Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 AM

6 posts, read 6,512 times

Advertisements

I'll going to buy 42" plasma tv on the coming Black Friday. so let me know for any hot deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 05:27 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Boy do I feel stupid. What's "Black Friday"?

Old 09-30-2009, 05:33 AM

7 posts, read 14,109 times
I would recommend watching the various home theater boards in the week leading up to black Friday. Most will be tracking the deals. Try www.avsforum.com. You will find the plasma section under the display devices section.

Any reason as to just looking at plasma? What about LCD's?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving - so called because sales that day push retailers into the "black" for the year. At least in the past ...
The on line equivalent happens the next Monday when folks go back to work and shop on line .

All just sales hype, but some good deals will be out there.

I've been looking at the Panasonic P42X1 plasma ... Best Buy in Raleigh had it for $599 last week which is almost competitive (available on line for $550 or so). Bing and Slickdeals are good places to look.

Plasma HDTVs tend to handle motion better and have deeper blacks than LCD sets.

Frank

Old 09-30-2009, 06:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
There are several websites that publish early peeks at major retailers Black Friday advertising. Just Google it. Too early to start seeing them this year, but around early November they'll start popping up.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,337 times
I don't suppose Apple ever has deals around that time?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:23 AM

7 posts, read 14,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post

Frank

That may have been the case a couple years ago, however, technology has really changed. I would take a look at the newer sets available today.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:54 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark127 View Post
That may have been the case a couple years ago, however, technology has really changed. I would take a look at the newer sets available today.
Very true, I think all types of HD TV's have progressed, and solved a lot of the earlier issues. There is no "one right answer", so it is best to see CURRENT pros and cons of each and base your decision on how you will use it.

FYI to the OP, there are lots of good deals out there. I recently read a thread about this very subject on CD, and ended up getting a Samsung 50" Plasma (didn't even know I needed on) for $849 delivered to my door. The same set is already available for $799.

For me, my requirements did not include the best of the best, so I got a 720dpi with really high ratings, and I'm very satisfied. I read a lot of reviews and this set came out well in many ways.

I guess my point is that you can get a lot of advice, but only YOU know what you really expect or need. There are a lot of great deals out there. FWIW, I got mine from buydig.com, and I'm very happy. I've had good results from Fry's in the past too....

Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 AM

374 posts, read 1,182,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving - so called because sales that day push retailers into the "black" for the year. At least in the past ...
The on line equivalent happens the next Monday when folks go back to work and shop on line .

All just sales hype, but some good deals will be out there.

I've been looking at the Panasonic P42X1 plasma ... Best Buy in Raleigh had it for $599 last week which is almost competitive (available on line for $550 or so). Bing and Slickdeals are good places to look.

Frank
Dell and Amazon had that TV for $480 about a week ago. Unfortunately I waited too long and missed it

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark127 View Post
Still true at comparable price points. LCD sets with LED backlights are comparable in performance but not price.
JMHO

Also - If you sit 8' or so from the set and buy a 42" screen then 720p provides all the resolution your eyes can resolve. So 1080i/p, at that screen size and viewing distance, is effectively wasting money.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products