Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

SAN FRANCISCO, June 14 (UPI) -- A cooperative supermarket in San Francisco has discovered that a coupon program offering steep discounts is working a bit too well.

The Rainbow Grocery's coupons, printed in local phone books, offer 20 percent off on Wednesdays and Thursdays, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday. On those days, shoppers have to wait for a parking space and then face long lines at checkouts.

Coupon brings in a bit too much business - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
Coupons in phone books always seem to find a way to end up haunting the merchant. Several years ago a car dealership in Portland had a 100 dollar off coupon in the phone book. They forgot to add those famous 4 words "Limit one per customer". Someone went all over town collecting the coupons untill they had enough for a free car.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Coupons in phone books always seem to find a way to end up haunting the merchant. Several years ago a car dealership in Portland had a 100 dollar off coupon in the phone book. They forgot to add those famous 4 words "Limit one per customer". Someone went all over town collecting the coupons untill they had enough for a free car.
probably b/c the phone company (or however orders and delivers this book) has this thing about leaving 4 phones books per resident! I just set up my phone line and DSL last week and received 2 sets of phone books. my neighbor who moved in at the same time told me she got 4 sets! and I suppose if the coupons are really good, people who know about probably go around and steal uncollected phone books. the "limit one per customer" line only keeps people from using all the coupons at once, but in some cases, can drag out the misery since these customers must come in several times to use up the coupons they have

I feel sorry for the businesses that make their own coupon. I swear there's a group of people out there (probably made up of intensely frugal mothers!) that go out of their way to find loopholes w/ coupons. the businesses that make up their own coupons (as opposed to manufacturer's coupons) have to make sure they don't forget anything that will lead to massive abuse, such as the "limit one per customer line". I remember one local coffee shop had to stop honoring their own coupons b/c people were photocopying them (they knew they had only handed out a certain number of them and in the end, according to one employee, they collected nearly 3x more than what they had originally printed!) and office workers were using them to fill massive orders that was holding up the line. now the coupons they hand out are on special paper stock, gives a time range (nothing for the morning rush) and gives a minimum/maximum order amount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products