Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 07:39 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain why the Carabao Cup even exists? The top EPL teams field their backup players who are plenty good enough to beat any other team in the UK. Sure, it's some playing minutes for a Minamino or a Origi or an Adrian but I'm not going to spend money to get ESPN+ to watch backup players. West Ham beat Man City's backups. Why should I care? It's 7 EPL teams left plus Sunderland who got there by beating three non-EPL teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 08:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,572,726 times
its always been the poor cousin to the FA Cup which steeped in tradition and glory, every kids dream is to score the winning goal in the FA Cup final

prior to sponsorship was simply referred to as the League Cup so probably run by the EFL as opposed to the FA

Old 10-28-2021, 08:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
its always been the poor cousin to the FA Cup which steeped in tradition and glory, every kids dream is to score the winning goal in the FA Cup final

prior to sponsorship was simply referred to as the League Cup so probably run by the EFL as opposed to the FA

Still doesn't answer my question. Why does it even exist? It's just a competition between EPL backup players you pretty much never see on the weekend. As you expect, the big payroll teams with strong backup players are all that's left in the quarterfinals. As a Liverpool fan, it's like watching them play a friendly in August at Fenway Park where none of the starting XI even travel.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:38 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Can someone explain why the Carabao Cup even exists? The top EPL teams field their backup players who are plenty good enough to beat any other team in the UK. Sure, it's some playing minutes for a Minamino or a Origi or an Adrian but I'm not going to spend money to get ESPN+ to watch backup players. West Ham beat Man City's backups. Why should I care? It's 7 EPL teams left plus Sunderland who got there by beating three non-EPL teams.
Its popular in the UK, Stamford Bridge, the Emirates, The London Stadium all full to bursting for their games this week, the ticketing is 'different' for these games, they're not so season ticket centric, they are also often reduced in price (Premier League tickets are notoriously expensive) which means that fathers can afford to take their kids, the 'demographic' for these games is different, ultimately English football has to cater for English fans to some degree or else the local support won't gain an affinity with its local club and this competition gives a 'link' between the clubs and the local fans (particularly kids) that has been severed somewhat since the Premier League became probably more global than its ever been.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:37 AM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its popular in the UK, Stamford Bridge, the Emirates, The London Stadium all full to bursting for their games this week, the ticketing is 'different' for these games, they're not so season ticket centric, they are also often reduced in price (Premier League tickets are notoriously expensive) which means that fathers can afford to take their kids, the 'demographic' for these games is different, ultimately English football has to cater for English fans to some degree or else the local support won't gain an affinity with its local club and this competition gives a 'link' between the clubs and the local fans (particularly kids) that has been severed somewhat since the Premier League became probably more global than its ever been.
Great explanation, thanks.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 1,572,726 times
Quote:
i did not know that but i am glad it is so, i really dislike the wedge that has been driven between the game and working class fans by the EPL and its higher costs

if i were living back in the UK i highly doubt i could afford to follow an EPL Team and would be more than happy with a local championship, league one or two side

Old 10-29-2021, 06:39 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,157,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why does professional football exist? To me, it all has something to do with the word "professional" or in other terms "making money". To me it is clear that football teams and leagues need to sell tickets and airtime. So at the end of the day, its really just that simple. Surrounding the 38 match Premier League season, with breaks planned in for international games, there simply needs to be other tournaments set up to generate revenue. In England, the FA cup is the oldest and the most "open" which has resulted in some incredible matchups with teams of millionaires playing teams of part time players who work Mon - Fri in regular jobs. When these David v Goliath matches happen, the whole country gets really into it and it is fun to watch. Its even better when the David team is the host, having a monster corporate team like Liverpool or Tottenham travel to a small neighborhood park pitch with no stadium at all to play, its really exciting. EPL developed to compete with other european tournaments giving teams in other league more chances to play and get their players touches. As amazing as it sounds, "touches" is what football from a player training and development standpoint, are all about. From youth football to the peak of professional leagues, touches in game situations are everything. This league developed to make money while getting players more touches.

Historically, this was the first tournament in England to play under the lights. It allowed for midweek games, something the owners wanted badly. This was happening in the USA in the two baseball leagues as well. I also feel that it is generally better football as its only the top 4 leagues (it used to be the top 3) instead of the openness of the FA cup, but it loses the drama of the very small club against a powerhouse. It also gives another chance for clubs to qualify for Europa and now Conference leagues. These are real moneymakers, so the clubs need to play in these tournaments to make a profit. It also has allowed exactly what you seem to be complaining about, it gives teams a chance to develop players against good competition. With the must win nature of each of the 38 Premier matches, and the huge pressure on the champions league wins, the chance to develop young players for big clubs without loans is often difficult. This tournament allows teams a chance to do so.

Why should you care? I guess it depends on the level of fandom or club supporting you enjoy. To me, you should care because its freaking football! I want to see every single game I can see. I want to watch my preferred club, the Spurs, ever chance I get. I want to see if Dane Scarlett really is the next hope for Tottenham and if Gollini is the next keeper for Spurs after Hugo goes. I want to see if Gil is worth all the praise he received in La Liga and for his play for Spain. So many fans love it because they can enjoy seeing those young players. Its a short tournament for the big clubs, but its a chance for more football, so I want to watch all of it.

Also, if you are buying ESPN+ just to watch the Carabao cup, I get it, that seems like a bad idea. But if you are buying it just for this, you are missing out on the incredible chances ESPN+ gives to watch La Liga, Bundesliga, League One and much much more. ESPN+ by itself is a steal, but bundling it with Hulu is just a no brainer. ESPN+ is made for football fans. I buy Paramount+ and ESPN+ and watch as much football as I can.

So I get it, this is not a tournament for a casual supporter who views it only as watching backups play. For followers of a specific club, or lovers of the game, its much more than that. But the beauty of mid-week games like these is that you simply do not have to watch or buy ESPN+ at all. It exists because its a way for teams to make money, for fans to enjoy watching midweek soccer, for clubs to develop young and less experienced players, and for players in smaller clubs to get seen against better clubs and develop up the system as well. With the obligation of clubs to have a specific number of english players on the roster, this gives premier league clubs and their supporters a chance to watch young players (and they are not really back-ups, they are mostly either developing players, or players who have fallen from their top form and need touches to see if they can regain that form). That is one of the best parts of this tournament.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:41 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,157,786 times
Quote:
WOW. This is simply an amazing explanation! Thank you for this. I never though of it from this perspective.

Old 10-29-2021, 06:45 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i did not know that but i am glad it is so, i really dislike the wedge that has been driven between the game and working class fans by the EPL and its higher costs

if i were living back in the UK i highly doubt i could afford to follow an EPL Team and would be more than happy with a local championship, league one or two side
As somebody that now finds it hard to get (let alone afford) a ticket, somebody that used to 'frequent' Stamford Bridge far more in the 80's (was only a child) with my father (when the club was going through a sticky patch) I concur!

Old 10-29-2021, 06:29 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
As somebody that now finds it hard to get (let alone afford) a ticket, somebody that used to 'frequent' Stamford Bridge far more in the 80's (was only a child) with my father (when the club was going through a sticky patch) I concur!
At some point, Chelsea will have to consider moving into larger facilities if they don't the majority of their fanbase priced out permanently. Tottenham, Arsenal & West Ham have done it already. It's a trade-off of losing intimacy & history vs. not being able to see your club play at all without taking out a loan to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer