Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times

Advertisements

After the 26 to 17 loss by South Carolina to number 23 Florida State in the Chick-Fil-A bowl, will South Carolina finish the year not even ranked in the top 25??

Sadly, this loss on the heels of the SEC loss to Auburn, makes the South Carolina year seem very average and gives more credibility to the growing belief that South Carolina stumbled (fell) into the SEC championship game not due to their ability to play well, but due to the fact that other SEC East teams were really off this year.

Next year should be interesting to see if South Carolina rises to the challenge and performs as a really solid team, or if they just continue to stumble along the road of mediocrity.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,450,197 times
I think it was a wonderfully fun year for Gamecock football (and baseball). Auburn . . . obviously, outplays just about everyone; we'll see how Oregon holds up.

FSU clearly has worked very, very hard on interceptions and sacks -- I think they were #1 in sacks for all the teams -- and the Gamecocks weren't prepared for it. Lattimore's loss also obviously deflated any momentum and uplifted the Seminoles.

Regarding the other SEC teams being "off". Florida handled Penn State pretty well. Alabama "dismantled" Michigan State per ESPN. Georgia and Tennessee . . . I'll agree they were off this year. But every couple year someone has to be off their game so it was easy to beat them but not Florida & Alabama.

Just like Clemson, the bowl games turned out better for the Florida teams.

Best of luck next year for both Clemson and South Carolina (at least until the Palmetto Bowl ) .

I, for one am exited about next year's possibilities. Lattimore will have more experience, Alshon Jeffrey (and his brother coming on board),Stephen Gilmore, Garcia continuing to mature and Connor Shaw in the wings . . . could be another fun year. Go Gamecocks

Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
After the 26 to 17 loss by South Carolina to number 23 Florida State in the Chick-Fil-A bowl, will South Carolina finish the year not even ranked in the top 25??

Sadly, this loss on the heels of the SEC loss to Auburn, makes the South Carolina year seem very average and gives more credibility to the growing belief that South Carolina stumbled (fell) into the SEC championship game not due to their ability to play well, but due to the fact that other SEC East teams were really off this year.

Next year should be interesting to see if South Carolina rises to the challenge and performs as a really solid team, or if they just continue to stumble along the road of mediocrity.

Thoughts?
First, why do you create threads about Carolina when you have no ties to the school or are even from SC? Anyone who has read more than a few of your threads/posts can see that you will write anyting to bash Carolina or Columbia, even, sadly, using a tragic death to try and diminsh a Caroina win over Alabama. Interesting use of time......

That being said, Carolina had a good year and beat a lot of good teams. But, noone stumbles into a SEC title game after playing an 8 game conference schedule, remember, you have to play well enough to win in the 8 games. Did Alabama stumble into the title last year because McCoy was hurt early and Texas had to go with an inexperienced QB?

As for next year, Carolina returns a lot of talent as well as a solid group of redshirts and new players. It should be fun to watch.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern by grace of god View Post
Garcia is only a junior if im right? But I am ready for a new Qb... one less erratic. He is way to inconsistent to be on this team that has so much talent. Also, we are most likely getting Jadeveon Clowney out of Rock Hill!!! #1 Recruit in the nation!
Agreed. I haven't understood why USC continues to stand behind Garcia. He is extremely inconsistent. Connor Shaw looks to have a bright future.....seems he should have received more play time this year.

Had Garcia not messed up (interceptions), USC would probably have beat Florida State.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:57 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
I think Lattimore was a bigger factor than Garcia in the success and then the bowl loss. USC won the games it had to win. Aside from the UK game- USC pretty much overachieved. They also set themselves up very well for recruiting in SC and with anyone with 5-6 hours of Columbia when you campare their season with Clemson, UGA, even the North Carolina Schools. To me the real impact of this season occurs 2-3 years down the road with the freshman and recruits who were swayed by this season. And as a Clemson fan that pains me.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
No one close to USC predicted anything like as good a season as the Gamecocks ended up having, including the beat down of Alabama.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
No one close to USC predicted anything like as good a season as the Gamecocks ended up having
I guess our definition of good is different. Loss of the SEC championship by a large score / loss of the bowl game to a non SEC school / will end the season not even ranked in the top 25. If these things are what is considered "a good season" then the USC football program definitely has a long way to go. I thought Spurrier would set the bar higher. Guess not.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I guess our definition of good is different. Loss of the SEC championship by a large score / loss of the bowl game to a non SEC school / will end the season not even ranked in the top 25. If these things are what is considered "a good season" then the USC football program definitely has a long way to go. I thought Spurrier would set the bar higher. Guess not.

Just curious -- who's your favorite team, gsupstate?

Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,613,328 times
Quote:
9 wins is a good season, not a great season but, good.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM

9 wins was enough to secure the SEC-East Championship -- close enough to great in my book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina