Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 AM

100 posts, read 114,333 times

Advertisements

When I occasionally purchase a canned beverage from a store, something I've never understood is how some cashiers will grab the can at its rim, right where I'm going to put my mouth in order to drink from it. Sure, I can wipe it off with my shirt, but why must I do that? Can't the cashier simply pick the can up, gripping it where my mouth will not be? Even supermarket cashiers will do this -- isn't there a special training school they attend anymore where they're instructed on simple supermarket etiquette, or do they simply not care that they may be spreading their germs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 04:37 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,058 times
Do you have any idea how many other fingers touched the can before it got to the cashier?
If that is your only problem you are in good shape.
The money you handled and gave to the cashier is the dirtiest part of the whole deal. Unless you printed and sterilized it.
How many hands has your money been in before you got it?
It might have even been handled by a drug dealer. You just never know. Or a prostitute. Money goes through many channels.
Maybe you should launder your money before you touch it.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
And you think that can has only been touched by the cashier? As many as half a dozen different hands have probably fondled that thing before you took it out of the cooler or off the shelf. Carry a straw of your own or your own cup - maybe wear rubber gloves, too? Just trying to help you out here. Cheers!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
And not just hands... some warehous areas have a rodent problem.

Who knows... a mouse might have peed on your can!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,113 times
pitt chick you said what i was about to say....mice, rats gross

Old 02-19-2009, 11:56 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
I agree. The cashier's germs are probably the least of the "drinking from a can" worries. I keep a bag of straws in my glove compartment and at home for can drinking. I try to buy bottles instead whenever possible.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Hello? McFly? Hello? Is this thing on?!

If the cashier touches the part where I'm not going to drink from, it's not a problem. Furthermore, even if somebody touched the part I'm going to drink from when they were stalking the cans an hour ago, chances are the bacteria they may have gotten on the can will be dead by then.

Now do we understand? BTW, don't they teach Biology 101 in school these days?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Phingerbyngur View Post
Hello? McFly? Hello? Is this thing on?!

If the cashier touches the part where I'm not going to drink from, it's not a problem. Furthermore, even if somebody touched the part I'm going to drink from when they were stalking the cans an hour ago, chances are the bacteria they may have gotten on the can will be dead by then.

Now do we understand? BTW, don't they teach Biology 101 in school these days?
People purchased cans of soda from vending machines for eons and didn't have problems. Ever take a look at what that chute on the bottom of the vending machine looks like? Lift the door and take a look. I don't see the big deal about the cashier touching the can. Use a straw, or buy it from the fountain or in a bottle and the problem is solved.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:46 PM

Oh I give up. I could waste my time yet again stating that the bacteria dies before being dispensed by the machine, ergo germs are not an issue, but ultimately I'll just end up making a 4th post eventually and still be wasting even more time...

Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 AM

32 posts, read 101,527 times
Some bacteria live for days weeks or months on nonporous surfaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products