Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times

Advertisements

My current sheets are Lands End oxford cloth cotton. A sort of rough all cotton weave. I liked them because they are absorbant and cool and the ends aren't too deep so they fit my bed. (Modern day percale sounds good but I've found that the crispy cruncy often comes from a resin coating so I'm done with percale.) But the oxford cloth is sort of rough, or maybe some coating has finally worn off and so it tends to pull at my cotton pj's and get rucked up.

I'm a huge tosser and turner with major insomnia and so while I use those side clips for the mattress cover and these sheets fit pretty tight eventually they do sort of ruck up and they are wearing out.

I decided I should maybe give the more tighter weave I find in hotels a try so I just bought some Macy 525 count cotton hotel collection sheets.

They arrived. They are shiny. Hotel sheets I'm used to at hotels are that smoother sateen weave but not shiny. So that was a surprise. Shiny and slick.
They are also 18" deep corners which i missed in the advert. Its hard to find quality sheets for regular mattresses.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/h...e%26slotId%3D6

So here are my concerns.

Will this shiny slickness be hot? They are cotton but not the cotton i'm used to I guess. I sleep hot an sweaty and I'm wondering if these will just make that worse.

I also wonder if the slickness will just exacerbate them rucking up - since they are also too big. I could sew in a fold in the length to make them shorter though I keep them. They might not last as long along that seam IDK.
But I think the slickness will be more of an issue than size for the sheets not staying put.

I also just realized that while expensive they are not supima or egyptian.

I'm not sure what to think.

Last edited by Giesela; 05-10-2018 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
I bought these sheets several years ago because the deep pockets on most sheets were too big for my mattress. Really liked them. But they were very wrinkly and I didn’t like that about them; but very comfy and the fitted sheet was perfect. Also, the top sheet was not as wide as I like; I like the top sheet to drape about 8 inches over the ends of the mattress. Now I have a topper for that same mattress so I need deep pockets.

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...antValue=White

Old 05-10-2018, 08:39 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Just because the sheets say "Hotel" doesn't mean that's what hotels use - that's just a Macy's brand! You need to read up on diff. types of sheets - sateen, percale, etc. - there is lots of info. out there. You need to read exactly what you bought (for what it's worth I find the "shiny" sheets - if I know what you're talking about, to be way to hot.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 AM

I can't remember for sure but it seems like when looking for sheets the last time I thought LL Beans were too thin and didn't like the color and maybe I tried Vermont Country stores too and thought they were too thin. Either than or I'm thinking about a robe I tried from Vermont that was too thin. Anyway, I like a little bit of substance/not too thin sheets and I suspect Vermonts might be too thin.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Just because the sheets say "Hotel" doesn't mean that's what hotels use - that's just a Macy's brand! You need to read up on diff. types of sheets - sateen, percale, etc. - there is lots of info. out there. You need to read exactly what you bought (for what it's worth I find the "shiny" sheets - if I know what you're talking about, to be way to hot.
I do know and have read, maybe more than you. Fat lot of good it does you to have all sorts of detail when the retailers don't actually tell you much. Like that some sheets are coated with silicone to make them feel softer - but retailers don't include that info. Same with resin coated percale. Retailers don't tell you whether it is or isn't.

Last edited by Giesela; 05-10-2018 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
My friend loved the sheets at a Four Seasons Hotel so arranged with the hotel to buy some just like them. I think she spend about $800 for a set for her king-sized bed at home. She loves them; bought a second set and now takes sheets along on any travels. First thing she does at a motel is strip the bed and put on her own sheets! She claims she can only get a good night’s sleep on her own sheets and accepts this as one of the things she must do when traveling.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:49 PM

4,955 posts, read 3,318,028 times
I am trying to get information for Dorm room bedding and good cotton sheets shopping and at site
Everything You Need to Know About Cotton Sheets is useful reading.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:55 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My current sheets are Lands End oxford cloth cotton. A sort of rough all cotton weave. I liked them because they are absorbant and cool and the ends aren't too deep so they fit my bed. (Modern day percale sounds good but I've found that the crispy cruncy often comes from a resin coating so I'm done with percale.) But the oxford cloth is sort of rough, or maybe some coating has finally worn off and so it tends to pull at my cotton pj's and get rucked up.

I'm a huge tosser and turner with major insomnia and so while I use those side clips for the mattress cover and these sheets fit pretty tight eventually they do sort of ruck up and they are wearing out.

I decided I should maybe give the more tighter weave I find in hotels a try so I just bought some Macy 525 count cotton hotel collection sheets.

They arrived. They are shiny. Hotel sheets I'm used to at hotels are that smoother sateen weave but not shiny. So that was a surprise. Shiny and slick.
They are also 18" deep corners which i missed in the advert. Its hard to find quality sheets for regular mattresses.
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/h...e%26slotId%3D6

So here are my concerns.

Will this shiny slickness be hot? They are cotton but not the cotton i'm used to I guess. I sleep hot an sweaty and I'm wondering if these will just make that worse.

I also wonder if the slickness will just exacerbate them rucking up - since they are also too big. I could sew in a fold in the length to make them shorter though I keep them. They might not last as long along that seam IDK.
But I think the slickness will be more of an issue than size for the sheets not staying put.

I also just realized that while expensive they are not supima or egyptian.

I'm not sure what to think.
I am very particular about sheet material. Don't fall for the more expensive the better...

Cannot sleep on sateen due to the heat generated.... buy Egyptian cotton PERCALE or cotton percale. They remain cool...but they do wrinkle but I don't care...Vermont Country Store carries these online...I have some. LLBean has an organic percale I like too.

Supima is ok but don't get sateen.

The only other material I use is linen...but they are costly. Very comfortable after a few washings.

I'd return what you bought....

Last edited by greatblueheron; 06-02-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 03:56 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
[quote=WorldKlas;51852563]I bought these sheets several years ago because the deep pockets on most sheets were too big for my mattress. Really liked them. But they were very wrinkly and I didn’t like that about them; but very comfy and the fitted sheet was perfect. Also, the top sheet was not as wide as I like; I like the top sheet to drape about 8 inches over the ends of the mattress. Now I have a topper for that same mattress so I need deep pockets.

[url]https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/open-stock-resin-free-sheets/product/63542?

I have these sheets too...don't mind wrinkles...

OP, HAD SOME FROM MACY'S...THEY ARE NOT SATEEN BUT STILL HOT!

Old 06-07-2018, 11:52 AM

252 posts, read 359,202 times
A few months ago, I visited Atlantis in Bahamas. I loved the bedding and took pictures of the labels. The sheets were Hanseatic Bedding. I ordered from their website HBPshop and got exactly same sheets. The pillow was New Generation by Harbor Linen, going to order that soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products