Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:39 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Big difference between being a bigot and not accepting a union based on personal morals and beliefs. (It's called disagreement) You are just as petty with your sterotypical name calling.

As of right now, it is illegal for same sex marriages to be valid in SC....I've been hearing a lot of noise, but nothing has changed until the State Supreme Court has its final say.

The judge can keep accepting those applications, and there's a very good chance (due to the overall political nature of the state and Supreme Court Appointees) that they will end up in the garbage.
Personal opinion... I hope you're wrong. What others have said is correct that they're just delaying the inevitable. I'm surprised South Carolina got to this before Georgia, but pleasantly so.

Equality for South Carolina!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Big difference between being a bigot and not accepting a union based on personal morals and beliefs. (It's called disagreement) You are just as petty with your sterotypical name calling.

As of right now, it is illegal for same sex marriages to be valid in SC....I've been hearing a lot of noise, but nothing has changed until the State Supreme Court has its final say.

The judge can keep accepting those applications, and there's a very good chance (due to the overall political nature of the state and Supreme Court Appointees) that they will end up in the garbage.
Personal morals end where the rights of others begin. Marriage equality will be fact in South Carolina as the 4th Judicial Circuit has already ruled. These are just delay tactics by Alan Wilson.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:52 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
On tonight's news Alan Wilson said his actions aren't because he is against same-sex marriage but because his job is to defend the state's constitution and the state's constitution bans same-sex marriage. Haley said on last night's news that she would abide by what the federal courts says. I was thinking, though: the only thing the federal judge is hearing is whether or not the Lexington couple's marriage that was performed in another state will be recognized by SC, right? Since she isn't hearing a case on whether or SC will issue marriage licenses and recognize same-sex marriages performed in this state, will that issue be a different issue for a different day?

Old 10-10-2014, 06:46 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
For the pro gay marriage contingent- I would count having Wilson against you as a blessing. Everyone I know with knowledge of him or who are in the more active part of the legal community think he is an absolute hack. This includes a die-hard Republican who actually threw up a yard sign for his last opponent and a faculty member at a law school.

So break out the popcorn and wait for the brilliant legal strategerie (tm GWB) to commence.

The real question is how hard do Haley/Wilson fight and how fast do they flip when they (or she at a minimum) try for the national stage.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:54 AM

Haley said on the news she'll abide by whatever the federal court decides. It's on tape. It would be prime time material to demonstrate how she went back on her word.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:32 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
On tonight's news Alan Wilson said his actions aren't because he is against same-sex marriage but because his job is to defend the state's constitution and the state's constitution bans same-sex marriage. Haley said on last night's news that she would abide by what the federal courts says. I was thinking, though: the only thing the federal judge is hearing is whether or not the Lexington couple's marriage that was performed in another state will be recognized by SC, right? Since she isn't hearing a case on whether or SC will issue marriage licenses and recognize same-sex marriages performed in this state, will that issue be a different issue for a different day?
My understanding is that the ruling in Virginia will result in marriage equality in South Carolina regardless of where the couple was married. Even if it didn't, there are many other couples in the state that will file suit if they are denied marriage licenses in South Carolina. Since the 4th Circuit has ruled and the Supreme Court didn't accept an appeal, the only question is which day marriage equality will come to South Carolina. The sooner, the better.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:49 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Sure, not "accepting" a union doesn't make you a bigot, but if extend your "disagreement" into the form of opposing gay people being treated equally under our civil, secular law, then you absolutely are a bigot.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 AM

There's no accepting or not accepting a legal union. Religiously a person can "accept" or not "accept" anything they wish.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:14 AM

It'll be a while, maybe quite a while if some loop hole throws a wrench in the spokes. I'm not convinced that it's as simple as being bound by the ruling of the 4th Circuit court.

Judge May Hold Hearing Over SC Same-Sex Marriage

Old 10-15-2014, 04:59 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
It'll be a while, maybe quite a while if some loop hole throws a wrench in the spokes. I'm not convinced that it's as simple as being bound by the ruling of the 4th Circuit court.

Judge May Hold Hearing Over SC Same-Sex Marriage
Fortunately it is, precisely, that simple. That's entirely the point of the system of Common Law that American jurisprudence is based on. Specifically, in this case, the concept of vertical stare decisis. As a subordinate court to the 4th Circuit, Judge Childs is bound to follow the ruling made by the 4th in Bostic, just as Judges Cogburn and Osteen in the Western and Middle Districts of North Carolina were bound when they made their rulings this past week in General Synod of the United Church of Christ v. Cooper, Fisher-Borne v. Smith, and Gerber and Berlin v. Cooper.

Beyond that, let's assume for some reason Judge Childs went off the rails and found in favor of the defendants here. The plaintiffs will then appeal to the 4th Circuit who'll overturn Childs' ruling faster than you can say "Oyez" precisely because they just ruled on this matter. I think the decision Childs has before her is much more simple - whether to simply rule in favor of the Plaintiffs or allow Haley and Wilson to grandstand and pander in her courtroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina