Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 01:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,102 times

Advertisements

My wife and her family are from the Texas/Louisiana/Arkansas area...
My family left South Carolina and Georgia a generation ago...

We currently live in out West, and are miserable... It doesn't matter why, we just don't belong out here...

We know where my wife is from quite well, but I have my sights on a state with a real coast...

It's going to take a while to get our "ducks in a row", but I'm here with a pretty simple question:

"If you wanted to convince someone just how great it is to live in South Carolina, where and when would you visit?"

...oh, post script, my wife and her parents have been to Charleston many times and love it. I would like to include other areas as well in our upcoming vacations to get a flavor for your lovely state.

PS2: we are both in the medical field (so we have to settle in a moderate to large city: Charleston, Columbia, Dutch Fork, Greenville, Mount Pleasant, or a commutable suburb of these cites), with two daughters, and hopefully more (although, my daughters are young, and my wife likely will disagree with the "more" part, at least for now...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
Most of what you say/want points toward Charleston. Depending on how long a visit, I would say spend 60% of your time in the Charleston area then 20% each in Columbia then Greenville. This will give you a good enough feel to be able to later zero in more closely on a specific area.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:17 AM

800 posts, read 1,464,399 times
Being from the Upstate SC area, I'd say make a visit to Greenville in mid-late October, and explore the area for a couple of days (maybe make the drive up to Table Rock or Caesars Head). The fall foliage rivals anything you'd see in New England, probably not what someone would expect of SC. And the weather that time of year is just about perfect.

Then, I'd take the drive down to Columbia, have lunch in or around Five Points or the Vista and take a walk around the USC Horseshoe.

Then I'd head to Charleston for a couple of days.

That oughta do it.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,971,298 times
"Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning" .... Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Clover, Lake Wylie area. We are just across the border from Charlotte NC and plenty of medical facilities there. In addition we are a couple of hours from the mountains and three hours to the beach. Fort Mill and Clover have excellent schools for your daughters.

In addition the cost of living will probably be less in South Carolina. I have always felt we have the best of both worlds ... the Atlantic Ocean and the Great Smoky Mountains. In addition we live across the border in South Carolina and still have the benefits of a larger city Charlotte.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 AM

First off, thanks all for the replies. I appreciate it.

My wife, kids and I are coming to visit in late Oct/early November.

If I can pester a bit more...

And I don't want to start a run of negativity, because we are relocating that way in the near future and have the highest hopes, but...

...are there differences, from customs, climates, attitudes, to manners, that a "Southern/Texan" (my wife) and a rural Western kid (myself, and yes they do still exist out here, they're just dwindling...) should be aware of?

I just don't want to be caught off-guard, or give a bad impression...

Old 07-26-2013, 07:42 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,408 times
Avoid Sumter in late July. It's freakin' HOT and HUMID!
Seriously, being in the middle of the state and surrounded by swamps makes Sumter seem 10 degrees hotter than any other place in the state.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times
andtigertoo,
To answer your question, it is the same as how you grew up.
Please don't honk your horn at every little thing, that is what nasty
northerners do.
Other than that, I think you will feel very comfortable here in SC with your
background.
Trust me, I grew up in Arizona, so I know you will feel fine here.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:33 AM

Butterfly4u,

Thank you for the encouragement. I believe it is going to be a great new area for my family and I...

If I may, are there any general or specific differences or similarities with living in Arizona which surprised you?

Again, thank you for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina