Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:27 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,201,046 times

Advertisements

Costco, Walmart, Sam's Club & Target comparisons?

Question for all, please compare & share what you tend to buy in each of these stores. Especially when it comes to food.
For example, do you tend to buy your meats at Costco, dairy products at Sams club, fruits & veggies at Walmart, toilet paper at Target, shampoo, soap, paper towels at Walmart? etc. etc.

Where do you tend to find the best quality fish, chicken, meat, pork, dairy, fruits, veggies, olive oil, coconut oil, peanut butter, nuts, flour, pasta, rice, spices, sardines, wild caught canned salmon, tuna? Where do you get the most value for your money? Please be as detailed as you can, and elaborate on whatever items you buy in each place. If there are other categories I missed, please share. Thanks in advance

If you have a membership to both Costco & Sam's Club, which one do you prefer & why? Thanks

Last edited by countrylv22; 12-05-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,201,046 times
Thumbs up Organic fruits & veggies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post

Question for all, please compare & share what you tend to buy in each of these stores. Especially when it comes to food.
For example, do you tend to buy your meats at Costco, dairy products at Sams club, fruits & veggies at Walmart, toilet paper at Target, shampoo, soap, paper towels at Walmart? etc. etc.

Where do you tend to find the best quality fish, chicken, meat, pork, dairy, fruits, veggies, olive oil, coconut oil, peanut butter, nuts, flour, pasta, rice, spices, sardines, wild caught canned salmon, tuna? Where do you get the most value for your money? Please be as detailed as you can, and elaborate on whatever items you buy in each place. If there are other categories I missed, please share. Thanks in advance

If you have a membership to both Costco & Sam's Club, which one do you prefer & why? Thanks

If you happen to buy organic fruits & veggies, where do you get the best quality?
Costco, Sam's Club, Wal Mart or Target? Thanks!

Old 12-05-2018, 01:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
If you happen to buy organic fruits & veggies, where do you get the best quality?
Costco, Sam's Club, Wal Mart or Target? Thanks!
Send me a DM for a price quote.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I buy 90% lean ground beef ($2.99/lb) and pork tenderloin ($2.49/lb if you buy a case) at Sam's. I buy butter($12 for 4 lbs) and block cheeses (cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan) there. I also buy their brand of paper towels, and the big bag of jasmine rice. Veggies at Sam's are nothing special at all. I don't care for their canned albacore tuna. The spices are good prices but only if you're able to use it all up within a reasonable amount of time.

I don't buy any groceries at Walmart. The Walmart stores here have kind of gross produce departments and don't carry some of the basic things I need, like non-enriched flour. And I can't buy chicken there because it has broth added.

I also don't buy groceries at Target because the couple of times I have, I've found bugs in them. Target is also the highest priced option around here.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,271,617 times
I don't go to Wal-Mart or Sam's because I don't like their business model (squeeze the suppliers and the employees) and I don't trust them to monitor their supply chain- not just food safety but ethics, worker conditions, sustainability, etc.

Don't buy groceries at Target- there's always one thing oar another that I want that they don't have.

I buy nearly everything at Costco, with the exception of some things I can't use in giant quantities.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:48 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I don't go to Wal-Mart or Sam's because I don't like their business model (squeeze the suppliers and the employees) and I don't trust them to monitor their supply chain- not just food safety but ethics, worker conditions, sustainability, etc.

I have dealt with nearly every large retailer over the years. None of them are much better than Walmart and some of them are much worse. The natural chains will squeeze suppliers as much as the standard grocery chains. Some will ask suppliers for new product ideas and when they get them, the retailer sends them over seas to be reverse engineered.

My experience has been that Walmart employees generally get more hours than in some of the large grocery chains and get to take a lot more of it home as they don't have to shell out a lot of money to the UFCW.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:02 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
I only belong to Costco, but I am limited in what I buy there because we don't want most things in huge quantities. There are great deals to be found, but a lot of their food is on the expensive side if you are a good bargain hunter who goes to more than one store.

I saw 6 pound packages of 88/12 ground beef there today for $2.99/lb, but I didn't want to have to break it down and vacuum seal and freeze it, so I stopped by Kroger on my way home and got a 3 pound package of slightly fattier beef for the same price per pound (on sale). Turns out the Kroger beef recall did not affect my area, luckily.

I did enjoy free sampling my way through the store as my girlfriend stood me up for lunch today.

The items I came home with today were:

24 string cheese $6.99 --- this is really really good cheese, not all rubbery like some
24 oz package very nice quality organic white mushrooms $4.99
Huge can of crushed tomatoes $2.99 (I'm making a vat of spaghetti sauce for the deep freeze )

2 pkgs LED light bulbs $11.99 and $8.99 -- 10 total bulbs
Fleece lined soft, warm sweatshirt for my husband -- $16

I also enjoyed the $1.50 hot dog and soda lunch deal

Old 12-05-2018, 06:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Of those listed, we only buy at Costco, and then mostly paper goods and detergent. There are only the two of us. We do like their Trident salmon burgers and DH likes their premade hamburgers. I have bought the large pack of chicken thighs I find there, a pack of rib eyes, which was a splurge, and a box of Kind bars.

In our area we have WINCOs and I buy most everything there, because I like their selection, bulk food offerings and their reasonable prices. I also buy a few fresh organic and non organic veggies there. But for most of my fresh veggies, I rely on Whole Foods for its decent selection of organic produce. I’ve also taken to buying ground beef there. The ground beef I find in most local stores is frankly awful. But I stay away from the meat counter there because the stuff is too pricey for me.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:

The order I would buy in:

1) Costco
2) Target
3) Sam's
4) WalMart

I try to do as much of my shopping at Costco as reasonably possible. I actually don't do a whole lot of grocery shopping at Target because the one by my house is just your run of the mill target with a pretty limited grocery selection and the Super Target is literally right next to the Costco, making another trip superfluous. That said, most of the Target brand foods and like are actually pretty good. Sam's Club is also right by the Costco and Costco is the far superior of the two.

I don't like WalMart at all, and really only go there for very simple stuff or when it is late at night.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,518 times
I have memberships to both and only shop at Sam's because its here where I live. There is no Costco closer than an hour, but we go there whenever we are in that area. I can make an online Costco order and have it the next day. There is no comparison for me on quality and selection between Costco and Sam's. It's not close.

I use Walmart for work sometimes. I pre-order online and pick it up without going into to the store. This has not always been a smooth process. Of the 4 times I have recently used this service only one time has been without a hiccup. You can online check-in before you leave to pick up the order, so they have your order ready when you arrive. But if the check-in doesn't work, then no one is expecting you when you arrive. And if you call the number on the big sign outside the pick up area and no one answers...very frustrating. My experience with Sam's pre-order hasn't been much better. I've been there for pick up and had my order not filled at all, or items missing.

I go to Target on occasion, but the location is horrible (everybody hates the location, it's not just me) and it's difficult to combine with other errands. So Target just gets so-so love from me. Rarely, do I buy food there. It's mostly household stuff.

Most of my shopping happens at Publix. The service is good, it's just a couple minutes from my home and they load the groceries into my car with a smile. I go to Sam's about twice a month. Costco about every 6 weeks. As soon as we get a Costco, I will let my Sam's membership go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products