Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:14 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

I've been on NextDoor for a while. I just moved to a new area, and people don't post much on it, because there's not much to post unless there's a problem, or something wants to sell/give something away.

But where I moved from, there were numerous posts about crime, along with people asking what do to do about certain neighborhood problems.

I don't much of that in my new neighborhood, and it's really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Like it a lot.
I ignore the snowflakes.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:38 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I am on it, but I'm not active, except to read what others say. Most of the posters are from neighborhoods im not familiar with, so I don't really care if their kids bike got stolen, or if the garbage truck made a rut in their lawn.

Once in awhile, I'll respond to a specific question if I know the answer. There was just a lot of buzz about an alarm company going door to door.....stuff like that.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM

153 posts, read 138,272 times
I live in Bucks County, a Phila. suburb, and would, periodically, get invitations in the mail encouraging my household to register on Nextdoor. There were times I was tempted to join just out of curiosity, but my cowardice won out. Let me explain: At the time my house was not in tip-top shape (post-divorce, money problems, etc.) and the development did/does have a Homeowners Association. The HOA is run by some gossipy types of individuals, some of whom seem to thrive on calling residents out, if you will, on issues ranging from improper disposal of dog waste to painting a deck a darker shade than the rules allow.

Also, having lived there for many years - and knowing many of the residents - I suspected nosy types would just relish having a website like NextDoor on which to snoop and gossip about their neighbors. I thought it was bad enough that a couple of the neighbors had police scanners going at all times of the night and day.

Although I never did sign up for NextDoor while living in that community I still do wonder what information they post and how meaningful any of it is for the average person. Now that I'm no longer living there it's probably too late to find out.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:56 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
In my neighborhood, most posts relate to people selling stuff (furniture, exercise equipment...), garage sales, recommendations for handymen and other services, warnings and sharing security videos (suspicious people at door..), and lost and found pets.

As a Craigslist alternative it reaches a smaller but local pool of buyers. but they are less likely to be scammers or hagglers.

The default is to use real name/real address but for privacy you can use fake name & not display your address.

www.nextdoor.com
I do! I really like it too. It's more honest.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:05 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califcouple orniaGal View Post
I was just banned from Nextdoor.com today for actually calling the police because a neighbor was being assaulted in the middle of the intersection by where we live. Someone was actually upset that I called the police to get someone to help her. I am in disbelief. I actually told Nextdoor to ban me permanently. Yesterday I had two posters gang up on me - called me an old lady along with calling me a racist because they misunderstood my post. People read between the lines and if they do not like the person they will create drama. It's just a horrible platform -

I actually think Nextdoor was the worst thing ever invented for neighborhoods. It's great for lost pets and selling things but that's it. If you even mention the ethnicity of a perpetrator you get called out for being a racist. I find it not helpful at all and has caused hurt feelings between neighbors. I heard and then read that George Tenet EX CIA Director is a backer of Nextdoor.com. That's interesting.
Hmm...interesting.

Where I used to live in Chicago we had an incident a couple of months ago. A gang of kids/teens were biking around and apparently assaulting people. The writer had been a victim himself. Anyways...he described it all except their looks. He even had pictures but refused to post them because he didn't want to play " that political card"!!??
So I asked him...why. He said he wanted us to go to our alderman because the police refused to do anything.
Seriously !!

Old 12-14-2017, 11:47 PM

403 posts, read 462,588 times
Quote:
Houston Mayor Joins Nextdoor Social Media Platform
Neighbors can connect to discuss public safety, break ins, lost pets, local events, block parties and more on the private social network

HOUSTON, TX — A social media app that brings neighborhoods together got a major boost Tuesday when Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner promoted the app and encouraged fellow Houstonians to also join. The Nextdoor app is one way to stay in the know about what's going on in your neighborhood — whether it's finding a last-minute babysitter, learning about an upcoming block party, hearing about a rash of car break-ins, neighborhood public safety issues, community events and activities, local services and even lost pets.

Turner announced he has started using Nextdoor, the private social network for neighborhoods, to better connect with residents on a hyper-local level. The mayor will post under the city's Nextdoor account, which was established this past May.
https://patch.com/texas/midtownhoust...media-platform

Old 12-22-2017, 11:25 PM

323 posts, read 219,334 times
I started using it a little when i first moved to my area but I uninstalled it a few months ago. Just more social media bs

Old 12-25-2017, 02:45 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
I just tried to join because we have one apt building in our area that has been a thorn in our side for quite awhile now.

Do you seriously have to allow them to download/import your address book from your personal email account? I can't seem to find a way around that. There is no way I am going to share all of my personal contacts with them. That makes zero sense why they would need that info other than to spam them by trying to get them to join.

Anyone know any way around that?

Old 12-25-2017, 10:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I was just banned from Nextdoor.com today for actually calling the police because a neighbor was being assaulted in the middle of the intersection by where we live. Someone was actually upset that I called the police to get someone to help her. I am in disbelief. I actually told Nextdoor to ban me permanently. Yesterday I had two posters gang up on me - called me an old lady along with calling me a racist because they misunderstood my post. People read between the lines and if they do not like the person they will create drama. It's just a horrible platform -

I actually think Nextdoor was the worst thing ever invented for neighborhoods. It's great for lost pets and selling things but that's it. If you even mention the ethnicity of a perpetrator you get called out for being a racist. I find it not helpful at all and has caused hurt feelings between neighbors. I heard and then read that George Tenet EX CIA Director is a backer of Nextdoor.com. That's interesting.
That is a weird reason for banning, but honestly I do not like the race being mentioned if one isn't making a police report, why is it needed?

Is everyone supposed to be on the lookout for say, the two black men you saw doing whatever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products