Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 04:08 AM

48 posts, read 87,517 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm a lifelong Washingtonian, and dying to get out! My husband and I are looking to move in two summers, and it mostly has to do with the fact that A) I want to pursue my education, and B) There isn't much opportunity where we are stuck at now, which is our hometown. Also, we really just want to start fresh somewhere else. We really love Missoula, and I am waiting to see if I get accepted into the University of Montana which is in Missoula. If not, then we need to live somewhere else with a University, and Sioux Falls sounds very tempting. I have been to SD as a kid, but only to the western half to check out all the tourist attractions with my grandparents. I remember S. Dakota being very nice and beautiful! So basically, we want to know how Missoula and SF compare. How similar are they? Is SF a good second choice? We are 22, and will be 24 by the time we move, so there's no telling what our lives will be like then, but for now we are childless (hopefully until we're 30 ), are pretty quiet, and keep to ourselves since all we do is work and go to school. Any advice/insight is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Also, can anyone tell me anything about Vermillion, SD?

If I'm doing this post wrong, I'm sorry, I just joined City Data...I will learn

Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 PM

4,870 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberrain View Post

I can't compare SD with Missoula since I've never been there. I definitely am an authority on Vermillion. I graduated from USD, my wife graduated from USD, my 2 older children got their undergraduate degres there as well as a doctorate and a masters degree respectively. I believe strongly in a USD education.

The college is outstanding. That said, everything depends on what your major is. Obviously, if you're pursuing an engineering degree or something Ag related, you should be considering SD School of Mines or SDSU for the first degree and SDSU entirely for the second.

The TOWN of Vermillion is nothing great. Quite simply, USD IS the town. It's a friendly small town without a great deal of top flight nightlife. Plenty of bars without any one being special. However, if you're a serious student, you won't have much time for that anyway. If you're into college partying, I would look elsewhere. The campus atmosphere nowadays is pretty academic. Many people still have the wrong impression that USD is still the big time party school that Playboy magazine ranked as #1 in the nation back in the 1960's. Those days are long gone.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,411,583 times
Quote:
Hi everyone! I'm a lifelong Washingtonian, and dying to get out! My husband and I are looking to move in two summers, and it mostly has to do with the fact that A) I want to pursue my education, and B) There isn't much opportunity where we are stuck at now, which is our hometown. Also, we really just want to start fresh somewhere else. We really love Missoula, and I am waiting to see if I get accepted into the University of Montana which is in Missoula. If not, then we need to live somewhere else with a University, and Sioux Falls sounds very tempting. I have been to SD as a kid, but only to the western half to check out all the tourist attractions with my grandparents. I remember S. Dakota being very nice and beautiful! So basically, we want to know how Missoula and SF compare. How similar are they? Is SF a good second choice? We are 22, and will be 24 by the time we move, so there's no telling what our lives will be like then, but for now we are childless (hopefully until we're 30 ), are pretty quiet, and keep to ourselves since all we do is work and go to school. Any advice/insight is appreciated!
Quote:

No, don't be sorry! You didn't do anything wrong!

I'm not familiar with Missoula. I just looked it up, and it'd be about the size of Rapid City. I've never been to Montana, but I can guarantee you that Missoula will be more "scenic". Sioux Falls is basically flat with little hilly elevation.

That being said, SF would be a great 2nd choice. Taxes are relaxed compared to other states. SF has anything you would need, and Omaha/Twin Cities is a short jaunt.

Good job on being proactive! I'm 24, and have lived in South Dakota my entire life, but will be moving in 2 months.

Also, I don't think you'll have problems getting accepting into the U of M...

Sioux Falls has Augustana and University of Sioux Falls... Both are private and expensive. SF also has the University Center in the NW part of the city, and it allows one to obtain a degree from the numerous state universities at the one location in SF.

Any other questions, Ask away!!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
What does the each school offer for your education? I would personally like Missoula... I love visiting I doubt I would want to leave though.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
What does the each school offer for your education? I would personally like Missoula... I love visiting I doubt I would want to leave though.
Missoula is just a wonderful, beautiful place to be. We feel so happy when we are there, and want to make it our home. I like that U of M is a quality school, and it has a nice atmosphere (we visited the campus last year), good living arrangements for independent students, and it has a good Communications Studies program, which is what I'm interested in for right now. Plus, just for being a transfer student, I qualify for scholarships.

Anything in South Dakota would be really great because SD participtes in the WUE (western undergraduate exchange), so if I'm a good student, I can receive 150% the tuition rate of an in-state resident, rather than receive the non-resident rate. When the tuition for South Dakota State University is only $2,000 an entire semester for a non-resident, of course I will consider that school. I'm currently paying around $1400 per quarter at a community college. SD isn't too much further away from Montana, but it's literally halfway across the country from Washington so it'd be tough to visit.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post

That being said, SF would be a great 2nd choice. Taxes are relaxed compared to other states. SF has anything you would need, and Omaha/Twin Cities is a short jaunt.

Also, I don't think you'll have problems getting accepting into the U of M...
Thanks! I hope it is a good second choice, I have no idea where else I can get a good education at this price. The main thing we're looking for is a place that offers mostly everything that a city would offer, but isn't congested and hectic 24/7. The hustle-bustle of a city is nice, I really enjoy it, but I wouldn't want to call that place my home. The relaxing, country-ish atmosphere is what we're looking for, but we don't want to be stuck in tiny little, Northwestern corner of the continental United States anymore.

Another thing I really like about SF is that it seems to be really close to state borders. The one thing I hate about where I live is that we are literally trapped up here in our little corner. In SF, Nebraska is a short drive, Iowa is a short drive, Minnesota is a short drive, Missouri is pretty close too....we really like road trips, and even though those are "boring" states, we still want to see them, and would never be able to if living in Washington!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I can't compare SD with Missoula since I've never been there. I definitely am an authority on Vermillion. I graduated from USD, my wife graduated from USD, my 2 older children got their undergraduate degres there as well as a doctorate and a masters degree respectively. I believe strongly in a USD education.

The college is outstanding. That said, everything depends on what your major is. Obviously, if you're pursuing an engineering degree or something Ag related, you should be considering SD School of Mines or SDSU for the first degree and SDSU entirely for the second.

The TOWN of Vermillion is nothing great. Quite simply, USD IS the town. It's a friendly small town without a great deal of top flight nightlife. Plenty of bars without any one being special. However, if you're a serious student, you won't have much time for that anyway. If you're into college partying, I would look elsewhere. The campus atmosphere nowadays is pretty academic. Many people still have the wrong impression that USD is still the big time party school that Playboy magazine ranked as #1 in the nation back in the 1960's. Those days are long gone.
Wow, thank you! Indeed, it sounds like USD is definitely a great school! I'm leaning toward the whole Communication Studies/Journalism/English thing as for my degree. When you say that it's small, just how small is it? Where I'm at right now has about 5-7,000 and my hometown has around 19,000 I believe. If Vermillion doesn't have much to offer aside from the school, then I assume that most of the people who live there spend a lot of time going to Sioux Falls? An hour or so is nothing to me, since the closest mall is an hour and a half away from where I'm at.

I'm definitely not a partier, in fact, I never really drink much anyway. I see myself as more of a serious student, and my husband and I aren't very extravagant people so I wouldn't want to be at a school with that kind of reputation. That's really funny that Playboy mag. ranked it the #1 party school though! You learn something new every day, huh?!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM

4,870 posts, read 6,935,343 times
Quote:
Wow, thank you! Indeed, it sounds like USD is definitely a great school! I'm leaning toward the whole Communication Studies/Journalism/English thing as for my degree. When you say that it's small, just how small is it? Where I'm at right now has about 5-7,000 and my hometown has around 19,000 I believe. If Vermillion doesn't have much to offer aside from the school, then I assume that most of the people who live there spend a lot of time going to Sioux Falls? An hour or so is nothing to me, since the closest mall is an hour and a half away from where I'm at.

I'm definitely not a partier, in fact, I never really drink much anyway. I see myself as more of a serious student, and my husband and I aren't very extravagant people so I wouldn't want to be at a school with that kind of reputation. That's really funny that Playboy mag. ranked it the #1 party school though! You learn something new every day, huh?!
The enrollment at USD is approx. 9,000 students. The town's population is just over 10,000. This of course includes students that live off campus. There is plenty of places to go within an hours drive for shopping etc. Sioux Falls (pop. 150,000+) is less than an hour drive north. Sioux City (pop. 85,000+) is a little over 1/2 hour drive south and Yankton (pop. 15,000+) is less than 1/2 hour drive to the west. Also, it's only about 125 miles south down I-29 to Omaha which is a much larger city of (I'm guessing here) around 400,000 population.

USD has a strong Communications department. I'd check it out.

USD has recently built a large on campus apartment complex. These are not dorm rooms, but actual apartments. I'm sure they're filled for this coming school year, but you can get on the list for next year.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
My brother went to school at WSU in Pullman. It was an 18 hour drive for him to come visit or visa versa.

Tuition is an important factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls