Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:28 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,466,495 times

Advertisements

I don't follow Clemson's schedule that closely . . . I'm a Gamecock fan but, apparently, that game ended with an L just like 6 out of the 12 games Clemson played so finish one notch about Wake Forest. I didn't see Clemson in the ACC championship -- I think it was Virginia Tech and Florida State.

Good luck next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:39 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,883,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I don't follow Clemson's schedule that closely . . . I'm a Gamecock fan but, apparently, that game ended with an L just like 6 out of the 12 games Clemson played so finish one notch about Wake Forest. I didn't see Clemson in the ACC championship -- I think it was Virginia Tech and Florida State.

Good luck next year.
LynchburgLover, with all due respect, this thread is not about Clemson. This thread is about USC vs Auburn and why USC lost so miserably, 56 to 17. Thoughts on that?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 AM

I said -- maybe it was in another thread -- Auburn played an awesome game; they deserve nothing but credit. The first half, we held our own. Obviously, there was a serious meltdown in the second half.

Seems like your first statement --"There was so much joy when the Gamecocks beat Clemson" --kind of brought Clemson into the thread.

Best of luck to South Carolina in the Chik-fil-A Bowl (and to Clemson in the Meineke Bowl!)

Old 12-06-2010, 04:29 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,620,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Ummm....Clemson played Auburn earlier this season and almost beat them. In fact, the game went into overtime. USC got their bell rung plain and simple.
Plain and simple, if you are comparing a game earlier this year with one played this weekend, it is a stretch. Carolina also played Auburn until the last plays of the game in the early part of the season. Only losing after 4 4th quarter turnovers. Clemson played a great game at Auburn, not sure where their season went off the tracks.

Carolina did not play well enough to win and Auburn is a great football team. Auburn beat a lot of people this year, even coming from deficits as large as 24-0 to win. Give credit where it it due, they are good.

As for UT, UGA & UF in 2011, who knows. Those teams were down this year but, on the field where it counts, Carolina won. Would you discredit Va Tech from winning the ACC based on the fact that it is a weak conference, ranked as low as 7th? Carolina's team will be back in 2011 largely as it currently is. And, the team should be deeper than this year.

Why are you and GSUPSTATE trying to diminish Carolina's success? You sound like NewYorkBorn talking about Greenville. If you don't like Carolina, get over it, they won the SEC East and some other championships this year. 2010 has been a good year.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:27 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,883,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The first half, we held our own. Obviously, there was a serious meltdown in the second half.
Those kind of meltdowns, unfortunately, are a hallmark of Garcia. He doesn't seem very consistent (nor does the team as a whole). With an ending score of 56 to 17, it was a large meltdown. Hope there are no meltdowns in the Chick-Fil-A bowl, though it really doesn't matter.....not a major bowl.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,620,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Those kind of meltdowns, unfortunately, are a hallmark of Garcia. He doesn't seem very consistent (nor does the team as a whole). With an ending score of 56 to 17, it was a large meltdown. Hope there are no meltdowns in the Chick-Fil-A bowl, though it really doesn't matter.....not a major bowl.
What are the major bowls outside of the BCS? How would you rank them? Any ideas? And, I am not sure how Garcia had a meltdown, was he defending the pass at the end of the first half? Was he not blocking for Marcus? Was he not able to put pressure on Newton? Carolina lost the game at the line, we simply were not able to run against Auburn as effectively as we were against Florida, Georgia or Alabama. Nor were we able to defend the run. But, you are right, the team was a little inconsistent this year, that happens with a young team.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,776,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
This thread is about USC vs Auburn and why USC lost so miserably, 56 to 17. Thoughts on that?
thoughts on why we lost to the #1 ranked team in the nation, who is headed to the national championship game, with the leading heisman trophy candidate at quarterback?

because we play in the SEC. it is a tough conference, with a lot of BCS championships under its belt, and everybody is going to lose games from time to time. i believe that we keyed too hard on the run, when it is our pass defense that was suspect. then we also didn't have a very good game on offense, and you need to have a perfect game to beat a team like Auburn. I also think the announcer hit the nail on the head when he said that Steve Spurrier was not being patient. In hindsight we should have put the ball on the ground more often in the first quarter.

Quote:
Hope there are no meltdowns in the Chick-Fil-A bowl, though it really doesn't matter.....not a major bowl.
right, it's no Meineke Car Care Bowl, but it should be a good time against Florida State on New Years Eve.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,409,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
...Clemson played a great game at Auburn, not sure where their season went off the tracks.
Not to diminish the obvious impact of recent coaching changes and subsequent seasons of comparatively poor recruiting, but I can think of three factors that made significant contributions to the outcome of this season. First, the injury to Kyle Parker in the Auburn game. He never played at the same level afterward. Second, the total collapse of any consistency in place kicking. It was so bad that they lost multiple games as a direct result. Third, and possibly most important, they lost their #1 offensive weapon when RB Andre Ellington suffered a serious injury against BC on October 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
As for UT, UGA & UF in 2011, who knows. Those teams were down this year...
You can add Clemson to that list.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
thoughts on why we lost to the #1 ranked team in the nation, who is headed to the national championship game, with the leading heisman trophy candidate at quarterback?

because we play in the SEC. it is a tough conference, with a lot of BCS championships under its belt, and everybody is going to lose games from time to time. i believe that we keyed too hard on the run, when it is our pass defense that was suspect. then we also didn't have a very good game on offense, and you need to have a perfect game to beat a team like Auburn. I also think the announcer hit the nail on the head when he said that Steve Spurrier was not being patient. In hindsight we should have put the ball on the ground more often in the first quarter.

right, it's no Meineke Car Care Bowl, but it should be a good time against Florida State on New Years Eve.
Is there a list somewhere of the Bowl games from "highest" to "lowest"?
The Chik-fil-A Bowl is on ESPN at 7:30 p.m.. Are the old networks (CBS, ABC, NBC) seen as more prestigious? Meinecke is also on ESPN at 12 noon on the 31st. Does time/network make a difference? or is the more desirable determined by $$?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:52 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,409,228 times
I've been under the impression that the Chick-fil-a bowl is considered to be the most prominent bowl game outside the BCS. I recall the same year Clemson crushed South Carolina 63-17 in Columbia, they (the Tigers) went on to defeat #6 Tennessee in the Chick-fil-a Peach bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina