Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 PM

18 posts, read 48,644 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Minnesota and we want to find a better place to live with nicer climate then below zero winters. We found that South Carolina has really nice climate that doesn't get too hot in the summer like Florida does and doesn't have all the tourism. I have listed some requirements below I have a inquire into The Reserve at Lake Keowee was wondering if that is more seasonal people that live there.

Requirements:

Young families with young kids (very important at the top of the list) We want our kids to be outside playing with other kids. One issue we want to move is everyone hibernates in the winters here.
Good private schools
Lake front if possible and mountains.
Has a pool in the neighborhood and golf, restaurants would be nice.
Homes over $1 million.
Small town feel.

Let me know what areas you would recommend. Thanks

Adam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:11 AM

18 posts, read 48,644 times
I hope someone would at least make some recommendations.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 AM

467 posts, read 542,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredmedia View Post
I hope someone would at least make some recommendations.
Check out the Seneca area near Clemson University. Two pristine lakes up there. You can buy an expensive house on Lake Keowee. It is near the mountains. They have some neighborhood functions where you can meet other people with kids and what not. I think there is at least one golf course n'hood up there and several with pools.

Seneca is a small town plus Clemson and Pendleton are small towns with some stuff to do.

I assume there are some good private schools up there but the Clemson school district is one of the best public ones in the state.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,980 times
Maybe the east side of Greenville? Seems like more families in that area, while Seneca/Clemson area is nice it seems to be more oriented towards retirees.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
Wired,
You are definately talking about Aiken, SC.
Juliard is here, excellent private schools, it's your area.
Research online Aiken, sc.
You must visit. Trust me.
You will love it.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Dunes West, Mt. Pleasant SC.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:28 AM

12 posts, read 18,638 times
I second Aiken!
We moved here from NYC to raise our son. There are tons of young families! Mead Hall is the private Episcopal school in town (3K-12) and St Mary's is the Catholic School (pre-K-8 I believe) 40 min away there's also a great private school called Augusta Prep (3K-12) that actually runs a bus service from Aiken. (It's in Martinez, GA)
There are definitely houses for over a million. Mostly downtown. The downtown is very charming and Northerners used to come to Aiken to ride horses in the winter (still do!) and built some fabulous homes. So you can buy a historic house in downtown Aiken with 1-5 acres for about $500k-3 million. The more affordable housing is outside of town in newer subdivisions.
The horse culture is big in Aiken. You don't have to like horses but it's fun to see them around town and attend horse events like Steeplechase and polo games.
There are a few country clubs with pools, tennis, golf, dining, and summer camps. Houndslake and Woodside are probably the most popular with families.
There are a couple good restaurants in town. And Aiken definitely has a nice small town feel. But is surprisingly cosmopolitan. Horses bring in a lot of wealth and people from abroad. Like pp touched on, Juilliard students come down once a year to perform and do workshops in schools. There's also a nice community theater.

What do you guys do for work?
Let me know if you have more questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina