Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:46 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,056,379 times

Advertisements

Been seeing this over and over. Prices on Amazon are no longer the best deal at all, and they are often forcing you to buy multiple quantities of anything that is too cheap.

Shop more carefully. There was a time when you could just log on, use Prime, pick what you want, and “add to cart” knowing that you were getting a good deal. NO MORE. Most prices are average at best. Check other sites. Amazon is maturing as a company, starting to overpay and overfringe middle management, and opening physical plant in many different areas, all of which takes overhead and begins to narrow the unit cost gap between brick and mortar retailers and Amazon. Plus these stupid $15 minimum wage state monopoly labor price fixing laws are starting to have the expected adverse effect on consumers. There’s no free lunch. Overpaying low level labor means we all get ripped off.

Anyway, Amazon is no longer the great deal it once was. If this continues, I will consider dropping Prime and looking for other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 02:06 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,943,333 times
You mention Prime,I do not have Prime and always get items in 2-3 days or sooner.
Like Dish which I have had for years.I will not ever use pay for view nor pay for Prime.
Dish did make me pay for locals for a very short while.I was able to cancel and now get my locals,34,instead of there choosing 6 with an over the air antenna.
If they increase my cost I will cancel.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Prices might be lower on other sites, but you have to add the cost of shipping. Amazon is priced to cover shipping ( come on. Shipping isn't literally "free")

I shop, I figure price plus shipping and prices with Amazon are very often exactly the same as prices elsewhere.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,254,984 times
Prices were bound to go up. Forgetting about the tariffs for some goods, Amazon is trying to move into brick and mortar and this costs money.

Increased cost of hiring and purchasing buildings is a cost of doing business. Don't forget that in Amazon's beginning years, they had very little real estate other than what they used for data centers.

Why be upset about amazon being forced to hire people at the higher minimum wage? those wage earners do more to stimulate the economy than wealthy people shoving all their money in the bank.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,959,831 times
Amazon charges like 15% in fees to the seller. Try reaching out directly and ask the seller if they’d give you 10% discount if you buy direct. Amazon also holds the money for a week or 2.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,056,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Prices were bound to go up. Forgetting about the tariffs for some goods, Amazon is trying to move into brick and mortar and this costs money.

Increased cost of hiring and purchasing buildings is a cost of doing business. Don't forget that in Amazon's beginning years, they had very little real estate other than what they used for data centers.

Why be upset about amazon being forced to hire people at the higher minimum wage? those wage earners do more to stimulate the economy than wealthy people shoving all their money in the bank.
I am not interested in paying more for goods as part of a price-fixing scheme initiated by the State and backed with the threat of violence. The minimum wage is a ghastly overreach and should be abolished. Same with rent control and other price fixing schemes. The free market should determine wages, not the State.

I am fine with prices going up for business reasons, and I can shop elsewhere if I want to. But rising prices caused by State price fixing of labor costs is not something I can support or rationalize.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:04 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,286,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Been seeing this over and over. Prices on Amazon are no longer the best deal at all, and they are often forcing you to buy multiple quantities of anything that is too cheap.

Shop more carefully. There was a time when you could just log on, use Prime, pick what you want, and “add to cart” knowing that you were getting a good deal. NO MORE. Most prices are average at best. Check other sites. Amazon is maturing as a company, starting to overpay and overfringe middle management, and opening physical plant in many different areas, all of which takes overhead and begins to narrow the unit cost gap between brick and mortar retailers and Amazon. Plus these stupid $15 minimum wage state monopoly labor price fixing laws are starting to have the expected adverse effect on consumers. There’s no free lunch. Overpaying low level labor means we all get ripped off.

Anyway, Amazon is no longer the great deal it once was. If this continues, I will consider dropping Prime and looking for other options.
I also heard on Clark Howard that Amazon is fudging on the two day delivery. It’s often no longer two days from when you buy it, it’s two days from when it’s fulfilled. So you buy it, they are backed up, and they pick it four days later and you get it two days after that.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:24 PM

1,354 posts, read 792,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Yes, you better check other vendors.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,942,410 times
I only buy things on Amazon when I can’t get them at a local retailer for the same price. One shouldn’t assume Amazon has the best prices - only the convenience of having it dropped at your doorstep. We have the older Sonicare toothbrushes and Amazon sells a 4 pack of replacement heads for $14.99. Same with my refrigerator water filters and my HVAC whole house filter. We buy a lot of things on Amazon but it all comes down to convenience AND getting a better price than I can pay elsewhere.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:42 PM

61,869 posts, read 87,339,575 times
I agree, the prices are not competitive anymore, but the business in now based on convenience. Instead to log in several websites and put your billing info there, you can get the same stuff (even if more expensive) at one place with combined shipping. I guess lots of people rather do that. And Amazon knows it.

Last edited by elnina; 12-13-2018 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products