Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,550,605 times

Advertisements

Shopping on-line is something I feel guilty about at times.

In the past few years, I have observed many small shops go out of business where I live.

I feel like my on-line shopping habits are a contributing factor to this.

I hate the idea that in a few more years, there will only be big box stores and shipping warehouses. There won't be any small shops anymore because they can't stay in business. They can never compete against the prices of the big chains and on-line retailers. This makes me sad for some reason.

I have some health problems, so on-line shopping makes it so much easier for me. I buy clothing, shoes, make up, hair products, household products, pet products on-line. I like that I can research products, read reviews, and find just about anything I could ever want on-line. I like not having to drive, find parking, walk all over the place. I like having items arrive on my doorstep.

I realize I am being a bit neurotic about this, but I do wonder how this trend for people to shop on-line and to always want to pay the cheapest price for everything is going to affect our society in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM

353 posts, read 906,192 times
No I don't.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
Shopping on-line is something I feel guilty about at times.

In the past few years, I have observed many small shops go out of business where I live.

I feel like my on-line shopping habits are a contributing factor to this.

I hate the idea that in a few more years, there will only be big box stores and shipping warehouses. There won't be any small shops anymore because they can't stay in business. They can never compete against the prices of the big chains and on-line retailers. This makes me sad for some reason.

I have some health problems, so on-line shopping makes it so much easier for me. I buy clothing, shoes, make up, hair products, household products, pet products on-line. I like that I can research products, read reviews, and find just about anything I could ever want on-line. I like not having to drive, find parking, walk all over the place. I like having items arrive on my doorstep.

I realize I am being a bit neurotic about this, but I do wonder how this trend for people to shop on-line and to always want to pay the cheapest price for everything is going to affect our society in the long run.
To a certain extent, yes. Then again, I live in a small town, have no car, and just don't get here what I want. A few weeks ago I ordered the components of my new computer online, some even from abroad. Since I am not wealthy, the price does play a role (paying 300 instead of 200 bucks for the same product is something rich people can afford, but not me), but also the fact that local stores seem to be buying standard crap in large amounts and then they want to sell that to me when I enter their shops. As soon as you want something even remotely out of the ordinary, they have to order it from abroad themselves or they just say, sorry, not available. At least with technology, they should employ someone who knows what people want, not just buy old crap hoping someone will be stupid enough to buy it. After all, this is the age of the Internet, even on a farm you can do market research...

Maybe this development is similar to the switch from small corner supermarkets to shopping centers...

Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 PM

521 posts, read 860,458 times
I feel guilty (maybe stupid is more accurate) when I pay retail on something then notice it online for considerably less money.

The smart local shops have opened their own online inventory to keep up with the .com boom.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
The smart local shops have opened their own online inventory to keep up with the .com boom.
This is a good point.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM

577 posts, read 900,758 times
Remember that not all online vendors are warehouse vendors. A lot are niche vendors or even people working solo out of their home. I buy from both types and have never felt guilty.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
No.

Log splitter I ordered yesterday? Twice as much at the local vendor.

Heavy Metal Goose Loads? "Never heard of them. Well I can special order them, $40/box" (a bit more than twice as much as mail order even counting shipping).

Gore-Tex/Thinsulate Waterfowl Parka? "Nope, but here's one from a company you've never heard of that isn't Gore-Tex or Thinsulate."

Old 09-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Maybe a better question is - do you care about the loss of small businesses/shops in the area you live in?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
Remember that not all online vendors are warehouse vendors. A lot are niche vendors or even people working solo out of their home. I buy from both types and have never felt guilty.
I agree with this. I do enjoy finding products from small businesses on-line and feel good about supporting them.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
Maybe a better question is - do you care about the loss of small businesses/shops in the area you live in?

No, because the ones I do patronize stay in business because the owners actually have a business plan and have cultivated a customer base.

The rest have "hobbyist owners" who cater to tourists and, in many cases, discourage locals from patronizing them. Besides, how many ashtrays with Get Your Crabs In North Beach does an individual need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products