Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

All the stores around here have someone over the self checkout area, though sometimes late in the evening it's the same person who covers the customer service counter too.
I love using them, and I don't even mind the produce, assuming I remember to make sure they have their stickers, lol. The only time I don't use them is if I have big bulky or heavy items, or the rare occasions when I have a shopping cart full to the rim and I don't feel like having to deal with the small staging area most self scans have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 12:01 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
I'll use manned or self-checkout depending on the length of the lines.

I grew up in a military family; at the commissary, you helped bag your groceries AND tipped the bagger.

So I'm comfortable bagging my own stuff, and rather prefer it to the random way some baggers throw bread at the bottom of the bag, then frozen food, topped with a few cans...

Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
I absolutely LOVE self checkout! If a store has it, I'm using it. I prefer it over a cashier. I'm usually much faster and I can easily pack my items how I want. I don't dilly dally. I've got things to do.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:06 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
to all those who oppose self check-out due to the cashiers losing their jobs: Do you only buy gas where they still have attendants? Never get money at ATM. Never buy anything on-line? Really?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
What would you rather they say to you? Should they just be robots who scan, bag, take your money and ignore you? Are the customers also "insincere" when they ask the cashier how their day is going?
Oh this is coming! There's actually technology that scans as you go and you don't even checkout. it will automatically charge your credit card. It's pretty cool. It will dramatically cut down on theft as well.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
The stores are purposely closing their cash registers in order to force shoppers into the self-checkout lanes. Who doesn't understand that?
I'm not their employee. I won't do the work of a cashier without getting paid, nor will I contribute to the termination of cashiers across America.

Shoppers who refuse the self-checkouts are trying to create some job security for our brothers and sisters. Unfortunately too many other people care only about themselves.

We could stop the self-checkouts from becoming a job-stealing reality. But it won't happen unless we exercise unity and put up with some discomfort for a while.
Avoiding self checkout does not stop it from coming into stores. More and more stores are adding it every year. Machines are much cheaper than employees. They don't require breaks, vacations, days off, or sick time. They can work 24/7 without issue. A handful of people avoiding self checkout aren't going to save cashier jobs. With minimum wage increasing dramatically around the country, prices will rise and these machines will be even more common. Being a cashier has about zero skill. Think about it.....if a 6 year old can scan groceries, how challenging is it?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:17 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Watkins View Post
I usually go with self check out. As far as cashiers losing their jobs, in my experience about half of them don't seem to want to be there anyway. And the baggers are usually slow or throw the bread in with canned items or other such bad combinations - That's if you have a bagger. The cashiers will often just stand there and watch you do all the bagging. And I'd rather be doing something other than standing there. It's a bit awkward.
In my area the few stores still using baggers usually employ staff with various mental or intellectual issues so I normally give them a pass as long as they don't actively harm my purchases.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
to all those who oppose self check-out due to the cashiers losing their jobs: Do you only buy gas where they still have attendants? Never get money at ATM. Never buy anything on-line? Really?
Those are GREAT comparisons! I don't even know where there's a gas station that has someone who will pump my gas! I really don't think there's a full service pump anywhere around me. I haven't been inside my personal bank since the day I opened my account a few years ago. When I need cash, I hit the ATM. Should I confess that UPS just dropped off a package from Amazon?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:20 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
At Wal*Mart i get a free donut.... The register tells me i scan one donut while there are two in the bag. OKAY.... fine with me.....
I don't think that is stealing, something I do not do.
You do know you are supposed to key in the quantity of bulk items purchased in a bag, right?

Old 06-30-2017, 01:02 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,385 times
I use both self- and regular check out. If something is on sale or I think there'll be a problem with the price, or I have a lot of stuff-I use regular. If only a few items and/ or I'm in a rush, I use self. Also depends on lines. Some times the regular cashiers are standing around or have short lines, while the self check out are full or have a line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products