Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times

Advertisements

I am, or I should say - was a frequent Amazon buyer. Although I didn't like the shipping charges of many items, I did like the assurance that I was ordering through a secure company. Now, I will have to go back to ordering from any Tom, Dick, or Harry website and take the chance that something could go wrong and I will have to burn and replace a credit card.

My problem? Shipping via what carrier? I do not have a mailbox at my curb so the Postal Service will not deliver anything there (I do this because I can be away from the house for months at a time and this means that my mailbox will overflow and telegraph to thieves that I am not home). I have a PO box that I use to send all my mail too.

The benefits of this setup - aside from not giving thieves notice are:
  • Unlike my neighbors, I do not have to buy a mailbox post every 6 months to a year because some truck knocked it over.
  • I get almost no junk mail.
  • For some reason, this seems to keep jury duty notices away. Not sure why, the DMV has my PO Box address.

The down side - this is where Amazon comes in - is that I have to manage my special deliveries carefully.

Fed-Ex, UPS and other commercial delivery services will not deliver to my PO box, and as I said, the USPS will not deliver to my home, so I need to know how something is going to be shipped to me so I can select the right address.

When ordering from Amazon, I used to be able - when finalizing the order - to see how the package is to be shipped while viewing the shipping charges, recently (within the last month) Amazon seems to have changed their page and though they still list the shipping cost vs. days to delivery, it no longer says who the shipping company is. This is the reason my last three deliveries have gone astray.

Also in the past, Amazon used to say that you can contact the seller to redirect a package after it is ordered. For the last three packages, when I tried to contact them (minutes after the order was placed), I got emails back stating that the package had "already been shipped" and therefore they cannot make a change.

I have tried contacting the company before the order was placed, but then they say, "we cannot make any changes until after the order is placed (they have no account to place a note against in their software when no order has been generated yet).

Phone number? I've been able to find the seller's number, but for the last three orders NOBODY answers the phone. It just rings, and rings, and rings.

I was able to navigate the horrendous "help" menu Amazon uses to attempt to PREVENT you from contacting them to ask a question they have not already decided they will answer. (If their help menu does not provide an answer the only thing you can do is leave feedback that the question was not answered and they will "make a note of it.")

Every once in a while you can get lucky and one of the menu choices will lead to a "call me" page where you can get someone from Amazon to call you. But like most phone drones these days, they have no authority to actually get anything done. They will listen, but I don't think any of them will ever escalate a customer concern to management... They just shine you on, then move on to the next call. For my last lost package, the phone drone told me she would put a note on my order so that when my undeliverable package is bounced back to the shipper, they will note that the delivery is to be redirected to my PO box. I just got notice yesterday that my lost package is being re-shipped - right back to my home address where they couldn't deliver to last week.

Am I the only one who is lately having trouble getting Amazon to deliver correctly?

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-20-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 03:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,006,984 times
For items shipped via an Amazon facility, Amazon ordering has no control over the logistics of the package after ordering. Computers decide where, when and how to ship. It's the backbone of Amazon's free shipping and profits. As a result, it's unlikely they will do much for one customer. Even with thousands having this issue, millions more are satisfied. So, they are not upset with one customer leaving when they get one thousand new ones. Their research has shown that a fair amount will ultimately come back.

I know one person who lives in a non USPS street delivery area and uses a P.O. Box from the same servicing US Post Office had street delivery been available. So, their address looks like this:
Jane Smith
1234 Elm Street (their physical address)
PO Box 987 (their PO Box # at the Post Office)
Anytown, USA 02468 (Zip is same for address and PO)
They have no issues getting packages from whomever (USPS, UPS, FEDEX, etc) that is delivering it.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:35 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
I have all my mail, including mail orders, delivered to the physical POBox address. Size and weight doesn't matter - recently they delivered a mattress and a sofa. The only obstacle is to get it from the post office to my home...
All carriers are accepted. Never had any problem with that. Some of my orders are from Amazon.uk and .de
When ordering you have to write the actual post office address. The POBox number as an (imaginary) appartment or office location. It should look like:
Your name
Post office physical address
Street number, Street name and your POBox #
Town and zip code

example:
Your Name
1234 Main Street, #9204
Anytown 66286
USA

Old 05-20-2017, 05:01 PM

965 posts, read 939,410 times
You are not the only one! It started happening to me about 2 years ago. I have actually returned things when they showed up, or rejected them.
The email from my rural delivery would make a note through Amazon in the morning "attempted delivery" (they don't deliver until after 4pm. They would leave me a note to come to the post office to pick up. I pay for prime, and I'm not taking time off to go stand in line....
So when I go into my orders I find the button "call me" and get someone ususally from WA state. It doesn't matter what notes they put in your file, it still happens. I have been at least a weekly shopper for 13+ years, but I am now doing everything in my power to not use them. I'm sure they don't care in the big scheme of things.

The problems you are having, seems to me to have nothing to do with the way you write your address. The screw up part doesn't.

I have mostly had a PO pox as well, and yes I write as directed:

12 Elm St.
PMB 1234
Anytown, etc....

PEr PO must say PMB for Postal Mail box to differentiate from Box (at road).

I have lived Rurally, and in town using (not by choice):

UPS/FEDEX to house with mailbox out front (down private road no PO box) rural - not USPS f/t employee.
PO BOX no mailbox out front - half UPS/FEDEX to PO, and half to house - In town, though rural area.
PO BOX no mailbox out front - Most UPS/ FEDEX to house - some delivered to PO BOX - in town - randomly....

Then, in the past few years THEY started changing. Some of it is USPS! But mostly amazon just doesn't care anymore. Maybe they are just too busy...

UPS & FEDEX Will always deliver to me now (rural - but just outside city limits), USPS will deliver "when they feel like it" randomly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am, or I should say - was a frequent Amazon buyer. Although I didn't like the shipping charges of many items, I did like the assurance that I was ordering through a secure company. Now, I will have to go back to ordering from any Tom, Dick, or Harry website and take the chance that something could go wrong and I will have to burn and replace a credit card.

My problem? Shipping via what carrier? I do not have a mailbox at my curb so the Postal Service will not deliver anything there (I do this because I can be away from the house for months at a time and this means that my mailbox will overflow and telegraph to thieves that I am not home). I have a PO box that I use to send all my mail too.

The benefits of this setup - aside from not giving thieves notice are:
  • Unlike my neighbors, I do not have to buy a mailbox post every 6 months to a year because some truck knocked it over.
  • I get almost no junk mail.
  • For some reason, this seems to keep jury duty notices away. Not sure why, the DMV has my PO Box address.

The down side - this is where Amazon comes in - is that I have to manage my special deliveries carefully.

Fed-Ex, UPS and other commercial delivery services will not deliver to my PO box, and as I said, the USPS will not deliver to my home, so I need to know how something is going to be shipped to me so I can select the right address.

When ordering from Amazon, I used to be able - when finalizing the order - to see how the package is to be shipped while viewing the shipping charges, recently (within the last month) Amazon seems to have changed their page and though they still list the shipping cost vs. days to delivery, it no longer says who the shipping company is. This is the reason my last three deliveries have gone astray.

Also in the past, Amazon used to say that you can contact the seller to redirect a package after it is ordered. For the last three packages, when I tried to contact them (minutes after the order was placed), I got emails back stating that the package had "already been shipped" and therefore they cannot make a change.

I have tried contacting the company before the order was placed, but then they say, "we cannot make any changes until after the order is placed (they have no account to place a note against in their software when no order has been generated yet).

Phone number? I've been able to find the seller's number, but for the last three orders NOBODY answers the phone. It just rings, and rings, and rings.

I was able to navigate the horrendous "help" menu Amazon uses to attempt to PREVENT you from contacting them to ask a question they have not already decided they will answer. (If their help menu does not provide an answer the only thing you can do is leave feedback that the question was not answered and they will "make a note of it.")

Every once in a while you can get lucky and one of the menu choices will lead to a "call me" page where you can get someone from Amazon to call you. But like most phone drones these days, they have no authority to actually get anything done. They will listen, but I don't think any of them will ever escalate a customer concern to management... They just shine you on, then move on to the next call. For my last lost package, the phone drone told me she would put a note on my order so that when my undeliverable package is bounced back to the shipper, they will note that the delivery is to be redirected to my PO box. I just got notice yesterday that my lost package is being re-shipped - right back to my home address where they couldn't deliver to last week.

Am I the only one who is lately having trouble getting Amazon to deliver correctly?

Old 05-20-2017, 05:43 PM

What about their famous drones? Did anyone ever had delivery per drone or saw a drone flying with a parcel? I never did. Perhaps not time/cost effective to fly one drone per parcel/address?
It could solve some problems with remote rural areas, though ....

Old 05-20-2017, 06:50 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
...I know one person who lives in a non USPS street delivery area and uses a P.O. Box from the same servicing US Post Office had street delivery been available. So, their address looks like this:
Jane Smith
1234 Elm Street (their physical address)
PO Box 987 (their PO Box # at the Post Office)
Anytown, USA 02468 (Zip is same for address and PO)
They have no issues getting packages from whomever (USPS, UPS, FEDEX, etc) that is delivering it.

My daughter lives in a rural area and has no mailbox at her house. So she uses an address exactly like the one above. USPS delivers all her packages to her P O Box and FedEx/UPS delivers everything to her house.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:25 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
snip

The problems you are having, seems to me to have nothing to do with the way you write your address. The screw up part doesn't.

I have mostly had a PO pox as well, and yes I write as directed:

12 Elm St.
PMB 1234
Anytown, etc....

PEr PO must say PMB for Postal Mail box to differentiate from Box (at road).

I have lived Rurally, and in town using (not by choice):

UPS/FEDEX to house with mailbox out front (down private road no PO box) rural - not USPS f/t employee.
PO BOX no mailbox out front - half UPS/FEDEX to PO, and half to house - In town, though rural area.
PO BOX no mailbox out front - Most UPS/ FEDEX to house - some delivered to PO BOX - in town - randomly....

Then, in the past few years THEY started changing. Some of it is USPS! But mostly amazon just doesn't care anymore. Maybe they are just too busy...

UPS & FEDEX Will always deliver to me now (rural - but just outside city limits), USPS will deliver "when they feel like it" randomly...
The "P" in PMB stands for Private Mail Box it is one to distinguish it from a USPS Post Office Box and it designates that address as a business, most are used for UPS stores and their competitors that give you a street address, but is actually a mail receiving location. since it is designated as a business should you move the postal service will not forward mail for an individual PMB renter/owner. It is all as in the entire UPS store gets forwarded or nothing.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

Fed-Ex, UPS and other commercial delivery services will not deliver to my PO box,[/b]
Last year we got a letter from USPS that Fed Ex now delivers or arranges for items to be delivered to USPS boxes. That was welcome news. You're sure they still don't deliver to your area?

Old 05-20-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
My daughter lives in a rural area and has no mailbox at her house. So she uses an address exactly like the one above. USPS delivers all her packages to her P O Box and FedEx/UPS delivers everything to her house.
It's not happening to me, because they don't know my home address. The only address I list EVERYWHERE is my POBox address. So, if you don't want anything delivered to your house, don't tell them where you live

Old 05-21-2017, 06:55 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Alternate solution.
Buy local.
Garner a point of contact that the items can legitimately be shipped to.
Such as a trusted local relative or friend.
I've cancelled Amazon for other reasons . To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products