Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This weirds me out, too. My latest conclusion is that they don't want you to have the option to fill out the survey on the receipt. Or, they want to give your receipt to a friend, if the friend can fill out the survey and get something free. For instance, the local Jack In The Box (hamburger fast food joint) has a survey you can fill out on every receipt that gives you a buy one get one free burger or croissant breakfast thing.

Only one cashier in particular, never gives me my receipt and I always have to ask for it, and then she acts all surprised, "Oh, you want your receipt?" It was already printed out. My guess is that she gives them to her friends for half price burgers.
I've never even thought of that, but it's true, a lot of the receipts these days have a survey thing that you can do and then you get something for free, sometimes food, product, or even have a chance at a raffle. I don't even do the surveys, but some people do and they also take advantage of the freebies. This would be good reason for them holding on to the receipts. It really does feel weird when they ask if you want your receipt, of course, I want my receipt, why wouldn't I? It makes you kind of feel bad because you wonder if they think you want to check if they shorted you but I really want it more for the possibility that a product doesn't work out or is the wrong brand or type and I have to return it. And sometimes you do want to check if you weren't double charged for an item. Just give me my receipt without asking, does the little paper it's printed on cost that much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 01:48 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
When I go grocery shopping, I buy a lot of things, often more than $100. worth and I may have more than 100 items. Even though I punch a lot of buttons and keys every day on my cameras and keyboards, I just don't want to do all those things at a store, so I've never used self-checkout

Old 07-02-2017, 08:20 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
Self check sucks. The systems are ridiculously finicky about the speed and the placing things in the bagging area. I don't do it unless the regular lines are way long.
I was going to say the same - totally sucks. I don't mind bagging my own stuff, and I always bring my own bags. Plus I buy things like alcohol, so you need a person for that. Thankfully, my grocery store has no self-checkout, they know people don't like it for the most part. And the other store I shop is ALDI, where there is also no self-check but you bag your own which I don't mind at all.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:21 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
I like the self checkout option and if there is a problem running something through the scanner an employee is always right at hand to assist.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:03 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This weirds me out, too. My latest conclusion is that they don't want you to have the option to fill out the survey on the receipt. Or, they want to give your receipt to a friend, if the friend can fill out the survey and get something free. For instance, the local Jack In The Box (hamburger fast food joint) has a survey you can fill out on every receipt that gives you a buy one get one free burger or croissant breakfast thing.

Only one cashier in particular, never gives me my receipt and I always have to ask for it, and then she acts all surprised, "Oh, you want your receipt?" It was already printed out. My guess is that she gives them to her friends for half price burgers.
I always figured they're trying to appeal to the more eco-conscious among us, who, when offered the option not to waste paper, decline the receipt. I have one friend in particular who is very much that kind of customer.

Old 07-02-2017, 02:00 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
At Wal*Mart i get a free donut.... The register tells me i scan one donut while there are two in the bag. OKAY.... fine with me.....
I don't think that is stealing, something I do not do.
How is that not stealing? You are taking home two donuts and you are only paying for one

Old 07-02-2017, 04:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
10-20 seconds of "work" to save 5+ minutes of time? Hell, yeah.

Seriously, I am envious of the work history of anyone who thinks spending a few seconds scanning is too much work.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:05 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Love self-check out.

Love it.

I purposefully go to the grocery store that has it, to use it.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
I like them and will use them more often than not - but there are a couple of instances in which I'll use a cashier.

- If I have a lot of stuff. Those registers just aren't built to handle a cart full of items.
- When using certain types of coupons. Example: Target will put coupons on their meat and I've had trouble with them every time I've used the self checkout. I asked the employee manning them if there was a way to process them without having to call for help and she said no. Rather annoying.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:31 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You ask for fast food receipts? I don't think many people do, most people only want receipts in case they might need a refund on an item. Most of our customers who buy cigarettes or booze or other things they can't refund almost always tell us to toss the receipts. I'll keep grocery receipts for large purchases but for just an item or two i usually leave the receipt behind or toss it in the trash as I go out of the store. I understand more and more customers are also choosing to have their receipts sent to them electronically too, not sure at all how that works though...
I always ask for receipts for every transaction. I actually check them against my checking account a few times a week. I've caught more than one that was higher than my receipt and not just at a restaurant. I've had a few charge me twice for the same amount, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products