Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 21,658 times

Advertisements

My husband works for a LARGE company in TN and he has a job opportunity in Gaffney, SC. What can you tell me about Gaffney? Is it a nice place to live? We live in Memphis now and want to escape for many reasons, the biggest one is the HIGH crime rate.

We have a small child that is one. Is it a good place to raise a family? Is there much to do with kids like the zoo, children's museum, ect?

I am a city girl and want to be able to shop at Target and have shopping nearby. Where do people shop that live in Gaffney?

Anything you can tell me would be great.

Last edited by want2relocate; 09-02-2006 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: wrong city listed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2006, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,118 times
I am originally from Gaffney, SC, and my family still lives there. It does not have a Target. There is one in Spartanburg, about 30 min. away. The main shopping there is Wal-Mart and the outlet mall. I am assuming the crime rate is much better. It is a small town and any crime other than drugs is a big deal. It will be a big change for you. Maybe you would like it, but I doubt it. I also do not think they have good schools. Maybe you could live in Spartanburg and your husband could drive to Gaffney for work. It isn't very far. I do think you would like Spartanburg. I am sorry if I am being negative about Gaffney, I just wanted to give you fair warning.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:13 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Were in Fort Mill looking. Good area?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 12,670 times
I wouldn't move to Gaffney. I live in Inman which is about 30 mins. from Gaffney and the school districts to look into would be distrcits 1 and 2. They have your typical walmart and lowes and a quick 10 min. drive up I-26 will get you to Target and the mall. I'm from NJ and have lived here for 8 months and would never move back. Property taxes are lower in Spartanburg county and the schools are pretty good.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:44 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
I like Gaffney its a small hometown.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:45 AM

8 posts, read 33,446 times
Pros: Small town, easy access to country roads, home prices are low and there is still the ability to have land.

Cons: Small town, With the ability to have land, comes the ability to build a nice house and have a mobile home put up right beside you unless you get in the right area. The schools are okay, I suppose the fact that Greenville-Spartanburg are bigger, the have more money to put into education. Everyone knows everyone and what that person is doing, Gossip runs rampent. Large difference in demographics, not validated, just from observation. The job market is skewed to blue collar work, nothing wrong with that, but better jobs are for commuter that go to other cities. Not a lot for kids to do here. That is a large argument among everyone that lives here.

Hope this kind of sorta helps. I have lived here for 32 years, and looking to move to another area within the next three years, more than likely Greenville.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
The only two things I know about Gaffney is they are all about high school football (lol) and there is a small college there, Limestone College.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 33,446 times
This is true, if you do not like High School football almost to the point of being fanatical, then you will find conversations with most locals kind stale...On the other hand, the restaurants are easier to get into, since everyone is at the game.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Do NOT move to Gaffney without visiting first. I lived near there and used to shop at the outlets sometimes and eat at the Cracker Barrel. It used to be a nice small country town, but the mill jobs that used to support the town are gone overseas, like a lot of other small southern towns, and some of the neighborhoods are kind of in "decay" now and a little dicey crime wise. You may see great prices on what look like cute, charming older homes, but there is a reason they are so cheap. Just make sure you go in person before making a decision to move there. There are your chain restaurants there like Applebees, etc, and a Super Walmart. Not a whole lot more, and not a lot of jobs. You would most likely have to commute to Spartanburg on I-85 every day for employment. I wish I could be more positive about it, I have family there and in nearby Blacksburg, but I'm sure you want an honest opinion - I would.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Gaffney is a large area, in the down town area it's a little rough but the area 29341 is newer homes and very nice. The mill jobs moving have put a damper on employment. But jobs have been moving to the area from Fla, Cal, and other large areas. Like most small towns its changing. I would check the area out first. It has some very nice areas and some lower income areas. I-85 runs right through the city on the west and has a mall and alot of restaurants. An airport is in the works and with the rail, roads, workforce and existing infrastructure it has caught the eye of alot of CEO's. It caught mine and right now there is some new construction and development. If your looking for the big city it won't be for you. But Charlotte is just to the north and Greenville-Spartanburg to the south. For shipping its in a great location.

Last edited by firemed; 11-09-2007 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina