Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 10:15 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,691,424 times

Advertisements

I've been here since 7-8 Friday and so far my experience has been good for the most part. The Empire Mall was very good, on Friday we ate at Shenanigans (which my sister will now say at random and funny times) which was great experience, they had a great lemonade I might add. Our "hotel" (Motel 6) is........ well its crap, and we're being charged 89.99 for it. Some very interesting people stay here, thank fully there are some nice bikers out front who will probably scare anyone with bad intentions. Last night there was a fight at 2 AM and the police came (my family was asleep) Definitely wish we could stay somewhere better. (Anyone wanna open there home for 50 people? Lol) Today, we had our games were at Yankton Park which was pretty nice, but it was HOT! We drove around town a little, went downtown, which looked nice. We then ate at Joey's Seafood and Grill for dinner which was very good. After a Little more shopping at Empire Mall, we returned to our "hotel" where we had to pay 2.99 for 24 hours of internet service. (nice place eh?)

Anyway, I just want to ask a few things, whats Western Mall like? And where is the Sanford's Childrens Hospital? (The castle) Also what is the system with Sioux Falls' numbered streets? They seem to be incredibly random, (12th, 26th, and 41st?) I think our "hotel" is on 26th maybe, I don't exactly know.

I can't wait to experience more of Sioux Falls tomorrow, Monday, and possibly onwards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 15,891 times
You must be in town for the soccer tournament. The Western Mall is on 41st St and Western Ave. The Western Mall is more of a large strip mall. It has Best Buy, Scheels, Champps, Huhot, the cheap movie theater, and a few others.

Not sure how the streets were named most of the major streets are on the section lines although not a constant interval. (85th, 69th, 41st, 26th, 12th-10th).

Sorry the hotel sucks, but you really can't expect much out of a Motel 6. How is the tournament going? Do they have enough parking at Yankton Trails?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:27 AM

Yeah there is plenty of parking and the tournament is going very well, thanks!

The tournament could be postponed due to the rain todya so we could have a whole day to spend around town!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:51 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
They had a news story about the tournament last night. I know Sx. Falls has better motels, but it sounded like the whole town was pretty well booked right now so you're probably out of luck.

Will they possibly have a few games this afternoon? The rain is supposed to stop soon. Hopefully anyway.

Enjoy your day!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 AM

Yeah the games are still going even through the rain, and our game is at 4

Old 06-21-2009, 11:00 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
You're lucky that you got motel rooms in Sioux Falls. There are 12,000 soccer players and families in SF. Many fans were forced to get motel rooms in Sioux City, approx. 90 miles away.

A little secret to navigating Sioux Falls. To find the cross road of any address that is listed as South something, add 8 to the digit in the 100's column.

Example: Address of 1725 S. Western Avenue. Just add 8 to the seven of 1725 (8 + 17 = 25) and this property will intersect between 25th street and 26th street.

Example #2: Address of 620 S. Louise Avenue. Add 8 to the six of 620 (8 + 6 = 14) and this property will intersect between 14th and 15th street.

Old delivery man, taxi driver secret.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:23 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I've been here since 7-8 Friday and so far my experience has been good for the most part. The Empire Mall was very good, on Friday we ate at Shenanigans (which my sister will now say at random and funny times) which was great experience, they had a great lemonade I might add. Our "hotel" (Motel 6) is........ well its crap, and we're being charged 89.99 for it. Some very interesting people stay here, thank fully there are some nice bikers out front who will probably scare anyone with bad intentions. Last night there was a fight at 2 AM and the police came (my family was asleep) Definitely wish we could stay somewhere better. (Anyone wanna open there home for 50 people? Lol) Today, we had our games were at Yankton Park which was pretty nice, but it was HOT! We drove around town a little, went downtown, which looked nice. We then ate at Joey's Seafood and Grill for dinner which was very good. After a Little more shopping at Empire Mall, we returned to our "hotel" where we had to pay 2.99 for 24 hours of internet service. (nice place eh?)

Anyway, I just want to ask a few things, whats Western Mall like? And where is the Sanford's Childrens Hospital? (The castle) Also what is the system with Sioux Falls' numbered streets? They seem to be incredibly random, (12th, 26th, and 41st?) I think our "hotel" is on 26th maybe, I don't exactly know.

I can't wait to experience more of Sioux Falls tomorrow, Monday, and possibly onwards!
Motel 6 here is crap... I could've recommended better ones, but I'm sure the hotels book up quick with the tournament.
Western Mall isn't anything special... It's basically a Best Buy, Scheel's, and several smaller stores.

The Sanford's Childrens Hospital is on 22nd Street. From your hotel, go east on Russell (the street your hotel is on) to Kiwanis Ave and south to 22nd, and head east on 22nd... it will be on the north side.

Sioux Falls has a difficult/confusing street system (compared to Omaha), since the center of the city is 9th & Phillips.
Russell Street, Minnesota Ave, 41st, 26th, 12th/11th/10th (forms a one way loop in downtown, its Highway 42... 10th turns into Arrowhead Parkway east of Sycamore), 57th, Sycamore, Cliff Ave, Western Ave are all streets with businesses/services you'll need.

I'll DM you my cell phone number, and feel free to text me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls