Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City
 [Register]
Shreveport-Bossier City Bossier Parish, Caddo Parish, De Soto Parish
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 9,213 times

Advertisements

I live in california and just recently accepted a job offer at the regional airport in Shreveport. I need help finding the good areas. I read so many bad things about shreveport but I am sure there are many good things about the area. I will be moving with my fiance and two dogs and I don't know how to go about aquiring a place over there. Should I get a hotel until I can scope out the area for myself? I won't be able to get out there until it is time for me to report to the job. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:40 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
What do you want in a home?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 PM

Something small. Something like a 2 bedroom and hopefully a fenced yard for the dogs. I will need something around $700 a month to start out with until I can get settled and my fiance finds out how many hours she will be working. I'm mainly worried about safety cause there is a goodd chance I will be working graveyard and I want to feel that my fiance is safe at night.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:47 AM

I'm not opposed to living in apartments either but I'm having a hard time finding any that will accept big dogs. The Aspen apartments does in Shreveport. Does anyone knoe anything about them?

Old 12-04-2011, 01:57 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Probably the Aspen is ok for the time being (not the best of areas, but not too bad) They have had a couple units burn down over the last couple years so that may clue you in. I don't hear anything crime wise bad about it though. Walmart isn't too far away.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:08 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,367 times
I got here about 4 months ago and have found it very, very difficult to find houses/apartments that will allow larger dogs. I have a labrador retriever, and most places pretty much hang up the phone as soon as I mention that (Which is totally crazy. Small dogs are much harder to potty train). That or they charge ridiculous fees, which they refer to as a "non-refundable pet deposit" (not really a deposit at all, actually).

I work at the Air Force base, which is clear across town from the airport, but there are two decent apt complexes over here that allow pets. Cypress Pointe and the Villaggio. Both are nice, but you'll be looking at closer to $1000 per month for a two bedroom and the commute would be a little rough.

You can try to find a house to rent (Moderator cut: can only cite realtor.com) but in the $700 range you are going to be living in not-so-great parts of town and still having problems finding someone who will let you bring your dogs.

If you feel confident about the job, you should consider renting for a few months and then looking to buy - that's what we're doing now and there are some good deals out there. Lots of stuff in the $170k - $200k range.

Good luck.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-07-2011 at 09:42 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,144 times
I'd like to add, that the airport is about a 20-30 minute drive from the furthest stretch of anywhere in SHV / Bossier. Traffic is never really heavy here unless some genius decides they want to force their way onto I-20 at rush hour. Your commute time really shouldn't be a consideration as to where you move in the area!

If you've heard bad things about crime, I'd say it's vastly improved in the past few years. The crime rate in Shreveport is at a near 30 year low.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,284 times
It will be hard but not altogether impossible to find a place but you'll have limitations. You could try checking with a realtor who has lease / rental property. FWIW, a lot of people like South Bossier due to relative safety of the neighborhoods, good police presence and ease of getting onto Teague Pkway to I-20 or taking Jimmy Davis Bridge to Bert Kouns Inner Loop or 3132 to W. S'port /airport.
In S. Bossier check out neighborhoods like Southgate, Golden Meadows, Riverbend, BellAire, etc. Area is attractive to military so there may be vacancies due to military transfers, etc.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Shreveport-Bossier City