Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM

32 posts, read 51,830 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
Family of 4 - with 2 young kids.
In the medical & accounting field.
Currently live in S/E MI near Ann Arbor
Looking for a community very similar to Brighton MI -
wants...
- within 1 hour of airport, level 1 trauma center, zoos etc.
- within 10 minutes or so of great parks
- family friendly
- walkable downtown area (doesn't have to be large)
- grocery/Target within 10 minutes
- great elementary, middle, high schools

Hoping to visit NC & SC this summer & have a areas to check out! Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin's Mommy View Post
Looking for a community very similar to Brighton MI -
wants...
- within 1 hour of airport, level 1 trauma center, zoos etc.
I have no idea what Brighton Michigan is like, and I had to look up what a level 1 Trauma center is. So the start the discussion, there are only three ACS verified level 1 trauma center in the state: Columbia, Charleston and Myrtle Beach: SOUTH CAROLINA
Medical University Hospital Authority Charleston Level I Trauma Center 11/8/14
Palmetto Health Richland Columbia Level I Trauma Center 6/20/16
Grand Strand Regional Medical Center Myrtle Beach Level II Trauma Center 1/24/15

If you count the 2 in the Charlotte area, then you could be within 1 hour of Charlotte. There are lots of family-friendly suburbs in the York/Lexington County area, so you might check that sub-forum.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:52 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
OP, while not from MI, we came down here (currently live in a burb of Columbia) from Madison Wi in 09. We were looking for some of the same things we had back home, all wrapped up in a warmer winter climate lol.

To answer some of your q's, in no particular order.

-I believe there is at least one Level 1 trauma center here, 'locals' could confirm that.
-Columbia has a regional airport that is quite nice, just have to watch the fares. We are maybe 1.5 hrs from Charlotte for more options.
-The Riverbanks Zoo here is one of the top zoos in the southeast if not further out.
-Some nice parks in and around the city, plus Congaree Nat'l Forest as well as several rivers flowing thru the area and Lake Murray on the west side.
-As for a walkable downtown area, Columbia actually has a couple different 'districts' set up. Main st, the 'Vista' and 'Five Points'. Not necessarily all within walking distance of each other, though not impossible either. As i dont spend a lot of time in town, i'd defer to others for their pros and cons. In my opinion, if we're looking to spend time in one of the SC cities, we head down to Charleston (historical) or Greenville (to us more of a 'Main St' vibe). But that's just my .02 on this part, no knock against Columbia. But we chose to live in this area for what it offered and for it's more central location to offer day trips to the other spots.
- schools can vary somewhat, seems from what i've heard/read (we're empty nesters down here) there are some districts better off then others. So finding homes in the areas that feed into the better schools seems to be what is suggested. I know my friends/neighbors out here in Lexington/Richland district 5 give it higher praises, but i'm sure there are other school systems to consider as well. Again i'll defer on that one.
- grocery: plenty of chains all over, mostly Bi-lo, Food Lion, Kroger, and Publix. Targets and WM's are fairly convenient as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina