Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 AM

55 posts, read 178,274 times

Advertisements

Are interracial couples well accepted in Sioux Falls? And which areas of Sioux Falls do you think are the most diverse? We would be interested in considering an established, middle class neighborhood that is somewhat diverse.

We are a couple in our low 30's and have a young child who will be starting school in a year. I grew up in the midwest and left about 12 years ago. I've been living on the East Coast where I met my fiancee who is accustomed to city life with a lot of diversity.

We visited Sioux Falls recently and thought about moving there so we could be closer to my family. Pros? Cons? Our biggest concern is the diveristy (or lack of). We both love the outdoors, but love city conveniences. It's one thing to visit and another thing to live somewhere. Our visit went well and the city looks nice. But how would we fit in on a day to day basis?

Thanks for any help and guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 PM

146 posts, read 358,591 times
I have no kids and both me and my partner are young middle class white people, but I don't think you'll have much trouble fitting in. It's true there's not much diversity here but it's (slowly) growing day by day. I see plenty of mixed-race kids walking to school in the morning so I don't think you have to worry about that either.

You'll probably want to look at the neighborhoods around downtown or possibly the next "ring" of neighborhoods surrounding those around downtown. It's as close to a "big city" feel as you'll find in South Dakota but don't expect anything like the east coast. Also look at the established neighborhoods surrounding elementary and middle schools.

People are friendly in general. you might come across a curmudgeon or two that detests diversity and wants to live in a bubble of middle class white folks but I don't think you'll experience it often. Like I said, I'm in the majority so I'm unlikely to experience any racism but I've never seen or heard any racism towards a non-white person while out and about.

Pros: Cheap taxes, cheap cost of living, cheap housing, nice people, safe, good schools
Cons: Low pay, not a lot of entertainment or culture, no big cities within four hours of driving, sorta insulated from the rest of the world, which is a "pro" to some people, need a car to get anywhere, lots of 'conservative' people stuck in their ways and aren't open to change.

Let us know if you have any other questions about the city. I'd probably suggest another visit where you drive around neighborhoods or check out schools, shopping, entertainment to see if you could see yourself here. It's not for everyone but people here generally like it. GOod luck!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Other than arabs, any other race should not have a problem. Of course a lot of it has to do with how one dresses and acts. Act obnoxious in public and you will be treated differently then if you act civil. I throw that out there because blacks in some cities tend to be loud and obnoxious in places like movie theaters from personal experience. There's such a thing as respecting other people's right to enjoyment in life and not making oneself the center of the world in a rude manner.

Of course all races have people guilty of this. I don't give other skin colors a second thought, if they are generally dressed and act like americans. If they are from overseas with a strong accent, dressing in a manner normal to their overseas culture, they will draw attention to themselves regardless of what country they are from. Not necessarily negative attention, just attention. Unless they are arabs dressed with arab attire. Then they will get a decidedly negative response from the general population.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Most folks won't even notice. But like anywhere, you'll get that occasional "look". 9 times out of 10 it's out of curiosity, not out of disrespect.

In most cases, people in Sioux Falls are looking for a good neighbor and could give shrug as to their color.

I lived in Sioux Falls in 1972 and my landlords were a interracial couple. I lived in their basement. Saw them everyday out visiting with the neighbors out in the yards. He would be mowing and a guy from across the street would come over with a couple of beers and he'd stop and have a beer with him. This was in a older, very quiet neighborhood where most couples were retired or close to it and this couple was in their early 40's. I just didn't see any problems.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-17-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 PM

193 posts, read 677,853 times
"Other than arabs"...

What? What's up with this? I know plenty of Arabian people that live in Sioux Falls with no problem, so ???

Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 AM

21 posts, read 96,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raean View Post
"Other than arabs"...

What? What's up with this? I know plenty of Arabian people that live in Sioux Falls with no problem, so ???
I concur with that.
There is no problems with people of Arabic decent in Sioux Falls, i have no clue what the original poster is talking about, pretty much ludicrous to think that people single out Arab people at all.

Second the city is very accepting to bi-racial couples and biracial children, you won't have any problems what so ever here.
I'm Caucasian and my Girlfriend is Native American and we have not had any problems in Sioux Falls what so ever.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 14,106 times
[quote=stockwiz;22133904]Other than arabs, any other race should not have a problem. quote]

I hope you can clarify what this means?????

I'm Arab I lived for about a year in SF with no problems. My kids loved their school and people were always very respectful and overall nice. people would take the time to Comment on my kids beautiful curles or to complement my scarf (I wear the muslim Hijab)
You should not have a problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
View detailed profiles of: