Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:36 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

People don't know how to leave reviews!

I'm a huge fan of Amazon shopping. I used to base a lot of my decision on the product ratings, however, after reading many reviews I realize I cannot trust people to make the decision for me...if you know what I mean. I used to though. I used to trust the ratings without even reading the comments.

People will rate a product 1 star because UPS or Fedex damaged the product in shipping, or because it took them 6 hour to assemble something...basically their own problem. Not the product itself.
Other people will rate things low because they ordered the wrong color or the wrong size.

I'm sure many of you know what Im talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 08:50 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Oh yes....they'll give a low rating number for a recipe when they changed the recipe to suit themselves or when they made substitutions...

or a low number when the shoes they ordered
didn't turn out the way they expected...but were exactly as pictured on the site.

None of which is helpful to a potential buyer.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:18 AM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I used to trust the ratings without even reading the comments.
I would never trust the ratings because many products have highly inflated ratings from fake reviews.

Quote:
or because it took them 6 hour to assemble something.
Anything that takes 6 hours to assemble deserves a 1 star review. I would be thankful for the warning.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
You have to sift ratings, be they Amazon or Yelp. You have to find people who actually bought the same product, have had it long enough to form a good judgment and can describe a real problem and attempts to remediate it.

My favorites include ones like this:

[five stars] "This refrigerator is just the best in its price range and has all the features our family needs and is easy to clean and energy efficient and I'm sure we will love it when it gets here next week." (Endemic in tire reviews, unfortunately.)

[one star] "The packaging on this popcorn maker was almost impossible to open. I had to go find a pair of scissors to cut the plastic shell."

[two stars] "My neighbor had one of these and hated it, but I'm giving it a second star anyway because it comes in so many colors."

[four stars] "Product is perfect but the UPS guy left the package in the rain, so I'm taking away one star."

...etc.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
My favorites include ones like this:

[five stars] "This refrigerator is just the best in its price range and has all the features our family needs and is easy to clean and energy efficient and I'm sure we will love it when it gets here next week." (Endemic in tire reviews, unfortunately.)
Yeah, you really have to look through the reviews. Some of the five star reviews are just as ridiculous as the 1 star reviews. People rate the products based on how easy it was to order, or on how quick the shipping was, when they haven't even used the product yet.

I don't want to see product reviews that are actually reviewing the company or delivery service. I want to know how the product is.

I wish these types of reviews would be deleted, but then it seems some companies encourage it. I've gotten emails from companies asking that I leave a product review even before the product ships. I then respond back letting them know I will not be leaving a review until I've had the product for at least a month.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:02 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've gotten emails from companies asking that I leave a product review even before the product ships. I then respond back letting them know I will not be leaving a review until I've had the product for at least a month.
"...if it lasts that long."

Old 11-29-2018, 02:59 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
www.fakespot.com

Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
People don't know how to leave reviews!

I'm a huge fan of Amazon shopping. I used to base a lot of my decision on the product ratings, however, after reading many reviews I realize I cannot trust people to make the decision for me...if you know what I mean. I used to though. I used to trust the ratings without even reading the comments.

People will rate a product 1 star because UPS or Fedex damaged the product in shipping, or because it took them 6 hour to assemble something...basically their own problem. Not the product itself.
Other people will rate things low because they ordered the wrong color or the wrong size.

I'm sure many of you know what Im talking about.
yes, yes the same thing with the reviews on airbnb as well. if you want consostent opinions read Consummer Reports or learn to filter such abnormal reviews

Old 11-29-2018, 04:13 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
Similarly, some people just ignore the questions on a customer service review to interject their unrelated opinions. They just want to complain, and those pesky questions just get in their way! When the respondent's comment has nothing to do with the question asked, how are we supposed to take it seriously?

"Were you waited on promptly?"
Your aisles are too narrow. Won't be back.
"Did you require assistance in a specialty department?"
Your store is too cold. Too many screaming kids.

Then, as if the tone-deafness needed an exclamation point, they will give the restaurant "one star" of five because the sun was too bright out on the patio, where they chose to sit.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
After reading your doll house thread, I went to Target's website to look up the Barbie dream house, just to see what they look like these days.

First review:

5 stars (would recommend)
I really cannot comment on this product yet, as it's her Christmas present. She put a huge circle around it in the Target Toy catalog, so I'm sure she'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products