to reflect the store.
Attached Thumbnails
Aldi and Trader Joe's - Private Food Labeling - Who Makes...?-20170320_190653.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 04:55 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
big food companies will private label foods for different companies...

usually you can find a like item,,,even if under another name..

type in the upc/bar code in google.......(small numbers under the bar code)

if nothing then try just the last 10 numbers

Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
big food companies will private label foods for different companies...

usually you can find a like item,,,even if under another name..

type in the upc/bar code in google.......(small numbers under the bar code)

if nothing then try just the last 10 numbers

I know some of the brands that PL for Aldi's and TJ's, but not that easy to find info and definitely not finding the lentil burger. I've Googled it by name, by ingredients, and nada, bubkas, zilch. I know whoever is making it for them has to be making them for others, if not themselves, but so far, no idea. I would think the UPC bar code would be just for Aldi's? Will have to pull a box out of the freezer.

The only pumpkin yogurt I noticed was Chibani brand, but the ingredients and nutritional info was totally different than what Aldi's had.

I have my favorites I buy there every week, just hoping they never stop carrying these items. I would buy so much more there if they carried their special buys more often.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Many of my friends work at Aldi USA headquarters in Geneva, IL. It is AGAINST company policy for them to reveal their sources for their private labeled products. That is proprietary information that is closely guarded secret. They also have confidentiality agreements with their suppliers.

I know of some of the producers of certain brands due to the similarity of the packaging and the side by side comparison of the product in a variety of testing that I have done. For example, certain coolies they carry come from Dare in Canada due to identical packaging and country of origin. However, you will be able to find little else.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 PM

711 posts, read 687,989 times
That can be frustrating. We don't have Aldi's but I encounter the same thing with Trader Joes.

I agree with Mainebrokerman about checking the UPC code. I use a calorie tracker and occasionally when I scan the barcode of something purchased at Trader Joes under a TJ label, it will scan under the original mfr name. Sometimes though I think some of their foods may be a special recipe adaption or some other kind of special run done under the Aldi/TJs upc code. Since it's probably a short product run that would explain the limited availability.

That said, I was doing some digging around and came across these:
https://nobullburger.com/the-burgers-recipes/

The calorie count of the original seems to be the same as yours but you'd have to check your ingredients list to see if their close. Then on to find out if they're even available near you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products